need BB with Swiss threads

Old April 20th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default need BB with Swiss threads

My beloved Peugeot Safari 500 (nearly 20 years old) will be consigned
soon to the dump unless I can locate this bottom bracket:

68x126mm shaft
35x1mm cups
Swiss threads

Does anyone have a clue where to find one?
Thanks, Herb
Old April 20th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:46:12 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

My beloved Peugeot Safari 500 (nearly 20 years old) will be consigned
soon to the dump unless I can locate this bottom bracket:

68x126mm shaft
35x1mm cups
Swiss threads

Does anyone have a clue where to find one?
Thanks, Herb

Dear Herb,

Get in touch with Andrew Muzi at
www.yellowjersey.org.

Andrew is switching to a new ISP, so he's too busy to post on RBT
right now, but he may know the answer to your question.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old April 20th 08, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

My beloved Peugeot Safari 500 (nearly 20 years old) will be consigned
soon to the dump unless I can locate this bottom bracket:

68x126mm shaft
35x1mm cups
Swiss threads

Does anyone have a clue where to find one?
Thanks, Herb

Dear Herb,

Get in touch with Andrew Muzi at
www.yellowjersey.org.

Andrew is switching to a new ISP, so he's too busy to post on RBT
right now, but he may know the answer to your question.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Aha!

"French Metric Parts"

"For bottom brackets (crank bearing assemblies) We have many original
parts and a good selection of modern replacements both for French
(m35x1) and for Swiss (the same but with a reversed right cup) frame
threads."
http://www.yellowjersey.org/frogstem.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Old April 20th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Apr 19, 9:46*pm, wrote:
My beloved Peugeot Safari 500 (nearly 20 years old) will be consigned
soon to the dump unless I can locate this bottom bracket:

68x126mm shaft
35x1mm cups
Swiss threads

Does anyone have a clue where to find one?
Thanks, Herb

Depends on how beloved the frame is BUT..I have run a english tap thru
an old frame with Swiss threading and then used a english BB. My
Sutherlands is at work but French is 'italian type' threading and
Swiss is 'english type', referring to the cup direction..so ya 'may'
try it.
Old April 20th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave Mayer

wrote in message
My beloved Peugeot Safari 500 (nearly 20 years old) will be consigned
soon to the dump unless I can locate this bottom bracket:

So the cups are pitted? Usually the spindle and balls go long before the
cups. If the cups can be saved, then just replace the balls & spindle. The
balls are standard 1/4" and the spindle for this unit has the same
dimensions as English threaded BBs.

BTW: the left cup on this is the same as a French-threaded unit, which will
be more common than Swiss. So the only really rare part of your bottom
bracket is the drive-side cup.

Old April 20th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

My beloved Peugeot Safari 500 (nearly 20 years old) will be consigned
soon to the dump unless I can locate this bottom bracket:

68x126mm shaft
35x1mm cups
Swiss threads

Does anyone have a clue where to find one?
Thanks, Herb

Dear Herb,

Get in touch with Andrew Muzi atwww.yellowjersey.org.

Andrew is switching to a new ISP, so he's too busy to post on RBT
right now, but he may know the answer to your question.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Have emailed yellowjersey. Thanks!
Old April 20th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 20, 5:37*am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
wrote:
On Apr 19, 9:46*pm, wrote:

My beloved Peugeot Safari 500 (nearly 20 years old) will be consigned
soon to the dump unless I can locate this bottom bracket:

68x126mm shaft
35x1mm cups
Swiss threads

Does anyone have a clue where to find one?
Thanks, Herb

Depends on how beloved the frame is BUT..I have run a english tap thru
an old frame with Swiss threading and then used a english BB. My
Sutherlands is at work but French is 'italian type' threading and
Swiss is 'english type', referring to the cup direction..so ya 'may'
try it.

I had the same notion, which evoked dismissive responses from
several mechanics. Where can I buy those two English taps?
Recommended brands?
Thanks, Herb

P.S. What is a "Sutherlands"?
Old April 20th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 20, 8:10*am, "Dave Mayer" wrote:
wrote in message

My beloved Peugeot Safari 500 (nearly 20 years old) will be consigned
soon to the dump unless I can locate this bottom bracket:

So the cups are pitted? *Usually the spindle and balls go long before the
cups. *If the cups can be saved, then just replace the balls & spindle. *The
balls are standard 1/4" and the spindle for this unit has the same
dimensions as English threaded BBs.

BTW: the left cup on this is the same as a French-threaded unit, which will
be more common than Swiss. *So the only really rare part of your bottom
bracket is the drive-side cup.

The drive-side cup is not only pitted; it is fractured through 50% of
the circumference.
Balls are missing, and pitting is pervasive. The "really rare part"
is also the most kaputt.
Thanks, Herb

Swiss banks Donald Munro Racing 10 July 25th 07 01:28 PM
DT Swiss RR 1.1 Rims CG Techniques 0 June 21st 06 08:00 PM
DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims? [email protected] Techniques 52 January 4th 06 08:43 PM
Swiss Thong ! Keith Racing 0 June 19th 05 04:18 PM