Good Mirror that clamps on handlebars?

Old March 16th 09, 04:41 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
ATP*

Default Good Mirror that clamps on handlebars?

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
ATP* (and Dolan)...

If the bicycle is vibrating because of a bad road surface, then rider
will vibrate as well as the mirror attached to the helmet of the
rider ;^). A helmet mounted mirror is not superior just because Ed
"Zarathustra" Dolan says it is. The helmet mirror is viewed with only
one eye which introduces a whole other set of problems.

Dolan needs to refrain from emphatically expounding upon topics he
knows little or nothing about in order to spare himself continued self-
inflicted embarrassment. Has anyone ever seen a motorcycle rider with
a helmet mounted mirror? As Tom Sherman correctly pointed out,
motorcycles have handlebar mounted mirrors.. Tom also stated that he
has the Mirrycle Mountain mirrors on several 'bents, and they do not
vibrate relative to the handlebars if everything is properly tightened
up.

It is worth noting that Dolan has not indicated that he has had any
experience with this particular mirror (because he hasn't). It is also
worth noting that both Tom and I have and Dolan has repeatedly
indicated that Tom is a recumbent guru of sorts whose opinion he
respects, so why then doesn't Dolan just shut up? Well, because it is
just not in his nature to be agreeable, rational and sensible.

In spite of Dolan's errant assertions to the contrary, a handlebar
mounted mirror is not ALWAYS (one of Dolan's favorite words) in the
way, nor does it quickly become a nuisance. Had the nuisance (Dolan)
bothered to check the links I provided, he would have realized that
there are various mount options specifically intended to address this
very problem (one which I don't have). Granted, some handlebar
mounted mirrors are decidedly flimsy and do vibrate considerably. It
just so happens the Mirrycle Mirror is extremely rigid and, as Tom
Sherman pointed out, does not vibrate in relation to the handlebar.
Had to mention that a second time it would not escape the Doloan's
attention.

ATP* ... understand that Dolan has a bug up his ass when it comes to
Sherman and myself, so you need to take this into consideration when
he responds to either of us. You can take my word and/or that of Tom
Sherman or you can take the word of Dolan who has not experience with
this particular mirror. Tom and I are trying to be helpful whereas
Dolan obviously has ONLY an axe to grind.

Jim McNamara

I appreciate everyone's input. Ed certainly has a style of his own!

Old March 16th 09, 06:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"JimmyMac" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

ATP* (and Dolan)...

If the bicycle is vibrating because of a bad road surface, then rider
will vibrate as well as the mirror attached to the helmet of the
rider ;^). A helmet mounted mirror is not superior just because Ed
"Zarathustra" Dolan says it is. The helmet mirror is viewed with only
one eye which introduces a whole other set of problems.

The bicycle will vibrate more than will the rider. One eye is more than
sufficient provided you are not an idiot.

Dolan needs to refrain from emphatically expounding upon topics he
knows little or nothing about in order to spare himself continued self-
inflicted embarrassment. Has anyone ever seen a motorcycle rider with
a helmet mounted mirror? As Tom Sherman correctly pointed out,
motorcycles have handlebar mounted mirrors.. Tom also stated that he
has the Mirrycle Mountain mirrors on several 'bents, and they do not
vibrate relative to the handlebars if everything is properly tightened
up.

If the entire bicycle vibrates, then so will any mirror mounted to it.
Motorcycles are heavy vehicles and do not vibrate much for a number of
reasons.

It is worth noting that Dolan has not indicated that he has had any
experience with this particular mirror (because he hasn't). It is also
worth noting that both Tom and I have and Dolan has repeatedly
indicated that Tom is a recumbent guru of sorts whose opinion he
respects, so why then doesn't Dolan just shut up? Well, because it is
just not in his nature to be agreeable, rational and sensible.

The main person who needs to shut up is JimmyMac. He never knows what he
is talking about when it comes to bicycles, although I must admit he is
knowledgeable about computers. Only a few select individuals in the entire
history of the world are knowledgeable about everything. Ed Dolan the
Great is such a person. Yea, he is truly a Renaissance Man.

In spite of Dolan's errant assertions to the contrary, a handlebar
mounted mirror is not ALWAYS (one of Dolan's favorite words) in the
way, nor does it quickly become a nuisance. Had the nuisance (Dolan)
bothered to check the links I provided, he would have realized that
there are various mount options specifically intended to address this
very problem (one which I don't have). Granted, some handlebar
mounted mirrors are decidedly flimsy and do vibrate considerably. It
just so happens the Mirrycle Mirror is extremely rigid and, as Tom
Sherman pointed out, does not vibrate in relation to the handlebar.
Had to mention that a second time it would not escape the Doloan's
attention.

It is impossible to mount a mirror to the bicycle where it will not become
a nuisance. And all such mirrors will vibrate.

ATP* ... understand that Dolan has a bug up his ass when it comes to
Sherman and myself, so you need to take this into consideration when
he responds to either of us. You can take my word and/or that of Tom
Sherman or you can take the word of Dolan who has not experience with
this particular mirror. Tom and I are trying to be helpful whereas
Dolan obviously has ONLY an axe to grind.

All mirrors that mount to the bicycle are worthless. The only way to go is
with a helmet mirror. Thus spake Zarathustra.

I urge JimmyMac to strive to become humble and self-effacing like Ed Dolan
the Great. He should also strive for Saintliness like Saint Edward the
Great. No one likes anyone who is a self-important braying jackass. If he
is not careful, he will end up a hermit like me!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

aka

On Mar 15, 10:46 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"JimmyMac" wrote in message

On Mar 14, 12:47 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"JimmyMac" wrote in message

On Feb 16, 10:51 pm, "ATP*" wrote:

I have high racer type bars that turn down at the ends, so the typical
bar-end handlebar mirror won't work. I have a Bell mirror that clamps
on
the
handlebar but it's almost completely worthless, like all the other
accessories now marketed by that firm. It is not only distorted but is
just
a flimsy POS. I'm looking for an old-fashioned type of mirror that
clamps
on, any ideas? I may have to adapt a motorcycle mirror. Thanks.

Here is another good option for you. ... the very sturdy (well made,
vibration free, w/glass reflector), and highly adjustable Mirrycle
Mirror. The problem is that it is intended to mount in the end of the
hanlebar. I have mine moundet to a handlebar clamp made by Minoura.
A few places sell the mirror in this configuration. Check the
following links, for example...
[...]

All mirrors that mount to the bicycle handlebars or anywhere else on the
bicycle are worthless. The vibration factor alone will drive you nuts.
The
only way to go is with a mirror that mounts to your helmet or one that
will
attach to your glasses. An added advantage of such a mirror is that it
moves
as you move your head. Who could ask for anything more!

ATP ... understand that Ed Dolan, with complete and utter absence of

any firsthand experience whatsoever is not in the very least deterred
from boldly expounding with assumed authority about something he knows
absolutely nothing about. This is a bad habit of Dolan's which serves
to only to undermine his credibility.. The Mirrycle Mirror is the most
rigid mirror of its type that I have ever encountered. I specifically
purchased it because it is vibration free.

If the bicycle is vibrating because of a bad road surface (very common
hereabouts), then any mirror attached to the bicycle will also vibrate.
Furthermore, any mirror attached to the bicycle will always be in the way
and quickly becomes a nuisance. A helmet mirror avoids all of these
annoyances besides being simply a superior way of seeing what is behind
you.
Thus spake Zarathustra!

Old March 17th 09, 01:16 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

On Mar 16, 1:11*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"JimmyMac" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

ATP* (and Dolan)...

If the bicycle is vibrating because of a bad road surface, then the rider
will vibrate as well as the mirror attached to the helmet of the
rider ;^). *A helmet mounted mirror is not superior just because Ed
"Zarathustra" Dolan says it is. *The helmet mirror is viewed with only
one eye which introduces a whole other set of problems.

The bicycle will vibrate more than will the rider. One eye is more than
sufficient provided you are not an idiot.

In what way is the one eye solution superior? One eye does not
provide for three-dimensional imaging (depth perception). In the U.S.
that one eye would be your left which may or may not be your eye of
ocular dominance (In normal binocular vision the dominant eye is the
one relied upon for precise positional information.). Time to get up
to speed, Ed.

FACT: What one chooses to believe is the reality that one forges.
Whether true or not, ones behavior is influenced by what one
believes. Your tirades are predicated on intolerance of even the
slightest divergence from what you construe to true. A reasonable man
adapts himself to the world whereas an unreasonable man attempts to
adapt the world to himself. You are most certainly the latter.

Dolan needs to refrain from emphatically expounding upon topics he
knows little or nothing about in order to spare himself continued self-
inflicted embarrassment. *Has anyone ever seen a motorcycle rider with
a helmet mounted mirror? *As Tom Sherman correctly pointed out,
motorcycles have handlebar mounted mirrors.. *Tom also stated that he
has the Mirrycle Mountain mirrors on several 'bents, and they do not
vibrate relative to the handlebars if everything is properly tightened
up.

If the entire bicycle vibrates, then so will any mirror mounted to it.
Motorcycles are heavy vehicles and do not vibrate much for a number of
reasons.

If the bicycle vibrates, the rider vibrates and so does his head,
helmet and mirror. Until you try the solution I recommended, you have
nothing worthwhile to contribute except more errant assertions that
betray your ignorance..

It is worth noting that Dolan has not indicated that he has had any
experience with this particular mirror (because he hasn't). It is also
worth noting that both Tom and I have and Dolan has repeatedly
indicated that Tom is a recumbent guru of sorts whose opinion he
respects, so why then doesn't Dolan just shut up? *Well, because it is
just not in his nature to be agreeable, rational and sensible.

The main person who needs to shut up is JimmyMac. He never knows what he
is talking about when it comes to bicycles,

Opinion state as fact. I have built several bicycles (uright adn
recumbents) from the ground up. I know as much about about bicycles
as I do about computers which is much more than Dolan knows about
either.

Although he wouldn't know a valid point even if introduced to it,
Dolan hates to lose an argument although he should be used to it by
now. When Dolan doesn't understand something, he merely attempts to
conceal his ignorance by discrediting an idea with the introduction of
a gratuitous, dismissive epithet.

although I must admit he is
knowledgeable about computers. Only a few select individuals in the entire
history of the world are knowledgeable about everything. Ed Dolan the
Great is such a person. Yea, he is truly a Renaissance Man.

For most of his life, Dolan has wrestled with reality until delusion
eventually triumphed!

In spite of Dolan's errant assertions to the contrary, a handlebar
mounted mirror is not ALWAYS (one of Dolan's favorite words) in the
way, nor does it quickly become a nuisance. *Had the nuisance (Dolan)
bothered to check the links I provided, he would have realized that
there are various mount options specifically intended to address this
very problem (one which I don't have). *Granted, some handlebar
mounted mirrors are decidedly flimsy and do vibrate considerably. *It
just so happens the Mirrycle Mirror is extremely rigid and, as Tom
Sherman pointed out, does not vibrate in relation to the handlebar.
Had to mention that a second time it would not escape the Doloan's
attention.

It is impossible to mount a mirror to the bicycle where it will not become
a nuisance. And all such mirrors will vibrate.

And you base this on waht ... your complete and utter lack of
experience with this particular mirror? An informed opinion would be
beneficial and that has already been given by both myself and Tom
Sherman. The only nuisance is not the mirror but rather you. I have
no problem with this mirror. Tom has no problem with this mirror.
Then again we can draw upon firsthand experience and you can draw only
upon what, pray tell? Until you check the links and experience the
recommended mirror first hand, you have nothing further to offer us
here other than your persistent, adamant, myopic campaign of useless
disinformation.

ATP* ... understand that Dolan has a bug up his ass when it comes to
Sherman and myself, so you need to take this into consideration when
he responds to either of us. *You can take my word and/or that of Tom
Sherman or you can take the word of Dolan who has not experience with
this particular mirror. *Tom and I are trying to be helpful whereas
Dolan obviously has ONLY an axe to grind.

All mirrors that mount to the bicycle are worthless.

All is another favorite, often misused word of Doaln's.

The only way to go

Only is yet another one.

with a helmet mirror. Thus spake *Zarathustra.

I repeat ... One eye does not provide for three-dimensional imaging
(depth perception). In the U.S. that one eye would be your left which
may or may not be your eye of ocular dominance (In normal binocular
vision the dominant eye is the one relied upon for precise positional
information). Time to get up to speed, Zarathustra.

I urge JimmyMac to strive to become humble and self-effacing like Ed Dolan
the Great. He should also strive for Saintliness like Saint Edward the
Great.

Ed Dolan is very religious. He worships the very ground upon which he
walks.

No one likes anyone who is a self-important braying jackass.

That explains your overwhelming lack of popularity.

If he is not careful, he will end up a hermit like me!

Never happen. That which constitutes a level of self-realization, but
escapes Dolan's poor powers of perception is the notion that living
solely for the self is the ultimate failing and definitive expression
of arrogance. A victim of your own dotage, Dolan is destined to be
die a lonely and bitter man.

Old March 17th 09, 05:20 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"JimmyMac" wrote in message

[...]

One eye focused rearward is like having a third eye. A helmet mirror is so
close to the eye that depth perception is not a problem.

FACT: What one chooses to believe is the reality that one forges.

Whether true or not, ones behavior is influenced by what one
believes. Your tirades are predicated on intolerance of even the
slightest divergence from what you construe to true. A reasonable man
adapts himself to the world whereas an unreasonable man attempts to
adapt the world to himself. You are most certainly the latter.

I am willing to be adaptable when discussing philosophical matters, but not
when discussing bicycle mirrors. I trim my conversation to suit the subject.
[...]

If the entire bicycle vibrates, then so will any mirror mounted to it.
Motorcycles are heavy vehicles and do not vibrate much for a number of
reasons.

If the bicycle vibrates, the rider vibrates and so does his head,

helmet and mirror. Until you try the solution I recommended, you have
nothing worthwhile to contribute except more errant assertions that
betray your ignorance..

The rider does not vibrate like the bicycle does.

It is worth noting that Dolan has not indicated that he has had any
experience with this particular mirror (because he hasn't). It is also
worth noting that both Tom and I have and Dolan has repeatedly
indicated that Tom is a recumbent guru of sorts whose opinion he
respects, so why then doesn't Dolan just shut up? Well, because it is
just not in his nature to be agreeable, rational and sensible.

The main person who needs to shut up is JimmyMac. He never knows what he
is talking about when it comes to bicycles,

Opinion state as fact. I have built several bicycles (uright adn

recumbents) from the ground up. I know as much about about bicycles
as I do about computers which is much more than Dolan knows about
either.

Anyone who thinks a mirror mounted to the bicycle is superior to a mirror
mounted to the helmet does not know much at all.

Although he wouldn't know a valid point even if introduced to it,
Dolan hates to lose an argument although he should be used to it by
now. When Dolan doesn't understand something, he merely attempts to
conceal his ignorance by discrediting an idea with the introduction of
a gratuitous, dismissive epithet.

Ed Dolan the Great knows all. He is a polymath besides being Great!
[...]

It is impossible to mount a mirror to the bicycle where it will not
become
a nuisance. And all such mirrors will vibrate.

And you base this on waht ... your complete and utter lack of

experience with this particular mirror? An informed opinion would be
beneficial and that has already been given by both myself and Tom
Sherman. The only nuisance is not the mirror but rather you. I have
no problem with this mirror. Tom has no problem with this mirror.
Then again we can draw upon firsthand experience and you can draw only
upon what, pray tell? Until you check the links and experience the
recommended mirror first hand, you have nothing further to offer us
here other than your persistent, adamant, myopic campaign of useless
disinformation.

All mirrors that mount to the bicycle are stuck with the same problems. They
will vibrate and be in the way.
[...]

I urge JimmyMac to strive to become humble and self-effacing like Ed
Dolan
the Great. He should also strive for Saintliness like Saint Edward the
Great.

Ed Dolan is very religious. He worships the very ground upon which he

walks.

No one likes anyone who is a self-important braying jackass.

That explains your overwhelming lack of popularity.

If he is not careful, he will end up a hermit like me!

Never happen. That which constitutes a level of self-realization, but

escapes Dolan's poor powers of perception is the notion that living
solely for the self is the ultimate failing and definitive expression
of arrogance. A victim of your own dotage, Dolan is destined to be
die a lonely and bitter man.

I advise you to keep your two dogs and to be kind to them as that is all you
will end up with for a certainty.

Old March 17th 09, 12:57 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

On Mar 16, 11:41*am, "ATP*" wrote:
"JimmyMac" wrote in message

[...]

A classic understatement. You're entirely too kind. Good he's hasn't
a twin.
Old March 17th 09, 01:13 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

Ed, as I predicted, and you aptly demonstrated ... you have nothing
worthwhile to add to the discussion. Regurgitated. unsubstantiated.
conjecture doesn't count. Stubbornly unwilling to become enlightened,
you assume that you know all that there is to know about everything.
Can you spell arrogance???

Old March 17th 09, 02:25 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
Ed, as I predicted, and you aptly demonstrated ... you have nothing

worthwhile to add to the discussion. Regurgitated. unsubstantiated.
conjecture doesn't count. Stubbornly unwilling to become enlightened,
you assume that you know all that there is to know about everything.
Can you spell arrogance???

My Greatness and My Saintliness are beyond you. But I press on regardless of
the Lilliputians I encounter along the way. Yea, the caravan moves on and
the dogs bark in the night. Only the Gods are able to appreciate My
Greatness and My Saintliness.
[...]

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Good 25.4mm road handlebars? Matt O'Toole Techniques 5 April 21st 06 08:34 PM
Mirror for drop handlebars required Smithy UK 4 July 1st 05 10:22 AM
front der. clamps Derk Techniques 3 June 8th 05 02:14 PM
Cinelli Contact Handlebars - any good? bryanska General 3 June 2nd 05 04:12 AM
FS: Pinarello Seat Clamps Scott Morrison Marketplace 0 January 5th 05 01:18 PM