8 speed STI to rapid fire shifter - suggestions?

Old August 2nd 05, 04:13 PM

Default 8 speed STI to rapid fire shifter - suggestions?

Hi,

I have a set of Sora STI shifters on my road bike that I want to swap
out with a set of rapid fire or twistgrip shifters. I am looking for
suggestions for what brand/style of shifters, either new or used, that
will work perfectly with the existing 8 cog freewheel and Sora
derailleur. I don't mind upgrading the low end derailleur - but only if
I have to.

BTW, the reason for the swap out is I prefer a more upright riding
position on this commuter, so I'll also be putting a set of moustache
bars on the bike.

Thanks.

--Brian

Old August 2nd 05, 09:05 PM
John Everett

On 2 Aug 2005 09:15:29 -0700, "Vee" wrote:

wrote:
Hi,

I have a set of Sora STI shifters on my road bike that I want to swap
out with a set of rapid fire or twistgrip shifters.

Any Shimano 8-speed shifter will work with the rear derailleur. So
will any SRAM 8 speed shifter that does NOT say "ESP" on it. I'm not
sure how well either would work on a moustache bar, though. People
typically run bar-end shifters with moustache bars. You should be able
to find some Ultegra or Dura Ace 8 speed bar-end (also called
"bar-con") shifters online.

Although I'm risking upsetting Sheldon yet again with this
observation, Dura Ace 8-speed shifters will NOT work with your
derailleur. DA 8-speed was a world unto itself, and not compatible
with any other Shimano group.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old August 2nd 05, 09:16 PM
Sheldon Brown

John Everett wrote:

Although I'm risking upsetting Sheldon yet again with this
observation, Dura Ace 8-speed shifters will NOT work with your
derailleur. DA 8-speed was a world unto itself, and not compatible
with any other Shimano group.

That's a bit of an oversimplification, though with a grain of truth.

Dura-Ace 8-speed shifters can work with other rear derailers, provided
you use the "alternate cable routing."

This is explained with illustrations on my page about Dura-Ace
interchangeabilitude:

http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace

Sheldon "DAMN IT, I AM _NOT_ UPSET!!!" Brown
| If one lets fear or hate or anger take possession |
| of the mind, they become self-forged chains. |
| --Helen Gahagan Douglas |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old August 3rd 05, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the helpful advice - it greatly helps my decision. As I
don't mind a friction shifter for the front derailleur, and I want my
shifter styles to match, I am planning to use any decent 8 speed,
index, twist grip shifter (not SRAM ESP) for the rear, and a matching 3
ring friction twist trip shifter for the front. Does this sound
reasonable?

--Brian

Old August 3rd 05, 04:22 PM
John Everett

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 16:16:59 -0400, Sheldon Brown

| If one lets fear or hate or anger take possession |
| of the mind, they become self-forged chains. |
| --Helen Gahagan Douglas |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon:

Does Harris Cyclery currently have any of those self-forged chains in
stock?

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old August 3rd 05, 04:26 PM
Sheldon Brown

Vee wrote:

I think you should take a careful look at twist shifters before you buy
a set for moustache bars. Will they fit at all? Ergonomics? Cable
routing?

That's very good advice. Most moustache bars are 15/16" (23.8 mm)
diameter, intended for drop-bar type controls.

All recent twist grip shifters are made for the skinnier 7/8" (22.2 mm)
standard used for upright type handlebars.

We have some NOS original Grip Shifts that _will_ fit the thicker bars,
if that works for you:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html#roadgrip

Sheldon "Ancient Twisties" Brown
| If someone walked down the street, howling and swearing at |
| pedestrians demanding that others get out of their way, |
| they'd be assumed to be on drugs, or mentally disturbed. |
| This behavior doesn't somehow become "normal" because that |
| person happens to be in a motor vehicle. |
| In fact, it's less acceptable given that the person |
| involved is driving an intrinsically dangerous |
| vehicle that requires skill and attention. --Tom Revay |