Carbon Fiber Base Thread...

Old December 31st 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniKid2

Default Carbon Fiber Base Thread...

In other words, Colin, no.

--
UniKid2

_*Approximate*_
'Countdown To OUI' 09' (http://tinyurl.com/6axmep)

*Vive le Québec Libre!*

unipsyco:i have tried my friend's kh and it's really killing my
knees..
sp4rky-m4rky:i swear you must be doing something wrong.
Old December 31st 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
colin340

maestro8;1160959 wrote:
Think about what you're doing.

You're bolting two very different materials together: one that will
bend before it breaks (steel), and another that'll break before it bends
(CF).

If you were going to bolt two stiffener plates together, or make a
thicker CF base, you'd have a stronger setup.

you made a good point about the two different materials
but CF loves to bend think road Bike Forks, Hockey Sticks, Helli Blades

steel and CF are both quite flexible

--
colin340
Old December 31st 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

colin340;1161422 wrote:
but CF loves to bend think road Bike Forks, Hockey Sticks, Helli Blades
steel and CF are both quite flexible

The objects you mentioned are things that should not be bending. Do
you really want to be in a helicopter whose blades are made of a
material that "loves to bend"?

I suggest you read the following link to understand the fundamental
differences between CF and steel, because those differences are huge.

'Mechanical properties of polymers' (http://pslc.ws/macrog/mech.htm)

Silly putty "loves to bend". On the contrary, CF and steel are quite
rigid.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
Old January 3rd 09, 11:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Fraggle

Just got my CF base through the post, a nice surprise as I wasn't
expecting it here till Monday. Gonna mark, drill and fit the base, then
mess about for a bit.

--
Fraggle

F.
Old January 3rd 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

hungry4uni;1160746 wrote:
In other words=

Unless I'm breaking plastic bases, there is no need for a CF base.

The only disagreement I have with you (Maestro) is cranks. Cranks will
limit your abilities. Spencer Hochberg and Jon Atwell wouldn't ride
there best on bad cranks. You need cranks that are designed for your
riding.

Good thing bad cranks are pretty good for flatland.

--
Jerrick

'*Bought it!*' (http://tinyurl.com/6ywusa)
*Press Alt+F4 to fix post
stretch.*[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]JC~
Old January 4th 09, 04:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

Jerrick;1163568 wrote:
Good thing bad cranks are pretty good for flatland.

Meh, they're so-so.

Good cranks are often horrible for flatland, though, so I
wholeheartedly agree. You can still do loads on a uni that is basically
junk, just sometimes not quite as easily or without breaking anything.

--
hobo_chuck
Old January 4th 09, 06:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hungry4uni

From pictures of moments, ( that I've seen ) they look pretty wide. Are
they good flat cranks?

--
hungry4uni

ŤŔϊãĻş

ЦИΪĈҰĆĻέ
my sponsor'
SixSixOne' (http://www.sixsixone.com)
Old January 4th 09, 06:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Moments are pretty skinny compared to Qu-ax, Profiles, and Koxx cranks.
Thats why Rolo discs came out. They are still usable.

Before I was talking about cotterless cranks, which are surprisingly
good cause they usually stick out quite a bit and give a good base for
your foot to be on.

Anyways, CF bases, haha. They are sweet.

Old January 4th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Fraggle

Jerrick;1163822 wrote:
Anyways, CF bases, haha. They are sweet.

Yurp, got my CF base through yesterday morning, it's great, feels so
much better than the plastic base.

--
Fraggle

F.
Old January 4th 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gerblefranklin

maestro8;1161434 wrote:
The objects you mentioned are things that should not be bending. Do you
really want to be in a helicopter whose blades are made of a material
that "loves to bend"?

I suggest you read the following link to understand the fundamental
differences between CF and steel, because those differences are huge.

'Mechanical properties of polymers' (http://pslc.ws/macrog/mech.htm)

Silly putty "loves to bend". On the contrary, CF and steel are quite
rigid.

Jason, i think that it is true that some CF is made to be flexible,
based on weave type, direction, and resin/epoxy used. However the cf
used in cf bases (in contrast to hockey sticks and bike forks, etc) is
designed to be as rigid as possible, and will not bend any reasonable
amount without cracking. Thus, the steel reinforcement will be all but
useless. If you are afraid of breaking a cf base, just put up the extra
cash for a Scott Wallis DeRail base.

CF bases will only make you a better rider if you are ripping plastic
seats and bases in half, and breaking the reinforcement plates.
Otherwise, cf is just another waste of money. (Mind you it's easy to
talk like this as someone who doesn't ride anything but cf for my seat
handles and bases)

--
gerblefranklin

(just ride)