Cycling perspectives 1 of 9

Old July 28th 14, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

Default Cycling perspectives 1 of 9

On 27/07/2014 19:25, JNugent wrote:

Not in a civilised country. There is no legal compulsion for carrying a
driving licence (still less a "driver's license") with one at all times.

As a pedantic point, in theory in the UK I thought we were required to
carry a driving licence.

AIUI the almost universal rule that the offence of not carrying a
licence will not be pursued if the document is produced at a police
station within 7 days is a privilege not a legal right.

Perhaps this is out of date the only time I have been asked by the
police to produce my licence was 20 to 30 years ago.

Old July 28th 14, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 28/07/2014 00:37, Nick wrote:

On 27/07/2014 19:25, JNugent wrote:

Not in a civilised country. There is no legal compulsion for carrying a
driving licence (still less a "driver's license") with one at all times.

As a pedantic point, in theory in the UK I thought we were required to
carry a driving licence.

Clearly not true.

AIUI the almost universal rule that the offence of not carrying a
licence will not be pursued if the document is produced at a police
station within 7 days is a privilege not a legal right.

Producing a licence is a defence against a charge (a particularly
ludicrous charge in these IT-ridden days when even road tax discs are
about to be abolished) of not having a driving licence - assuming one
was driving when asked for it.

Perhaps this is out of date the only time I have been asked by the
police to produce my licence was 20 to 30 years ago.

I don't have reason to believe that the law on that topic has changed
over that period (except perhaps to be consolidated within a new Act, on
the same terms).
Old July 28th 14, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
nick

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 00:54:10 +0100, JNugent wrote:

On 28/07/2014 00:37, Nick wrote:

On 27/07/2014 19:25, JNugent wrote:

Not in a civilised country. There is no legal compulsion for carrying a
driving licence (still less a "driver's license") with one at all times.

As a pedantic point, in theory in the UK I thought we were required to
carry a driving licence.

Clearly not true.

AIUI the almost universal rule that the offence of not carrying a
licence will not be pursued if the document is produced at a police
station within 7 days is a privilege not a legal right.

Producing a licence is a defence against a charge (a particularly
ludicrous charge in these IT-ridden days when even road tax discs are
about to be abolished) of not having a driving licence - assuming one
was driving when asked for it.

Not carrying your licence with you while driving is an offence; regardless of the details of
defences available and penalties awaiting.

Sound quite a lot like "legal compulsion" to me.

Old July 29th 14, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message ers.net,
Anonymous writes
In article
Nick wrote:

On 27/07/2014 19:25, JNugent wrote:

Not in a civilised country. There is no legal compulsion for carrying a
driving licence (still less a "driver's license") with one at all times.

As a pedantic point, in theory in the UK I thought we were required to
carry a driving licence.

No

AIUI the almost universal rule that the offence of not carrying a
licence will not be pursued if the document is produced at a police
station within 7 days is a privilege not a legal right.

No

Perhaps this is out of date the only time I have been asked by the
police to produce my licence was 20 to 30 years ago.

Probably

My understanding has always been that the offence was not not carrying
your motoring documents (licence, certificate of insurance and, where
applicable, MOT certificate), but instead it was failing to produce them
(there and then) at the request of a police officer.

--
Ian
Old July 30th 14, 09:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Nick[_4_]

On 29/07/2014 23:06, Ian Jackson wrote:

My understanding has always been that the offence was not not carrying
your motoring documents (licence, certificate of insurance and, where
applicable, MOT certificate), but instead it was failing to produce them
(there and then) at the request of a police officer.

Yep. I have now actually looked at the act rather than misremembered
other posts on the subject.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/165

The seven day rule is clear sections 3 and 4.

It was slightly topical for me as my son applied to have his driving
licence back six weeks ago and when he checked to see why they hadn't
sent it to him was told that it wouldn't be ready for another 4 weeks
but that he was ok to drive without it. They even promised to send him a
letter to that effect.

Old July 30th 14, 09:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
MrCheerful

On 30/07/2014 09:54, Nick wrote:
On 29/07/2014 23:06, Ian Jackson wrote:

My understanding has always been that the offence was not not carrying
your motoring documents (licence, certificate of insurance and, where
applicable, MOT certificate), but instead it was failing to produce them
(there and then) at the request of a police officer.

Yep. I have now actually looked at the act rather than misremembered
other posts on the subject.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/165

The seven day rule is clear sections 3 and 4.

It was slightly topical for me as my son applied to have his driving
licence back six weeks ago and when he checked to see why they hadn't
sent it to him was told that it wouldn't be ready for another 4 weeks
but that he was ok to drive without it. They even promised to send him a
letter to that effect.

They have an eight week turnaround on medical declarations at present,
seems like they are understaffed or very inefficient.
Old July 30th 14, 11:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Jnugent

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:54:31 +0100, Nick
wrote:

On 29/07/2014 23:06, Ian Jackson wrote:

My understanding has always been that the offence was not not carrying
your motoring documents (licence, certificate of insurance and, where
applicable, MOT certificate), but instead it was failing to produce them
(there and then) at the request of a police officer.

Yep. I have now actually looked at the act rather than misremembered
other posts on the subject.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/165

The seven day rule is clear sections 3 and 4.

It was slightly topical for me as my son applied to have his driving
licence back six weeks ago and when he checked to see why they hadn't
sent it to him was told that it wouldn't be ready for another 4 weeks
but that he was ok to drive without it. They even promised to send him a
letter to that effect.

Another instance of not needing anyone's permission to drive.
Old July 30th 14, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
John Kennerson

wrote:

[...]

Not really, the license isn't the piece of paper.

I know it wasn't JNugent that wrote that.

Old July 30th 14, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling
Phil W Lee[_3_]

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:11:17 -0400 (EDT), John Kennerson
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Waht part of

"...my son applied to have..."