Presta to Schrader

Old September 4th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mister2u

Default Presta to Schrader

I'd like to convert my rims to accept Schrader valves (the tubes are
cheaper and more reliable)
Has anyone done this?Would a standard file work or is a needle file
advisable?
Also I was going to use 27x1 1/4 tubes on 700x25 rims would this work?
Thanks
Old September 4th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 09:24:20 -0700 (PDT), Mister2u wrote:

I'd like to convert my rims to accept Schrader valves (the tubes are
cheaper and more reliable)
Has anyone done this?Would a standard file work or is a needle file
advisable?
Also I was going to use 27x1 1/4 tubes on 700x25 rims would this work?
Thanks

Yes, yes, no, yes.

A tapered reamer will do the job more easily; a needle file would (for
someone who would ask such questions in the first place) require perhaps
more skill than you may have.

Your estimation of reliability is arguable.
Old September 4th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian[_7_]

On Sep 4, 9:24*am, Mister2u wrote:
I'd like to convert my rims to accept Schrader valves (the tubes are
cheaper and more reliable)
Has anyone done this?Would a standard file work or is a needle file
advisable?
Also I was going to use 27x1 1/4 tubes on 700x25 rims would this work?
Thanks

I've gotten tired of dealing with flimsy Presta valves and switched
over to Schrader. I used a drill to enlarge the hole, and then a small
file to remove any burs. It only took a couple minutes to accomplish
the task. Just be careful to choose the correct size bit. AFA the tube
goes, you will probably have a difficult time getting that large tube
into a 25 tire. I'd go with 1" tubes.

--Brian
Old September 4th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Sep 4, 9:24*am, Mister2u wrote:
I'd like to convert my rims to accept Schrader valves (the tubes are
cheaper and more reliable)

I would dispute both of these premises. More available from Wal-Mart,
certainly. But not cheaper. And more reliable only in the sense of a
more reliable supply of compressed air.

Has anyone done this?Would a standard file work or is a needle file
advisable?

Most people use a 21/64" drill bit. If it's a narrow rim (say, 20mm
external) I wouldn't recommend it. If it's 22 or so, you should be
fine.

Also I was going to use 27x1 1/4 tubes on 700x25 rims would this work?

700c and 27" use the same tubes.

Thanks

Good luck!
Old September 4th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 4, 12:15*pm, _
wrote:
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 09:24:20 -0700 (PDT), Mister2u wrote:
I'd like to convert my rims to accept Schrader valves (the tubes are
cheaper and more reliable)
Has anyone done this?Would a standard file work or is a needle file
advisable?
Also I was going to use 27x1 1/4 tubes on 700x25 rims would this work?
Thanks

Yes, yes, no, yes.

A tapered reamer will do the job more easily; a needle file would (for
someone who would ask such questions in the first place) require perhaps
more skill than you may have.

Your estimation of reliability is arguable.

Not arguable at all. Schrader valves are far more reliable than
presta, as the presta interface with the tube is especially
vulnerable--not the design of the valve itself, which is fine. If a
rim is wide enough, like on my Alex DM18s I like on utility/tour/city
bikes--I prefer schrader for rock solid reliability. I also run the
largest tube that will fit, often a step up from what the tire states,
so there's no stretch to the tube as it inflates, for more belts and
suspenders. I even keep a vintage cap on the front of my daily rider
with a valve core tool, so that if I'm out riding and my valve goes
leaky--I can just pop a new one in without pulling the tube.
Old September 4th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

someone wrote:

I'd like to convert my rims to accept Schrader valves (the tubes are
cheaper and more reliable). Has anyone done this? Would a standard
file work or is a needle file advisable? Also I was going to use
27x1 1/4 tubes on 700x25 rims would this work?

I've been riding Presta valves for more years than most wreck.bike
readers can imagine and never had a failure other than stem
separations during the year when they were manufacturing defects.

The reason for using Presta valves is that they make a smaller hole in
the rim (the weak spot) and are easy to pump. On that note, I notice
a lot of CO2 cartridges lying along roads, so pumping seems no longer
popular in this affluent time.

Whether that size tube will fit your tires depends on how undersized
they are. 1-1/4" = 31.75mm, the same goes for Presta tubes, but they
are not that large, but rather, they are intended to go into tires up
to that size with a bit of stretch. Experiment with them to find the
largest tube that will fir your tires without wrinkles.

If you need to ask on how to enlarge the hole, get some help.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 4th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 4, 12:56*pm, wrote:

If you need to ask on how to enlarge the hole, get some help.

Jobst Brandt

is that psychological, or technical ?
Old September 5th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 4, 1:56 pm, wrote:

On that note, I notice a lot of CO2 cartridges lying along roads, so
pumping seems no longer
popular in this affluent time.
-- Jobst Brandt

This report amazes. Do good places to ride so much resemble shooting
galleries and back-alley brothels, littered with used needles and
condoms? Lots of CO2 cartridges? Has this thing for super-thin and
flat-vulnerable lightweight tires gone too far?

incredulous

Old September 5th 08, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 4, 6:30*pm, "
wrote:
On Sep 4, 1:56 pm, wrote:

*On that note, I notice a lot of CO2 cartridges lying along roads, so
pumping seems no longer
*popular in this affluent time.
* *-- * Jobst Brandt

This report amazes. Do good places to ride so much resemble shooting
galleries and back-alley brothels, littered with used needles and
condoms? Lots of CO2 cartridges? Has this thing for super-thin and
flat-vulnerable lightweight tires gone too far?

incredulous

it shouldn't be a problem to pick up your trash/ leave no trace
Old September 5th 08, 07:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

wrote:

I've been riding Presta valves for more years than most wreck.bike
readers can imagine and never had a failure other than stem
separations during the year when they were manufacturing defects.

I have broken off a small number of Presta stems while inflating tires
with a simple frame pump. That's never happened to me with a Schrader
valve, nor with any kind of pump that connects by way of a hose. I
have also observed quite a few bent and broken center bolts on Presta
valves, and Schrader valves are immune to this.

Schrader valves are simply better, which is why they are used on many
different kinds of equipment. That said, most of my 26" and 700c
wheeled bikes have Presta-drilled rims which I tolerate for the sake
of rim strength.

Chalo