"Urbanite" steel touring or hybrid frame - any happy owners?

Old July 13th 03, 04:11 PM
mark freedman

Default "Urbanite" steel touring or hybrid frame - any happy owners?

One option for replacing my broken Mikado (ptui)
D'Iberville touring frame is this frame made for the
Urbane Cyclist store here.

Has the conventional horizontal top tube geometry
and, because of the 132.5 rear spacing, will accept the
LX hubs so I can just swap wheels over.

Don't know about the straight (non curved) forks.
Salesperson explained that modern materials are strong
enough to allow the proper angle from the fork crown
instead of needing curved fork blades. Want chromed
fork tips since paint gets trashed when I clamp the QR.

Not sure about the threadless headset, which forces me
to buy a new stem. I've read that they're lighter and stiffer
but have less flexibility when adjusting height.

http://www.ucycle.com/bikes/urbtour.html

"Double butted 4130 CroMoly frame, tig welded.
Fully chromed fork with low-rider braze-ons, threadless.
Metal fleck Forest Green paint
1" head tube
Long horizontal dropouts, 132.5mm OLD. 2 rack eyelets in rear, one in
front.
Clearance for 38C slicks front and rear, room for even fatter tires
in the rear. "
3 bottle braze-ons, seat tube, down tube top, down tube bottom
Curved chain and seat stays allow for lots of heel clearance "

A cheaper alternative with a threaded headset so I can use
my old stem is:

http://www.ucycle.com/bikes/urbhybrid.html

"A traditional road frame with a difference, it's designed for
cantilever brakes. Why? This makes it the ultimate versatile frame for
road riding, commuting, light touring and even a bit of cyclocross
riding, since there's clearance for fat tires and fenders and front
and rear dropout brazeons."

"Plain guage 4130 cromoly frame
TIG welded construction
1" threaded headset
Double rear eyelets
Single front eyelets
Vertical dropouts
Seatstay rack bosses
Seatstay bridge drilled for fender mounting
2 sets water bottle bosses: downtube and seat-tube
headtube cable guides designed for dual control road shifters or
bar-end shifters
or offroad shifters with straight, riser or priest bars.
Unicrown straight-bladed fork, drilled for fender mounting
Urbanite Stealth Blue "

Any comments or, better yet, anecdotes from happy customers
are appreciated.

TIA
Old July 13th 03, 04:48 PM
Robin Hubert

"mark freedman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The touring rig, without a doubt. Looks like something Surly ought to be
doing.

--
Robin Hubert

Old July 14th 03, 12:41 AM
A Muzi

[...]

Better LBS do a fit consultation and swap out the stem rather than _selling_
you the necessary part to get you positioned properly on your new bicycle.
It isn't a hardship because we'll use your take-off stem for someone else's
bike.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org