recommendations for removing scratches from rims

Old November 19th 12, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

Default recommendations for removing scratches from rims

Aluminum rims.
Old November 19th 12, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Nov 19, 7:26*am, Duane Hébert wrote:
Aluminum rims.

Can you be more specific about nature of the scratches, location,
existing surface etc.?
DR
Old November 19th 12, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Monday, November 19, 2012 9:26:42 AM UTC-5, Duane Hébert wrote:
Aluminum rims.

try CRC belt dressing...search for BRAKE PREP here at RBT

leave a nail in the pads ? screeeeeeee

martha what's that sound ?

you ran over a goat Jake and its dragging omn the rear bumper....
Old November 19th 12, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 11/19/2012 09:39 AM, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Nov 19, 7:26 am, Duane Hébert wrote:
Aluminum rims.

Can you be more specific about nature of the scratches, location,
existing surface etc.?

Hit something like a coat hanger. Put some scratches into my front rim.
The section where the brake grabs. Makes some noise when braking
though toward the end of the ride it was less noisy. HED rims. Not
extremely deep but I want to smooth them out without scratching the rims
more.

I've had suggestions ranging from sand them and don't worry about the
look to use a wet stone.

Old November 19th 12, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Nov 19, 7:26 am, Duane H bert wrote:
Aluminum rims.

Can you be more specific about nature of the scratches, location,
existing surface etc.?

Hit something like a coat hanger. Put some scratches into my front rim.
* The section where the brake grabs. *Makes some noise when braking
though toward the end of the ride it was less noisy. *HED rims. *Not
extremely deep but I want to smooth them out without scratching the rims
more.

I've had suggestions ranging from sand them and don't worry about the
look to use a wet stone.

On the brake surface I'd try wet sanding (silicon carbide paper),
probably using a 200-320ish grit to smooth it sufficiently to get rid
of the noise.
I would expect a stone to be difficult to manage because of its
rigidity.
A sanding block with a soft surface may help keep things flat and keep
the abrasive away from any non-braking surface (a cosmetic issue),
Since it's on the brake track you probably don't need to go crazy.
Let normal wear finish the job.

Or just go for a hilly ride in the rain.

DR
Old November 19th 12, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 11/19/2012 11:04 AM, DirtRoadie wrote:
[...]

I'll probably just go for the second suggestion here. If I can get one
in before the snow.

I was thinking some wet sand paper lightly applied but the stone idea
intrigued me.

Old November 19th 12, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/19/2012 8:26 AM, Duane Hébert wrote:
Aluminum rims.

On the side from grit in the brake pads? Change pads, the
marks will polish out with no more effort on your part.

On the face between spokes? Wet sand with 600 or higher,
finish with a metal polish such as Simichrome and a cotton
cloth. If they were anodized, you're in for a lot of work
because the 'hole' in the anodize finish has to be expanded
to the whole piece to get a shiny finish.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 19th 12, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

On Nov 19, 7:53 am, Duane Hbert wrote:
On 11/19/2012 09:39 AM, DirtRoadie wrote:

On Nov 19, 7:26 am, Duane H bert wrote:
Aluminum rims.

[snip]

I've had suggestions ranging from sand them and don't worry about the
look to use a wet stone.

[snip]

I was thinking some wet sand paper lightly applied but the stone idea
intrigued me.

In that case take a look at this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/bike...cing/?ALLSTEPS

I came across it the other day when looking for ideas to deglaze the brake tracks on my winter bike.

Graham.
Old November 19th 12, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Monday, November 19, 2012 9:40:50 AM UTC-5, datakoll wrote:
On Monday, November 19, 2012 9:26:42 AM UTC-5, Duane Hébert wrote:

Aluminum rims.

try CRC belt dressing...search for BRAKE PREP here at RBT

leave a nail in the pads ? screeeeeeee

martha what's that sound ?

you ran over a goat Jake and its dragging omn the rear bumper....

Brake prep will fill holes, gouges,crevices, shallow areas somewhat, but fileum snags at gouge ends...try a magnifier under BRIGHT lighting.
Prep also decreases rim and pad wear 209% according to recent studies from California and Mass.

wear a helmet
Old November 19th 12, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert[_3_]

On 11/19/2012 02:12 PM, Graham wrote:

"Duane Hébert" wrote in message ...
On 11/19/2012 11:04 AM, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Nov 19, 7:53 am, Duane Hbert wrote:
On 11/19/2012 09:39 AM, DirtRoadie wrote:

On Nov 19, 7:26 am, Duane H bert wrote:
Aluminum rims.

[snip]

I've had suggestions ranging from sand them and don't worry about the
look to use a wet stone.

[snip]

I was thinking some wet sand paper lightly applied but the stone idea
intrigued me.

In that case take a look at this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/bike...cing/?ALLSTEPS

I came across it the other day when looking for ideas to deglaze the brake tracks on my winter bike.

Interesting. I had thought about using a wet stone that I have. Same
idea. But these rims are a bit expensive to be experimenting with.
Think I'll just try to wear it down with the pads before trying anything
more radical.