"Cargo bikes the new minivan for cycling families"

Old December 9th 13, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default "Cargo bikes the new minivan for cycling families"

http://www.wthr.com/story/24151187/cargo-bikes-the-new-minivan-for-cycling-families
Old December 9th 13, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 09:14:12 -0800, sms wrote:

http://www.wthr.com/story/24151187/c...w-minivan-for-

cycling-families

They are handy indeed. I love my Bullit. Possibly, even as much as my son
loves it.

The down side is that no one leaves you alone and you find yourself
answering the same questions over and over again.

Did you make it yourself?
Where did you get it?
How much was it?
Can you fit two kids in it?
How much does it weigh?
Is it easy to ride?
What can you fit in it?

It's kind of like riding a unicycle, where everybody wants to bring the
fact that it has only got one wheel to your attention.

Excuse me, but did you know you have a Christmas tree and two kids on
your bike?

Er... Yes.
--
davethedave
Old December 9th 13, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/9/2013 10:05 AM, davethedave wrote:
On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 09:14:12 -0800, sms wrote:

http://www.wthr.com/story/24151187/c...w-minivan-for-

cycling-families

They are handy indeed. I love my Bullit. Possibly, even as much as my son
loves it.

The down side is that no one leaves you alone and you find yourself
answering the same questions over and over again.

Print up a FAQ and hand it out to people. Or attach one of those
literature holders like real estate agents attach to For Sale signs to
the side of the bicycle and put the FAQs in there
http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/brochure_holders.
Old December 9th 13, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, December 9, 2013 1:05:30 PM UTC-5, davethedave wrote:

The down side is that no one leaves you alone and you find yourself
answering the same questions over and over again.

Did you make it yourself?
Where did you get it?
How much was it?
Can you fit two kids in it?
How much does it weigh?
Is it easy to ride?
What can you fit in it?

It's kind of like riding a unicycle, where everybody wants to bring the
fact that it has only got one wheel to your attention.

Excuse me, but did you know you have a Christmas tree and two kids on
your bike?

Er... Yes.

I recall that David Gordon Wilson - MIT professor, author/editor of _Bicycle Science_ etc. - had similar problems when he designed, built and rode one of the first modern recumbent bikes, back in the 1970s.

He eventually fastened a sign to the seat back that said "Deodorant Test." That solved the problem.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 9th 13, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:30:48 -0800, sms wrote:

On 12/9/2013 10:05 AM, davethedave wrote:
On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 09:14:12 -0800, sms wrote:

http://www.wthr.com/story/24151187/c...w-minivan-for-

cycling-families

They are handy indeed. I love my Bullit. Possibly, even as much as my
son loves it.

The down side is that no one leaves you alone and you find yourself
answering the same questions over and over again.

Print up a FAQ and hand it out to people. Or attach one of those
literature holders like real estate agents attach to For Sale signs to
the side of the bicycle and put the FAQs in there
http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/brochure_holders.

I did actually seriously consider business cards with answers to stupid
questions.
--
davethedave
Old December 9th 13, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/9/2013 2:35 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

or
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...xL._SX385_.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 9th 13, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/9/2013 10:05 AM, davethedave wrote:

snip

It's kind of like riding a unicycle, where everybody wants to bring the
fact that it has only got one wheel to your attention.

Back when almost no one had decent bicycle lights I used to get stopped
with questions about my lights all the time since it was so out of the
ordinary for a cyclist to have good lights. Now, with the advent of
low-priced high-quality lights it's become the norm for cyclists to have
500 lumen+ lights so no one thinks anything of it.

So be patient. In 20 years or so cargo bicycles will be ubiquitous and
no one will bother you.

Old December 9th 13, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Monday, December 9, 2013 2:08:17 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/9/2013 10:05 AM, davethedave wrote:

snip

It's kind of like riding a unicycle, where everybody wants to bring the

fact that it has only got one wheel to your attention.

Back when almost no one had decent bicycle lights I used to get stopped

with questions about my lights all the time since it was so out of the

ordinary for a cyclist to have good lights. Now, with the advent of

low-priced high-quality lights it's become the norm for cyclists to have

500 lumen+ lights so no one thinks anything of it.

So be patient. In 20 years or so cargo bicycles will be ubiquitous and

no one will bother you.

Dream on. More likely that electric mini-vans will be ubiquitous.

We get a novelty story about cargo bikes about every few months. http://bikeportland.org/tag/cargo-bikes http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/bu...ould.html?_r=0

Oh wait, let's not forget the obligatory mattress delivery story: http://www.mattresslot.com/mattress_...y_by_bike.html

We even build and sell them here in PDX: http://www.splendidcycles.com/ http://www.tomscargobikes.com/tomsca....com/HOME.html http://clevercycles.com/babboe-city-cargo-bike This does not even include the Trek, Surley and other OTC bucket-less cargo bikes.

But oddly enough, I have not seen a proliferation of cargo bikes on the road, particularly all human-powered cargo bikes. I have seen an uptick in electric assist heavy cargo bikes used downtown by businesses. It's great publicity -- but still not many individuals who want an ordinary, human-powered cargo bike.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 10th 13, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, December 9, 2013 12:14:12 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
http://www.wthr.com/story/24151187/cargo-bikes-the-new-minivan-for-cycling-families

.....what ? you expect change against the VORTEX ?

turbo fuel cells !

Old December 10th 13, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/9/2013 3:55 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Monday, December 9, 2013 2:08:17 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/9/2013 10:05 AM, davethedave wrote:

snip

It's kind of like riding a unicycle, where everybody wants to bring the

fact that it has only got one wheel to your attention.

Back when almost no one had decent bicycle lights I used to get stopped

with questions about my lights all the time since it was so out of the

ordinary for a cyclist to have good lights. Now, with the advent of

low-priced high-quality lights it's become the norm for cyclists to have

500 lumen+ lights so no one thinks anything of it.

So be patient. In 20 years or so cargo bicycles will be ubiquitous and

no one will bother you.

Dream on. More likely that electric mini-vans will be ubiquitous.

The problem now is that they are very expensive specialty items
manufactured in low volume. Once they start coming in from Asia and the
price falls to the $500 range, they'll become more popular.