Spoke deflection - force

Old December 11th 13, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Király

Default Spoke deflection - force

I built a wheel yesterday. Older 36H Shimano 105 hub, DT TK540 rim, DT
Competition spokes, butted 14/15/14. Will be used for commuting and
heavy loaded touring.

After truing and tensioning to about what I thought "felt right",
I measured deflection with the Park tool at about 17 on each spoke. This
guide tells me that for a 15 gauge steel spoke, that amount of
deflection equals 70 kgf:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...on-measurement

DT's spec on that rim is for a maximum of 122 kgf (1200 N) per spoke.

Whaddya think? A little tighter?

--
K.

Lang may yer lum reek.
Old December 11th 13, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/11/2013 3:45 PM, Kiraly wrote:
I built a wheel yesterday. Older 36H Shimano 105 hub, DT TK540 rim, DT
Competition spokes, butted 14/15/14. Will be used for commuting and
heavy loaded touring.

After truing and tensioning to about what I thought "felt right",
I measured deflection with the Park tool at about 17 on each spoke. This
guide tells me that for a 15 gauge steel spoke, that amount of
deflection equals 70 kgf:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...on-measurement

DT's spec on that rim is for a maximum of 122 kgf (1200 N) per spoke.

Whaddya think? A little tighter?

Yes, use rim maker's value, assuming you have brass nipples
with lubrication.
Aluminum or dry nipples will make 122kgf a difficult goal.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 11th 13, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 12/12/13 09:06, AMuzi wrote:

Aluminum or dry nipples will make 122kgf a difficult goal.

Push the rim sideways to temporarily reduce tension while turning the
nipple.

--
JS
Old December 12th 13, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Whaddya think? A little tighter ?

top out when truing is difficult maybe near the rim spec ?or your spec /

lube flange holes with Teflon wax...fillem solid into horizontal wheel both sides.

why not 2.0 DT spokes with long nipples for long life...yours.... ? what do you gain with 14 15 14 ?
the price is interesting given exchange rates.
Same cost as

http://goo.gl/PNeHih
Old December 12th 13, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

tdf tdf tdf.....6 years ago finding a wide rhynolite was search n pray...

now a wheel for an REI 100 ! what ? Walmart...amazin'

Old December 12th 13, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:06:09 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/11/2013 3:45 PM, Kiraly wrote:

I built a wheel yesterday. Older 36H Shimano 105 hub, DT TK540 rim, DT

Competition spokes, butted 14/15/14. Will be used for commuting and

heavy loaded touring.

After truing and tensioning to about what I thought "felt right",

I measured deflection with the Park tool at about 17 on each spoke. This

guide tells me that for a 15 gauge steel spoke, that amount of

deflection equals 70 kgf:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...on-measurement

DT's spec on that rim is for a maximum of 122 kgf (1200 N) per spoke.

Whaddya think? A little tighter?

Yes, use rim maker's value, assuming you have brass nipples

with lubrication.

Aluminum or dry nipples will make 122kgf a difficult goal.

I was surprised DT was spec'ing 122kgf (1200 n) -- but after looking at the rim, I can see why. https://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-Road/TK-540 That's a nice, beefy, double wall socketed rim. Heavy, but nice. You could probably wind it up higher, but I wouldn't. I can state from experience that 122kgf will kill a DT 450.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 12th 13, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Király

Jay Beattie wrote:
I can state from experience that 122kgf will kill a DT 450.

Interesting - DT specs exactly that amount of spoke tension for that
rim. http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-Road/R-450

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old December 12th 13, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:37:38 AM UTC-8, Király wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:

I can state from experience that 122kgf will kill a DT 450.

Interesting - DT specs exactly that amount of spoke tension for that

rim. http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-Road/R-450

I cracked a spoke hole at that tension. My current 450s are running around 110kgf with spoke goop (boiled linseed oil). I could have gotten a bad rim. Who knows.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 12th 13, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman

Is this a front or rear wheel. If rear wheel, which side?

Stephen Bauman

Wheel deflection steve Techniques 81 November 3rd 08 07:15 AM
Spoke tension deflection test [email protected] Techniques 33 January 5th 07 05:43 PM
frame deflection measurements - any numbers? [email protected] Techniques 0 March 22nd 06 02:09 PM
Photo of Spoke Deflection? Moe Kit Techniques 25 July 11th 05 05:23 PM
Looking for a low deflection chain [side ways deflection] MetroPed Techniques 3 September 27th 04 11:09 PM