Best recumbent exercise bikes for the home user who wants to replicate a gym experience?

Old November 17th 03, 04:50 PM
Roger Carlson

Default Best recumbent exercise bikes for the home user who wants to replicate a gym experience?

Hi. I want to buy a recumbent exercise bike for my home. I want
something comparable to the Star-Trac bikes at my gym. I do not want
anything with a fan blade on it, as I prefer the electromagnetic
resistance mechanism of the electric bikes. I am willing to pay as
much as I would for a gym-quality home (is that an oxymoron?)
treadmill, up to $2000. Hopefully I won't need to spend that much.
Can you give me brands names to check out?

Thanks,
Roger
Old November 17th 03, 05:07 PM
Steven M. O'Neill

http://www.google.com/search?&q=recumbent+exercise+bike

--
Steven O'Neill
www.bridgetolls.org
Old November 17th 03, 05:14 PM
SPG

Hi,

I have recently purchased the YORK 3350 bike:
http://www.yorkfitness.co.uk/uk/prod...rod_cat=cycles

You can also purchase a chest strap heart monitor for it.
It cost me £225 and is sturdy as a rock.
The heart rate controlled programs make it an excellent buy for the price.
I did quite a bit of research before I purchased this and am certain I got
the best quality for my money.

HTH

Steve

m...

Old November 18th 03, 03:29 AM
GWB

You can't replicate the gym experience unless you drive there in a SUV with
MTB bikes mounted on top.

Old November 18th 03, 02:22 PM
Matthew

"Roger Carlson" wrote in message
m...
Hi. I want to buy a recumbent exercise bike for my home. I want
something comparable to the Star-Trac bikes at my gym. I do not want
anything with a fan blade on it, as I prefer the electromagnetic
resistance mechanism of the electric bikes. I am willing to pay as
much as I would for a gym-quality home (is that an oxymoron?)
treadmill, up to $2000. Hopefully I won't need to spend that much.
Can you give me brands names to check out?

Thanks,
Roger

For $2000 you should be able to buy the machine in the gym. But anyhow
rec.bicycles is probably the wrong group for this query. Folks here are more
likely to use their bikes on rollers or fluid trainers. I guess it's kind of
like a component system.

Hope someone in the aerobics group can help.

Matthew

Old November 19th 03, 12:03 AM
Matthew

"Van Bagnol" wrote in message
In article ,
(Roger Carlson) wrote:

Offhand I see a sale on a Giant Revive DX recumbent for $759 and a
Travel Trac magnetic trainer for $109 at Performance Bicycle
http//www.PerformanceBike.com. The Bike "E" is also a popular brand.

Van

Anybody have any experience with the Travel Trac magnetic trainers. Seems
like a great price.

Old November 19th 03, 01:32 AM
Mike Kruger

"Van Bagnol" wrote in message

Offhand I see a sale on a Giant Revive DX recumbent for $759 and a
Travel Trac magnetic trainer for $109 at Performance Bicycle
http//www.PerformanceBike.com. The Bike "E" is also a popular brand.

BikeE was popular -- they sold more units than anyone else -- but went
bankrupt about August, 2002 and is no longer made.

Old November 21st 03, 03:26 AM
John Foltz

Van Bagnol wrote:
In article ,
(Roger Carlson) wrote:

Hi. I want to buy a recumbent exercise bike for my home. I
want something comparable to the Star-Trac bikes at my gym. I
do not want anything with a fan blade on it, as I prefer the
electromagnetic resistance mechanism of the electric bikes. I
am willing to pay as much as I would for a gym-quality home (is
that an oxymoron?) treadmill, up to $2000. Hopefully I won't
need to spend that much. Can you give me brands names to check
out?

Forgive me for seeing irony in this, but for that money you can
ride a _real_ recumbent bike which a gym experience can't
replicate. You can probably also fit it with indoor mag training
rollers so you can pedal indoors.

Offhand I see a sale on a Giant Revive DX recumbent for $759 and
a Travel Trac magnetic trainer for $109 at Performance Bicycle
http//www.PerformanceBike.com. The Bike "E" is also a popular
brand.

I'll second that thought. Why get a piece of basement machinery when
you can add a real bike to the stable? The one modification I'd make
is to aim for a recumbent that uses a full-size (26") rear wheel.
That will make it easier to put it on a trainer. If you get one with
a 20" drive wheel, you will likely need to buy a special trainer.
Additionally, many Bike-Es had 3x7 rear hubs, which complicated
putting them on a trainer - they had a shift chain sticking out of
the drive side axle.

Buy something like a Sun Easy Sport SC ($549 and available at ANY
LBS willing to order it) and a really nice $200-300 fluid trainer,
and you're still comfortably under $1K. The bike would be the
recumbent equivalent of a hybrid, but performance wouldn't matter on
the trainer, and off the trainer it would be *usable* as a bike. And
of course you could always upgrade the bike if you were willing to
spend more.
--

John Foltz --- O _
Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

Old November 23rd 03, 10:32 PM

In rec.bicycles.misc Roger Carlson wrote:
: Hi. I want to buy a recumbent exercise bike for my home. I want
: something comparable to the Star-Trac bikes at my gym. I do not want
: anything with a fan blade on it, as I prefer the electromagnetic
: resistance mechanism of the electric bikes. I am willing to pay as
: much as I would for a gym-quality home (is that an oxymoron?)
: treadmill, up to $2000. Hopefully I won't need to spend that much.
: Can you give me brands names to check out?

Why not a real recumbent and a trainer? Could be a more serious
setup and quite a bit more comfortable.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi