Recommendation for a Good Clincher Tire

Old March 26th 04, 04:57 PM
Dave Thompson

Default Recommendation for a Good Clincher Tire

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
I currently wish to upgrade my tires to a better riding, lighter, and
more sophisticated tire from the Vittoria Zaffir 700x22 that I am now
using.

I basically ride in dry weather on Ashphalt, and wish to buy a tire
with a bit better ride, and with less rolling resistance (Not
neccesarily looking for a high mileage tire, or on the other hand, the
absolutely lightest tire on the market either)

I have somewhat narrowed it down to the Michelin Pro Race 700x23, the
Vittoria Open Corsa CX 700x23, or perhaps a fine offering from a top
of the line Veloflex?

I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before. I'm open to
suggestion, and I would like to hear your likes/dislikes with the few
tires I mention above.
TIA Mark

I've got two favorite tires; the Continental GP3000 in 700x25 and the
Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX. The Contis get good mileage and give a good
ride. The Vittorias give a fabulous ride, but the mileage is slightly less
than the Contis. If I'm going on a long ride, 75+ miles, I'll have the
Vittorias on. I've had Michelins before, they are a good tire but an
absolute bear to get on and off the rims. If you have a flat on the road
with a Michelin, two or three tire levers are a must. I can get the Conti
and Vittoria tires on and off with just my hands.

Old March 26th 04, 05:23 PM
bfd

"Dave Thompson" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

I agree that if *comfort* is a priority, get 700x25 and run it at
100-110psi. I use Avocet tires and love it. Wide, comfy, with low rolling
resistance (arguably one of the lowest tested!), its a great tire. Problem
is finding it. Your LBS should be able to order them or check out Sheldon
Brown, Licktons, World Class Cycles and G to G tandems to name a few online
shops....

Old March 26th 04, 05:41 PM
Paul

Are you referring to the kevlar belted Avocets or
the non-kelvar?

Paul

Old March 26th 04, 05:56 PM
Tom Nakashima

I ditto this!
The Avocet Carbon 12 Road 25c
http://www.avocet.com/tirepages/carbon12_specs.html
-tom

Old March 26th 04, 05:59 PM
bfd

"Paul" wrote in message
Are you referring to the kevlar belted Avocets or
the non-kelvar?

Paul

I agree that if *comfort* is a priority, get 700x25 and run it at
100-110psi. I use Avocet tires and love it. Wide, comfy, with low

rolling
resistance (arguably one of the lowest tested!), its a great tire.

I use the Avocet Fasgrip tires, formerly known as Road 30 700x28 (actually
measured 24-26mm wide) and now known as the Fasgrip Carbon 12 700x25
(accurately measured). The kevlar belt is not as much of a factor as the
fact that the tire has an all carbon black tread. In contrast, most tires
today have color which is either an all silica tread or a mix of silica and
something else. I think Michelin and Continental have an all carbon black
tire, not sure.

With the wider 700x25, as oppose to the 700x20/23 used by most riders today,
you can run lower psi (100-110psi) versus 120++ used by many, and with more
air volume, you get more comfort.