newbie question re shifting

Old October 12th 03, 01:55 AM
Richard Stanz

Default newbie question re shifting

I'm in my first season and have a question for the group about
shifting. I have Shimano Sora components on my Trek road bike. When
I shift from the small ring to the middle ring it sometimes takes a
while for the chain to move and, when it does, it doesn't seem to sit
right. The bike moves just fine, but there's a rattling noise. I
usually shift again to the big ring, where the chain sits fine, and
when I shift back down from the big ring to the middle ring, I again
have no problem or rattling. Its only the move from the small ring to
the middle ring that causes problems. Is this normal, is it me or is
there some adjustment I should be making?

Many thanks,
Richard Stanz
Old October 13th 03, 12:05 AM
Grenouil

"Richard Stanz" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sounds like the chain may be rubbing on the FDR cage. Put
it on a stand and see if you can identify what's rubbing -
try several rear sprockets too. Could be a sticking cable.

Some late model triple shifters have a trim position between
granny and middle, so with those you need to make sure you
shift 'though' the trim position to avoid FDR rubbing with
the smaller sprockets - but I don't believe Sora has trim?