Data (was PowerCranks Study)

Old October 16th 03, 08:10 PM
Robert Chung

Default Data (was PowerCranks Study)

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
"2LAP" wrote in message

Sounds like your on the Atkins diet... don't get me started on
atkins!!!

Fattie -

Why not? It's overweight people that need it.

Fair enough. How many calories in a frog?

Old October 17th 03, 01:55 AM
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Donald Munro wrote:

2LAP wrote:
Oh, you should post your recipie for pumpkin soup in time for
halloween!

Robert Chung (rbr warlock == statistician) wrote:
Hmmm. I don't think I have a recipe for it. I kind of taste and adjust.

Double, double, toil and trouble. Presumably your impromptu recipe
includes poison'd entrails, toads, fillet of a fenny snake, frogs toes
etc.

On Rocky and Bullwinkle, there was a segment called Fractured Fairy Tales.
Their version went: "A pinch of this, a pinch of that, a dewey soap and a
french-fried bat!" Of course, that'd be a "Freedom-fried" bat now...

--
tanx,
Howard

"We've reached a higher spiritual plane, that is so high I can't explain
We tell jokes to make you laugh, we play sports so we don't get fat..."
The Dictators

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old October 21st 03, 12:21 AM
Benjamin Weiner

Robert Chung wrote:

Then the recipe is a framework and a guideline within which you balance
and adjust things to get the best result. If you know what you're doing
you get better results if you taste and adjust and improvise. If you don't
know what you're doing the dinner can end up a disaster and you'd have
been better off following the recipe. Having an exact cut-off is like
following the recipe exactly: it tends to protect your research findings
from ending up as indigestible garbage. If you know what you're doing then
the p-level is just another parameter you consider when you're trying to
produce the best research.

Some scientists, no matter what they cook, it winds up tasting
like fudge ...

As you suggest elsewhere, the difference between a marginally significant
result with no mechanism and the same set of data with a well justified
mechanism is major, but not easy to express in terms of p-values.
That's subjective. So's science. The Bayesians have a word for this
(I think it's "Doh!")