1995 Campagnolo Mirage - will new one fit?

Old August 14th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David In NH

Default 1995 Campagnolo Mirage - will new one fit?

Hi All:

My 1995 Bianchi Eros just lost its rear derailleur. (It committed suicide by
jumping into the spokes and needs to be replaced.)

The derailleur is a 1995-vintage Campy Mirage and the bike has an 8 speed
cassette. Will a modern-day (i.e., 9 or 10 speed) version of the Mirage fit?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to obtain replacement parts
with reasonable shipping times?

Thanks.

- Dave

Old August 14th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

David In NH wrote:
Hi All:

My 1995 Bianchi Eros just lost its rear derailleur. (It committed suicide by
jumping into the spokes and needs to be replaced.)

The derailleur is a 1995-vintage Campy Mirage and the bike has an 8 speed
cassette. Will a modern-day (i.e., 9 or 10 speed) version of the Mirage fit?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to obtain replacement parts
with reasonable shipping times?

You should NOT have any problems replacing your 1995 8 speed rear der
with a new, modern one. As long as the rear der has an adjusting
barrel, it should work. In fact, several of my friends have gone the
reverse route, using older 7 and 8 speed rear der with 9 speed cassette
and have no problem.

As for where to get, check out www.qbike.com oand AE bikescom.

Old August 14th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

bfd wrote:
David In NH wrote:
Hi All:

My 1995 Bianchi Eros just lost its rear derailleur. (It committed suicide by
jumping into the spokes and needs to be replaced.)

The derailleur is a 1995-vintage Campy Mirage and the bike has an 8 speed
cassette. Will a modern-day (i.e., 9 or 10 speed) version of the Mirage fit?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to obtain replacement parts
with reasonable shipping times?

You should NOT have any problems replacing your 1995 8 speed rear der
with a new, modern one. As long as the rear der has an adjusting
barrel, it should work. In fact, several of my friends have gone the
reverse route, using older 7 and 8 speed rear der with 9 speed cassette
and have no problem.

As for where to get, check out www.qbike.com oand AE bikescom.

Further, you may also want to check with your LBS, you may be surprise
with what they have laying around.

Old August 14th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David In NH

"bfd" wrote in message
ps.com...

bfd wrote:
David In NH wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the information. My LBS told me that to replace the rear der
along with the cassette, center chain ring and chain would be around $335.
which seemed high.

This was especially true after they said the chain was $42 although they
recently replaced the chain with an SRAM chain for far less.

I just wanted to see what was out there. Knowing that the parts can be
available much cheaper may give me some leverage in getting them to order
them from a lower-cost place.

Thanks.

Old August 14th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

David In NH wrote:
"bfd" wrote in message
ps.com...

bfd wrote:
David In NH wrote:
[...]

One question, how many cogs are you using, i.e., 8, 9 or 10? IF you're
planning on "upgrading" to 10 speed, then a "$42" chain may not be
unreasonable as that is the price of 10 speed chains.

However, if you're planning on sticking with 8 speed, there are 8 speed
compatible chains from SRAM and others for as little as $10.

One reason some of my friends have decided to stick with 9 speed,
instead of 10 speed, is the price of consumables. 10 speed chains are
in the $40+ range; and 10 speed cassettes are easily over $100 (unless
you go with Miche). In comparison 9 speed chains are still available
for $10 or so (KMC) and you can still get 9 speed cassette for around
$40-60 (i.e., Miche, Sram, IRD, Campy Mirage, and Shimano).

Old August 14th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David In NH

One question, how many cogs are you using, i.e., 8, 9 or 10? IF you're
planning on "upgrading" to 10 speed, then a "$42" chain may not be
unreasonable as that is the price of 10 speed chains.

However, if you're planning on sticking with 8 speed, there are 8 speed
compatible chains from SRAM and others for as little as $10.

One reason some of my friends have decided to stick with 9 speed,
instead of 10 speed, is the price of consumables. 10 speed chains are
in the $40+ range; and 10 speed cassettes are easily over $100 (unless
you go with Miche). In comparison 9 speed chains are still available
for $10 or so (KMC) and you can still get 9 speed cassette for around
$40-60 (i.e., Miche, Sram, IRD, Campy Mirage, and Shimano).

I was planning on staying with the 8-speed stuff, just fixing what was
broken rather than upgrading to 8 or 9 but I may re-visit this idea when I
get to the shop tomorrow to talk to the mechanic. His original guesstimate
was around $200 so when another guy in the shop called saying $335, I
decided to go in person before letting them order anything. The shop is
reputable and I've been buying from them for years but this discrepancy
merits an in-person clarification.

Once again, thanks.

Old August 14th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

David In NH wrote:
"bfd" wrote in message
ps.com...

bfd wrote:
David In NH wrote:
[...]

I've used a 1998 Ergo shifter with a 2003 rear derailleur and noticed a
slight degradation of shifting. 2001 was when they changed the rear
derailleur and Ergo movements. They do work together but its not as
perfect. In your case since there are no pre 2001 rear derailleurs
available, it will be fine enough.

I'd suggest ordering from England. Ribble Cycles or ProBikeKit. Or
11speed from Italy. Cheap Campagnolo parts.

Nashbar has a Centaur rear derailleur for $90. New 8 speed chains are
$10. Any brand will do. Nashbar has a Record 8 speed cassette for
$40. No need to replace your chainring. But Nashbar has a Stronglight
in the 135mm bcd for $20 or so if you want a new ring. Its 39 teeth.
It won't have the pick up pins and ramps of your current middle ring
but it will still work fine enough.

Cassette, rear derailleur, chain, chainring are all easily installed.
No need to pay a shop to do it. Or order the parts through them.

Old August 15th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

David In NH wrote:
Hi All:

My 1995 Bianchi Eros just lost its rear derailleur. (It committed suicide by
jumping into the spokes and needs to be replaced.)

The derailleur is a 1995-vintage Campy Mirage and the bike has an 8 speed
cassette. Will a modern-day (i.e., 9 or 10 speed) version of the Mirage fit?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to obtain replacement parts
with reasonable shipping times?

Cheap? I've never ordered from this place, myself:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=21849

That's approx. current price for used Chorus and even cheaper rear ders
on ebay, for instance.

It might be worth your while to go with the shop on this one-- did the
est. include any derailleur hanger work, or wheel work that might be
needed?

Committed suicide? I think the police report on this one might read
"jumped or was pushed" g --D-y

Old August 15th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

David In NH wrote:
Hi All:

My 1995 Bianchi Eros just lost its rear derailleur. (It committed suicide by
jumping into the spokes and needs to be replaced.)

The derailleur is a 1995-vintage Campy Mirage and the bike has an 8 speed
cassette. Will a modern-day (i.e., 9 or 10 speed) version of the Mirage fit?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to obtain replacement parts
with reasonable shipping times?

Thanks.

- Dave

We use modern RD as replacement RD for all Campag index systems since
1990 shifter-No modification required, just put it on. We have a full
range of Campag small parts also-