Flashing front light in daytime.

Old June 18th 08, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Default Flashing front light in daytime.

Martin wrote:

POHB wrote:
On 23 May, 13:03, Nick wrote:
I have never thought of using a front light in daylight but was very
impressed by the result.

I'm put in mind of a recent article in .citycycling about the use of
Hi Viz and lights. The more folks wear reflectives and use ever
bigger brighter lights the more the drivers come to expect them and
stop looking out for folks without them.

I am in favour of Hi-Viz gear, but see the point of what you are saying.
I think it would work best if everyone uses stuff like this differently.
(The theory of Big probably says this).

e.g. with lits, some people mount a flasher on the handle bars, and
other people pretend to be Daleks with a lit on their forehead.
Doing this means other road users will not expect a standard way of
lighting cyclists, and will keep a better eye out for cyclists.

Of course we all know motorists are far more adept at see stealth
cyclists than christmas trees.

i think road postion has more effect i certinaly find it easyer to spot
other cyclists if they are in the road rather than kerb hugging.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old June 18th 08, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

POHB wrote:
On 23 May, 13:03, Nick wrote:
I have never thought of using a front light in daylight but was very
impressed by the result.

I'm put in mind of a recent article in .citycycling about the use of
Hi Viz and lights. The more folks wear reflectives and use ever
bigger brighter lights the more the drivers come to expect them and
stop looking out for folks without them.

Hmm. That's gotta be related (in some way) to risk
compensation.

BugBear
Old June 18th 08, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:49:42 +0100
bugbear wrote:

POHB wrote:
On 23 May, 13:03, Nick wrote:
I have never thought of using a front light in daylight but was
very impressed by the result.

I'm put in mind of a recent article in .citycycling about the use of
Hi Viz and lights. The more folks wear reflectives and use ever
bigger brighter lights the more the drivers come to expect them and
stop looking out for folks without them.

Hmm. That's gotta be related (in some way) to risk
compensation.

Why? If the people wearing high-vis were involved in more incidents
then that might indicate risk compensation, but it's the people without
who supposedly suffer in that scenario.