New Road bike advice needed....

Old June 30th 03, 11:55 AM
Rob Woozle

Default New Road bike advice needed....

I am a MTBer who wants a road bike mainly for commuting but also for the odd
triathlon and some training when I want some variety.

$$$ are severely limited and I am hovering between an Avanti Edge, Avanti
Sprint or the Giant OCR3. All are less than a grand which is my budget.

Any recommendations or other bikes I should look at?

Thanks,
Rob
Old June 30th 03, 01:40 PM
Etxy

Out of the options there, go for the higher specced Avanti, or the
Giant. The specifications are fairly similar (perhaps the giant has
slightly better specs), but it basically comes down to your comfort on
the bike. If you're set on a new bike, thats probably the best deals you
can do. However, it would be well worth your while investigating the
possibilities of a second hand bike. For a thousand bucks, second hand,
you can get a whole lot of bike. You'd be looking at Carbon forks,
possibly 105 componentry and decent wheels.

The best advice I can give you is to check out a lot of bikes until you
find one that is comfortable for you, for whilst, compared to many road
bikes, $1000 isn't that much, its still a decent amount of money.

Good luck!

--
"I loved the feeling of riding downhill-
admiring the scenery then running

Old July 1st 03, 12:30 AM
RMan

"Rob Woozle" wrote in message
I am a MTBer who wants a road bike mainly for commuting but also for the

odd
triathlon and some training when I want some variety.

$$$ are severely limited and I am hovering between an Avanti Edge, Avanti
Sprint or the Giant OCR3. All are less than a grand which is my budget.

Any recommendations or other bikes I should look at?

For what it's worth, I purchased a Merida 901 in 2000 for $ 900 and have
ridden it very hard. Consider Merida as well.

If you are bike-wise, then I would go second hand, if you are not, go brand
new.

Old July 1st 03, 03:56 AM
SH

"RMan" wrote in message

I too ride a Merida and it been OK, but you may like to consider that the
Qld based Merida Cycling Team recently handed back their bikes and severe
their sponsorship ties because they had trouble with the magnisium frames
snapping and they are now looked after by Avanti.

Old July 13th 03, 07:10 AM
edd

Check the Trading Post there are some real value second hand bikes out
there. You can get lucky and find one that fits with all the fine
quality bits !

Old July 13th 03, 07:10 AM
edd

Old August 10th 03, 10:43 AM