Found it!!!

Old June 4th 04, 03:06 AM
flyingdutch

Default Found it!!!

Damn annoying squeaking/squealing noise

over the last 2 weeks have been trying to isolate the noise. couldn
figure it out. was in all gears. Lubed/cleaned everything almost dail
(bike's gonna look similar to Hippy's project if i keep that up

FINALLY figured out it was the RearDerailleur Jockey wheels

Never really paid these little guys much attention but noticed they hav
a lot of play in them. a quick squirt and no more noise. Yeah:

How tight should these suckers be? The Derailleur is about 8 yrs old no
and been commuting almost everyday on it so it may be going to the grea
'shed' in the sky depending upon what you good people can tell me Th
derailleur works fine so are these a replaceable part? (8spd DeoreLX

-

Old June 4th 04, 03:20 AM
amirm

flyingdutch wrote:
Damn annoying squeaking/squealing noise
over the last 2 weeks have been trying to isolate the noise. couldnt
figure it out. was in all gears. Lubed/cleaned everything almost daily
(bike's gonna look similar to Hippy's project if i keep that up )
FINALLY figured out it was the RearDerailleur Jockey wheels!
Never really paid these little guys much attention but noticed they have
a lot of play in them. a quick squirt and no more noise. Yeah
How tight should these suckers be? The Derailleur is about 8 yrs old now
and been commuting almost everyday on it so it may be going to the great
'shed' in the sky depending upon what you good people can tell me The
derailleur works fine so are these a replaceable part? (8spd DeoreLX)

What did ya squirt on the poor thing?

-

Old June 4th 04, 03:20 AM
hippy

Originally posted by flyingdutch How tight should these suckers be

baitOn the best gear, Shimano/bait, they are tightened down.. um.
tight, yeah

The derailleur works fine so are these a replaceable part

You can replace the derailer or the jockey wheels. Jockey whee
replacements can be found in heaps of cool colours to trick up your bik
too You can get plastic or alu wheels too

If they are just squeaking though and you've fixed that, you probabl
don't need to replace them at all.. I usually destroy a derailer befor
I have to swap its jockey wheels.. but I'm a low maintenance kinda dude

hth hipp

-

Old June 4th 04, 09:15 AM
NickZX6R

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by flyingdutch How tight should these suckers be?

baitOn the best gear, Shimano/bait, they are tightened down.. um..
tight, yeah.

The derailleur works fine so are these a replaceable part?

You can replace the derailer or the jockey wheels. Jockey wheel
replacements can be found in heaps of cool colours to trick up your bike
too You can get plastic or alu wheels too.

If they are just squeaking though and you've fixed that, you probably
don't need to replace them at all.. I usually destroy a derailer before
I have to swap its jockey wheels.. but I'm a low maintenance kinda dude.

hth hippy

--

except the ****mano ones have those awful rubber boot things that
serve no useful purpose, unlike the infallible Campy ones ;P

Seriously though, you can get a pair BBB jockey wheels for around
$12 bucks, as hippy said, in fashion colours. They fit either Shimano
or Campy because they come with a range of spacers so you can choose
the spacers that match your make and speed.

I bought some for a friend and they work just fine.

--
Nick

Old June 5th 04, 05:44 AM
Resound

Speaking of drivetrains and maintenance, I did a wipe and lube of th
chain, cassette and derailleur on the MTB today, but I wonder about ho
effective I was. There still seemed to be an awful lot of road gri
still on the chain and other bits and pieces.(been riding in the wet
What's the best way to get rid of that sort of thing? What littl
mechanical sympathy I have cringes at the idea of grit mixed in with th
lube, but trying to clean it out with an old tshirt only got me so far

-

Old June 5th 04, 05:56 AM
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 05 Jun 2004 04:44:59 GMT
Resound wrote:
Speaking of drivetrains and maintenance, I did a wipe and lube of the
chain, cassette and derailleur on the MTB today, but I wonder about how
effective I was. There still seemed to be an awful lot of road grit
still on the chain and other bits and pieces.(been riding in the wet)
What's the best way to get rid of that sort of thing? What little
mechanical sympathy I have cringes at the idea of grit mixed in with the
lube, but trying to clean it out with an old tshirt only got me so far.

Well.. with motorcycle chains...

Clean it with liberal applications of kero or WD40, then relube with a
decent chainwax. Use a cutdown 1" paintbrush to dislodge the stubborn
grit.

Zebee
Old June 5th 04, 10:56 AM
K&C Russell

"NickZX6R" wrote in message
hippy wrote:
[...]

More importantly the BBBs come with sealed bearings rather than just a bush.
Good, cheap and better than original.

Kevin