Panniers

Old May 20th 08, 01:19 PM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

Default Panniers

"EuanB" wrote:

David Springthorpe Wrote:
Re-newbies question: Looking for some rear panniers for general use -
what
brands are good, how much should I pay and where is a good place to buy
then in
Sydney north of the harbour (or better still, online)?

My Ortleib Back Roller Classics cost considerably more than the options
being offered here at $275 for the pair. That said they haven't skipped
a beat in over 6 years of commuting (about 100,000kms) so IMO good
value. They're not just waterproof, they're immersion proof although
there's not pockets which bugs some people.

You can probably get them online for cheaper than that if you look, I
was lazy and bought them from the LBS

Yep. Try the German websites (I bought a full set, front and rear) and ask
them to take off the German VAT. You could see yourself saving around $200
on a full pannier set. I got mine from www.unterwegs.biz

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old May 21st 08, 04:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Mon, 19 May 2008 21:41:03 +1000, David Springthorpe wrote:

I've been talking to a couple who are acquaintances, and indeed he swears by his
canvas WE (no longer made ?) and she by her canvas Summit Gear
www.summitgear.com.au (bloody expensive though).

Summit gears is probably who the PP was talking about.

Old May 21st 08, 05:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
David Springthorpe

On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:30:34 +1000, terryc wrote:

On Mon, 19 May 2008 21:41:03 +1000, David Springthorpe wrote:

I've been talking to a couple who are acquaintances, and indeed he swears by his
canvas WE (no longer made ?) and she by her canvas Summit Gear
www.summitgear.com.au (bloody expensive though).

Summit gears is probably who the PP was talking about.

Yes, that's what I meant - just wasn't too clear probably.
Old May 21st 08, 07:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
MWP

On May 19, 9:16*pm, (Ed) wrote:
Howdo
If you can find them, Wilderness Equipment are a good working pannier. A
touch heavy with a robust build but you can always fix them on the road
and they seem to last, and last and .....( made of canvas, plywood,
leather and real brass nuts and bolts and fastex clips) I have front and
back and use them most days.
May just have to find some second hand but I wouldnt sell mine. *I think a
back pack maker in the blue mtns does make a canvas copy but cant quite
think of the name.
Good luck in your task Ed *

--
Posted atwww.Usenet.com.au

I bought a set of WE canvas paniers from Clarence St Cyclery in 1994.
I rode around Europe and still use them today.
Old May 21st 08, 11:43 PM posted to aus.bicycle
geoffs[_16_]

We got rid of our Summit Gear and bought Ortleibs which have survived
lots of touring and commuting.
The Summit Gear are ok but the Ortleibs are just so much better.

--
geoffs

Old May 22nd 08, 03:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
slaw[_9_]

MWP Wrote:
On May 19, 9:16*pm, (Ed) wrote:
[...]

Wilderness Equipment gave me a set of front and rear canvas panniers
in 1984 when I was touring RTW. I still use them occasionally on tour,
though I have a newer nylon pair of rears. The WE fronts need a hook to
be replaced but as I have some Ortleibs front panniers, I haven't
bothered doing that yet. The Ortleibs have been my commuting choice over
the last few years.

--
slaw

Panniers? Robert S. Dean General 6 September 5th 05 03:12 AM
Rather than panniers elyob UK 5 February 9th 05 08:09 PM
Panniers elyob UK 15 January 17th 05 11:24 AM
WTB: Panniers peter Marketplace 0 December 20th 04 10:13 PM
WTB panniers Dennis Johnston Marketplace 1 November 21st 04 11:49 PM