problem with panniers and racks

Old June 1st 08, 02:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Default problem with panniers and racks

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 18:31:15 +1000, Tomasso wrote:

True, but my old Karrimor rack and bags are still fine. Must be 30 years now...

Weird, both my genuine and yumcha version were squashed very fast. There
was a design problem that meant they had all curved stays that eventually
sank under load. My bags are still around, but mainly as i used them as a
pattern to make my own panniers.

Old June 1st 08, 02:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"terryc" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 18:31:15 +1000, Tomasso wrote:

True, but my old Karrimor rack and bags are still fine. Must be 30 years
now...

Weird, both my genuine and yumcha version were squashed very fast. There
was a design problem that meant they had all curved stays that eventually
sank under load.

The old Karrimor rack that I began my touring with was a sapling in the
breeze compared to the solidity of the Tubus. Spindly (~5mm) steel rod and
no lateral triangulation made for a very flexy ride with any heavy load.
They were good at the time in the mid 70s, when there was virtually nothing
else to choose from. Today Tubus is the new Karrimor.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old June 1st 08, 11:40 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

just us wrote:
Can anyone suggest a good bike rack for a MTB that doesnt have that problem
and is also very tough? The other guy on the trip has a topeak tourist and
now i have a new one of those also but they were no good on his bike either.
I will be sending the bags back as I think that all 4 clips to break just
isnt good and it should be exchanged under warrenty.

I think that the possible solutions will basically fall into these 4
categories:

1. Tell him to ride with his instep on the pedal ;-)
2. Use different bags
3. Use a different rack
4. Use a different bike.

I think that the problem is most likely mainly caused by his use of a
(relatively) short-wheelbase bike for touring. I'd suggest using one
of your existing racks as a starting point, then making (or getting
made) a rack to suit the bike that will work for him & your bags.
Pretty much any welding shop would be able to weld something together
for you out of mild steel (and from the sounds of things, he'd prefer
durability over the minor difference in weight).

But then again, I ride a BigW bike.

BTH
Old June 2nd 08, 05:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

PeteSig wrote:
"terryc" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 18:31:15 +1000, Tomasso wrote:

True, but my old Karrimor rack and bags are still fine. Must be 30 years
now...

Weird, both my genuine and yumcha version were squashed very fast. There
was a design problem that meant they had all curved stays that eventually
sank under load.

The old Karrimor rack that I began my touring with was a sapling in the
breeze compared to the solidity of the Tubus. Spindly (~5mm) steel rod and
no lateral triangulation made for a very flexy ride with any heavy load.
They were good at the time in the mid 70s, when there was virtually nothing
else to choose from. Today Tubus is the new Karrimor.

My Karrimor racks were OK on road bikes on bitumen, but didn't stand up
to MTB on dirt.

I am 100% satisfied with my Tubus racks and Ortleib panniers. Never once
had a failure or had one fall off.

I also use the Ortleib handlebar bags and they work fine also. No
problem using them with STI shifters on my touring bike or Rapidfire on
my MTB. My wife's bike has quite narrow handlebars and the Ortleib still
works fine (she uses Shimano 105 shifters).
Old June 2nd 08, 09:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

BT Humble wrote:

I think that the problem is most likely mainly caused by his use of a
(relatively) short-wheelbase bike for touring.

That would explain why I have the problem with the cypress city yes...

care to have a go at explaining why I have the problem with the long
wheelbase Fuji Touring BT?

G-S

Old June 2nd 08, 12:19 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

G-S wrote:
BT Humble wrote:

I think that the problem is most likely mainly caused by his use of a
(relatively) short-wheelbase bike for touring.

That would explain why I have the problem with the cypress city yes...

care to have a go at explaining why I have the problem with the long
wheelbase Fuji Touring BT?

Because you've got a body like a bloody garden gnome, you big-footed
bluebottle! ;-)

(Hey, give it to me if you don't like it...)

BTH
Old June 2nd 08, 09:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

BT Humble wrote:
G-S wrote:
BT Humble wrote:

I think that the problem is most likely mainly caused by his use of a
(relatively) short-wheelbase bike for touring.

That would explain why I have the problem with the cypress city yes...

care to have a go at explaining why I have the problem with the long
wheelbase Fuji Touring BT?

Because you've got a body like a bloody garden gnome, you big-footed
bluebottle! ;-)

(Hey, give it to me if you don't like it...)

*Does an impression of a garden gnome and ****es in the wind* [1]

G-S

[1] Upwind of BT's K-Mart bike of course ;-)
Old June 2nd 08, 11:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_2_]

"terryc" wrote in message news
On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 18:31:15 +1000, Tomasso wrote:

True, but my old Karrimor rack and bags are still fine. Must be 30 years now...

Weird, both my genuine and yumcha version were squashed very fast. There
was a design problem that meant they had all curved stays that eventually
sank under load. My bags are still around, but mainly as i used them as a
pattern to make my own panniers.

I guess it's a question of load. I'm sure Terry carried much more than me,
including an anvil and hammers. Normally I wouldn't put more than a tent
and a sleeping bag on top of the rack, and leave most of the stuff for the
bags.

T.
Old June 3rd 08, 03:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 08:30:35 +1000, Tomasso wrote:

I guess it's a question of load. I'm sure Terry carried much more than me,
including an anvil and hammers. Normally I wouldn't put more than a tent
and a sleeping bag on top of the rack, and leave most of the stuff for the
bags.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with a 15" shifter, 15
' fencing pliers and two kilos of tools and spares[*]. My sleeping bag
and clothing always went in the right rear, with the tent, food and
cooking gear in the left rear. Lunch, spouts and water went into the front
pair and camera, maops in the handlebar bar (not to self to get Aintog and
repair that bag).

Personally, I think it was the watermelons {:-).

[*] Cootmaundra, Tumut, Canberra trip right at the time that Sedi brought
out those chains that completely disintergrated. I was also carrying 5
spare chains and a spare rear cluster. Lol, the biggest problem turned out
to the claggy mud on the forest trails. Nicknamed the "worshippers of the
crescent moon" trip as everyone removed their mud guards and had them
slung over their rear rack.

T.

Old June 3rd 08, 11:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"terryc" wrote:

[*] Cootmaundra, Tumut, Canberra trip right at the time that Sedi brought
out those chains that completely disintergrated. I was also carrying 5
spare chains and a spare rear cluster.

For godsake, WHY??

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@

Racks and panniers - thank you Peter Scandrett UK 0 October 17th 06 05:21 PM
FS:Karrimor universal panniers + Lowrider racks David Smith UK 0 January 30th 05 10:57 PM
re; racks for panniers DJ Australia 1 October 1st 04 12:00 AM
Rear racks for Ortlieb panniers? Jake UK 7 November 14th 03 12:57 AM
Panniers and racks wanted Marc Bishop Australia 12 October 13th 03 12:58 PM