Charger for batteries

Old June 25th 09, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

Default Charger for batteries

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:51:19 +0000, Peter Cole wrote:

Simon Lewis wrote:
Stephen Bauman writes:

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:10:35 +0200, Simon Lewis wrote:

Ive seen mention for pedal & power and something from motorola, but I
cant find anywhere to purchase such things. I want to trickle
feed/charge my mobile from the hub dynamo when touring. Surely such a
thing exists and works? Most links I find are dead ends or defunct
companies.

Anyone got anything concrete that they have used and can recommend?

I mean, if I can recharge my mobile from a USB port I surely can from
a hub dynamo?
Does your mobile have a charger for an automobile? If so, then you
need to find a suitable way of converting the output from your hub
dynamo to something like the 12-14 volt dc output from a car battery
to feed it into your automobile charger.

If your hub dynamo is already 12 volt then a simple rectifier is all
that is needed. If your hub is the more common 6 volt variety, then a
simple voltage doubler will be required.

Stephen Bauman

Yes. But where is the product I can buy? What is a simple rectifier?

I don't think there is one you can buy.

There are a couple of German products mentioned in this post:

http://groups.google.com/group/Surly...7e522f6a8c407d

It's easy enough to make one,
you'd need a full-wave rectifier, capacitor & voltage regulator, all can
be purchased from Radio Shack.

If you're not an electrical engineer (I am, but still would probably not
go DIY), you could go with a battery powered USB charger box that uses
standard (AA) cells, and either buy alkaline batteries, or use
rechargeables and recharge them from your dynamo. Peter White sells such
a charger, but only for 6V dynamos. That's assuming you've got a USB
phone.

Old June 25th 09, 10:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bernhard Agthe

Hi,

Simon Lewis wrote:
Ive seen mention for pedal & power and something from motorola, but I
cant find anywhere to purchase such things. I want to trickle
feed/charge my mobile from the hub dynamo when touring. Surely such a
thing exists and works? Most links I find are dead ends or defunct
companies.

Sorry, german site: http://www.forumslader.de/

Have fun...

..
Old June 27th 09, 10:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

Default part time charging and automatic long beam headlight selection Charger for batteries

On 24 June, 18:30, SMS wrote:

What would be cool is something like on the hybrid cars where there is
regenerative braking. A hub dynamo that engaged only when headed down
hill (a simple mercury switch could handle this) and that charged a 12V
battery pack. The battery could also be charged from AC power like a
plug-in hybrid, or from a small solar panel like Brunton sells for camping.

A tilt switch! This problem of how to part time engage a charge
circuit for battery/dynamo simply, has been puzzling me for some
time. The low component count and circuit simplicity is excellent. A
thought has also occured in that a downhill tilt switch engagement may
also be used to select a long beam headlight for economical use of
battery only lights.

Cateye ABS-30 charger? John Hearns UK 1 September 29th 11 05:45 PM
iPod charger elyob UK 1 December 6th 05 12:29 PM
Cateye ABS charger John Hearns UK 0 November 8th 05 09:28 AM
WTB: NiteRider Ni-Cd charger John M Marketplace 2 October 28th 04 04:33 PM
Battery Charger Bob Chambers Australia 3 December 4th 03 11:14 AM