rear tire size & quick changes on '99 Specialized Allez Ultegra

Old May 5th 04, 06:48 AM
biker019283

Default rear tire size & quick changes on '99 Specialized Allez Ultegra

I have a 1999 Specialized Allez Ultegra that I purchased used in
excellent condition about a year ago. The rims are Mavic CXP23
(622x15 6106) and the tires that were on the bike were Specialized
Turbo 700x23. I didn't receive an owners manual.

What I've found when after fixing a rear flat is I can't air up the
rear tire before placing(mounting) the tire back on the bike. What
happens is the tire hits the cross piece, connecting the two chain
stays, behind or to the rear of the down-tube prior to getting the
axle/quick-release into the drop-out brackets. I end up having to
place/mount the fixed flat tire without air on the bike and then
airing the tire up.

I've had the same problem with the following tires as well:
Continental Grand Prix 4 season 700x23
Michelin Pro Racer 700x23

I've talked to the LBS and they indicated tolerances on bikes with
tires and frames are very small and sometimes this happens and you
have to air up the tire after its placed back on the bike (the LBS
didn't sell the bike to me).

I called Specialized and spoke with a person there who has the exact
same bike. He said he doesn't have this problem and explained the
measurements on tire sizes (e.g. 700x23) can vary from brand to brand.
He indicated he uses a Specialized Armadillo 700x23 and is able to
change the rear tire and place it back on the bike when its fully
aired.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular bike, or
suggestions? Can anyone else confirm similar experiences with the
Armadillo tire that Specialized indicated?
Old May 5th 04, 07:36 PM
Zog The Undeniable

biker019283 wrote:

[...]

Presumably you have horizontal dropouts? I've had this problem on a
bike where the dropouts were replaced by a framebuilder for ones of a
slightly different design (shorter). You'll just have to experiment
with different tyres if a quick change is really important to you.
Sometimes a wheel will go in with a good thump of the hand, although
this does tend to scuff up the paintwork a bit.

Bianchi SISS Rear Tire Change George L. Porter, IV Mountain Biking 4 October 26th 03 01:27 AM
Devinci Silverstone vs Giant OSR1 vs Specialized Allez Elite Craig Newell Techniques 3 August 17th 03 03:43 AM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM
Beloki losing rear tire... Tubular problem? whitfit Techniques 81 July 22nd 03 11:48 AM