Don't wear earphones when cycling

Old February 23rd 12, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_13_]

Default Don't wear earphones when cycling

THE death of a cyclist in Hillside has prompted calls for pedestrians and
riders to be attentive on busy roads.

Police said the woman appeared to have entered the intersection against a
red light before she was hit by a car about 6.15am on February 10. The
36-year-old mother was not wearing a helmet. Headphones found at the scene
led police to believe she might have been listening to music.

Police have interviewed the driver, a 23-year-old Hillside man.

Melton's Inspector Mario Fiorentino said the cyclist was not wearing
reflective clothing and had no lights on her bike.

"There are a significant number of incidents with pedestrians and bicycles
on our road [and] it is a recurring theme of people not wearing helmets or
protective clothing," he said.

The cyclist was the fourth killed on Victorian roads this year.

Inspector Fiorentino said the practice of cyclists and pedestrians wearing
headphones was a serious concern because they couldn't hear what was
happening around them. It was becoming "endemic".

"It's fine if you're on a running track to listen to music, but if you're in
peak-hour traffic with earphones how can you be aware in those
circumstances?"

http://www.brimbankweekly.com.au/new...s/2460539.aspx

Old February 23rd 12, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PhilO

On Feb 23, 4:20*pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
THE death of a cyclist in Hillside ...

That would be Hillside in Brimbank, Australia, wouldn't it?
Old February 23rd 12, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly polly

"PhilO" wrote in message
On Feb 23, 4:20 pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
THE death of a cyclist in Hillside ...

That would be Hillside in Brimbank, Australia, wouldn't it?

I think your on the right line there

I'm sure you'd never catch a car driver listening to music while driving,
they might miss the a call on the mobile!

Old February 23rd 12, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 23/02/2012 16:20, Mr. Benn wrote:
[...]

How many more times?

It is not an offence to ride or drive whilst deaf.

It therefore cannot be an offence to ride or drive without being able to hear
audio cues. Being able to hear them is not compulsory.

I'd far rather my neighbour got their need for loud music out of their system
on the road rather than on the other side of the party wall.

[No, I haven't got noisy neighbours. But you know what I mean.]

Old February 23rd 12, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

JNugent wrote:
[...]

But if you are deaf then you will have learnt to be extra vigilant, whereas
a normal hearing person that makes themselves (effectively) deaf to outside
noises has not developed that skill. There are too many instances of
cyclists riding obliviously into an accident and even dying, simply because
they are in a cocoon of sound from headphones, something that car drivers
don't seem to do.

Old February 23rd 12, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Jolly polly" wrote in message

"PhilO" wrote in message
On Feb 23, 4:20 pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
THE death of a cyclist in Hillside ...

That would be Hillside in Brimbank, Australia, wouldn't it?

I think your on the right line there

I'm sure you'd never catch a car driver listening to music while driving,
they might miss the a call on the mobile!

A good while ago my postman shoved letter through my letter box which were
not addressed to me.
I chased him up the road with the letters. He was on a bike, on the footpath
and then on the road.
He did not hear me shouting as he had headphones plugged into his empty
head.

Old February 23rd 12, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

http://www.brimbankweekly.com.au/new...l/earphones-a-...

How many more times?

It is not an offence to ride or drive whilst deaf.

It therefore cannot be an offence to ride or drive without being able to hear
audio cues. Being able to hear them is not compulsory.

It is not an offence to ride a bike without a helmet. It is becoming a
reason to decrease a victim cyclist's damages.

I'd far rather my neighbour got their need for loud music out of their system
on the road rather than on the other side of the party wall.

So your peace and quiet trumps others' safety on the roads? Shirley
not!

Old February 23rd 12, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

"PhilO" wrote in message
On Feb 23, 4:20 pm, "Mr. Benn" wrote:
THE death of a cyclist in Hillside ...

That would be Hillside in Brimbank, Australia, wouldn't it?

I think your on the right line there

I'm sure you'd never catch a car driver listening to music while driving,
they might miss the a call on the mobile!

A good while ago my postman shoved letter through my letter box which were
not addressed to me.
I chased him up the road with the letters. He was on a bike, on the footpath
and then on the road.
He did not hear me shouting as he had headphones plugged into his empty
head.

Yes, that's why he was ignoring you!
Old February 23rd 12, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On Feb 23, 5:50*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
JNugent wrote:
[...]

We cannot know that. In a crash, the cyclist leaves the evidence by
having headphones, but does anyone ever mention the in-car stereo
doodad in the event of a crash? To be fair, I believe that the odd
mobile phone has come up in crash stories.
Old February 23rd 12, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 23/02/2012 18:55, Squashme wrote:
On Feb 23, 5:42 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'm that self-centred.

Or at least, I would be if I had noisy neighbours.

Cycling wear? SNES350 Unicycling 20 June 12th 07 05:02 PM
Do I really have to wear a helmet while cycling in Victoria? raisethe Australia 99 November 27th 06 02:52 AM
Non-clown-style cycling wear D.M. Procida UK 17 August 9th 06 12:52 PM
Cycling earphones R Brickston Techniques 0 July 13th 06 08:36 PM
Another reason to wear cycling glasses Zog The Undeniable UK 2 June 2nd 04 09:12 PM