Biking Colorado in september

Old September 2nd 03, 08:49 AM
Gordo

Default Biking Colorado in september

Hi,

I'am flying out to CO on monday for 3 weeks vacation, and was wondering if
any one had any suggestions from past experience as what route would be best
to take in all that CO has to offer for biking and sightseeing.

I've already booked up a place to stay in boulder for the first 5 nights -
and already have sourghdough trail down as a must do ride and have room for
one other ride in that area - any suggestions ?

Then i was thinking of going on over to winter park and then to Vail - But
their official summer season is now over - is it still worth going to winter
park and Vail - when dare I say it the lifts are shut?? -Bear in mind we
live at sea level so our lungs aren't going to be up to climbing all day
long 8-), what trails are the best to do here when you have to rely on
pedal power alone ?

Why do these palce shut down in september does the weather get very bad - or
is just that not many people are around in september ?

Next I was thinking of heading down the Gunnison and doing Hartman rocks and
then heading up to cretsted butte - any suggestions as to the best rides
here already have 401 down as a must do..

Then I though we could go down to Durango where it will be a bit warmer ? ,
going to mesa verda as a trip- any suggestions as to the best rides here ?

Then back to Denver via sand dunes, and Colorado springs

So have I missed anything or is there a better route I could be doing - also
any recommendations as to motels/hotels/condos to stay at would be great

Thanks in advance

Gordo

Old September 2nd 03, 08:44 PM
MattB

"Gordo" wrote in message
snip stuff I don't know a lot about

Next I was thinking of heading down the Gunnison and doing Hartman rocks

and
then heading up to cretsted butte - any suggestions as to the best rides
here already have 401 down as a must do..

If you like I'll show you around Hartman's (assuming I'm available). There's
maps, but nothing beats a tour for finding ways to make differents routes
flow into one another. I've been riding there for about 14 Years and know it
fairly well these days.

I know of a few other rides I'd consider "pretty nice" as well. If you got a
little altitude acclimation under your belt by then I could probably show
you a thing or two you may not find in the guidebooks. That's a great time
of year to be riding around these parts. 401 is probably a must-do for the
area. It's a great trail but also pretty popular.

There's lots of places to stay around here ranging from camping or a hostel
to fancy hotels. Sounds like you want a condo - in Gunnison or CB? If you
find a place that fits your price range, I could give you the lowdown. I
haven't stayed many places here except my house.

Then I though we could go down to Durango where it will be a bit warmer ?

,
going to mesa verda as a trip- any suggestions as to the best rides here ?

Craig B?

Old September 2nd 03, 09:24 PM
Edwards

if you do ANY trail near Crested Butte....do the Monarch Crest trail.
EPIC!!!!

(read the numerous reviews at www.mtbreview.com )

Go to Poncha Springs early to catch a shuttle(15 bucks or so). Get a map
and bring a patch kit, tube(s), lots of food and even more water.

all in all (with the rainbow) it is 32 miles of some of the best on the
planet.

edwards
--
I want to know God's thoughts... all the rest are details.
--Albert Einstein

Old September 3rd 03, 12:24 AM
Craig Brossman

Gordo wrote:

Hi,

I'am flying out to CO on monday for 3 weeks vacation, and was wondering if
any one had any suggestions from past experience as what route would be best
to take in all that CO has to offer for biking and sightseeing.

I've already booked up a place to stay in boulder for the first 5 nights -
and already have sourghdough trail down as a must do ride and have room for
one other ride in that area - any suggestions ?

Sourdough is a good trail, I would also suggest Walker Ranch. It is the
closest to Boulder and a very good trail. Do it during the day during a
weekday and avoid the crowds. The get a brew at the Mountain Sun
brewery, a bit granola, but unlike the all the other yuppie
establishments Boulder has gotten, IMHO.

Why do these palce shut down in september does the weather get very bad - or
is just that not many people are around in september ?

No people, many locals don't use the lifts, too many other places to
ride ...

Next I was thinking of heading down the Gunnison and doing Hartman rocks and
then heading up to cretsted butte - any suggestions as to the best rides
here already have 401 down as a must do..

MattB has filled you in here. 401 is a beautiful trail, the Monarch
Creast suggestion is not a poor one either.

Then I though we could go down to Durango where it will be a bit warmer ? ,
going to mesa verda as a trip- any suggestions as to the best rides here ?

Not necessarily, Durango will be warmer than Gunnison, but Gunnison is
ofter the coldest place in the state, along with Frasier (Winter Park
area). Mesa Verde may be quite warm, but the crowds will be gone, and it
is a neat place to see. Some of the oldest establishments in the US.
Like MattB, I would also ride with you if you are interested in a local
guide, and I am around. I don't know very much, but I'll bet I can find
a trail or two that would be fun. Hermosa Creek is probably our most
famous trail, it is beautiful, great single track, and NOT just all down
hill. We have many other right out of town, out and back on Jones Creek
is fun, Colorado Trail from Molas to Coal bank is the toughest 17 miles
I've ever ridden, all sorts of stuff. Email me if interested.

Then back to Denver via sand dunes, and Colorado springs

If I were you, I would do 401 in Gunnison, then on the way back up to
Denver (from Durango) skip the dunes and stay overnight in Salida, a
great stop off for more biking. Easy access to Monarch Creast or S.
Fooses (sp?) Trail. Salida is a nice little town, stay in the Woodlands
Motel, visit the newly remodeled indoor hot springs, eat dinner at
Laughing Ladies!

So have I missed anything or is there a better route I could be doing - also
any recommendations as to motels/hotels/condos to stay at would be great

Look online for motels in Durango and probably other areas. You get what
you pay for, so if you want to go cheap, than don't fuss about drippy
shower head.

Thanks in advance

Gordo

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove ".nospam" to reply)

Old September 4th 03, 08:30 PM
Per Löwdin

We just came back from Colorado. Think the most spectacular ride was Monarch
Crest, Winter Park has some excellent trails that are great fun and they are
close to the town without long approach ride on road, another great place is
Frisco (or Breckenridge). The Colorado Trail east of Frisco (via Tiger Rd)
is a good one, as is the Peaks Trail. The 401 in Crested Butte is great.
Though the approach to some trails is long and too many are shared trails
(MCs).

Best place over all was Durango. Lots of variation. Short trails just out of
town (Horse Gulch), long epic (Colorado Trail, Hermosa) etc.

Per
http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB.html

"Craig Brossman" skrev i meddelandet
et...
Gordo wrote:

[...]

? ,
going to mesa verda as a trip- any suggestions as to the best rides here

?

Old September 4th 03, 10:41 PM
Craig Brossman

Per Löwdin wrote:

Best place over all was Durango. Lots of variation. Short trails just out of
town (Horse Gulch), long epic (Colorado Trail, Hermosa) etc.

Per
http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB.html

Hope you found the local hospitality exceptional, good coffee at the
Steaming Bean and quality mexican at Tequila's.
Durango appreciates your support and are glad you liked our trails.

Old October 28th 03, 09:21 AM
Per Löwdin

Originally posted by Craig Brossman Per Löwdin wrote:

Best place over all was Durango. Lots of variation. Short trails just
out of town (Horse Gulch), long epic (Colorado Trail, Hermosa) etc.

Per

Hope you found the local hospitality exceptional, good coffee at the
Steaming Bean and quality mexican at Tequila's. Durango appreciates

your support and are glad you liked our trails.

Yes, it was all excellent, just did a write up mounted here
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Singletrack.htm However, can´t find a
comprehensive website with Durango Trails, not that I blame you, bet
that you like to keep some secrets to your self to avoid invasion.

Chers Per http://www.lowdin.nu