Dura-Ace crank problems?

Old August 29th 04, 10:02 PM
Shawn Amir

Default Dura-Ace crank problems?

My bike had developed a strange ticking noise which I finally traced to my
right crank/pedal interface. At 3 O'clock the pedal would get "set" and at
around 11 it would click to "unset" itself--these were imperceptible
movements of the pedal axle in the crank. So I removed the pedal, greased,
and re-installed it.

I also noticed a lot of fretting at the face of the crank arm where it
attaches to the pedal. The last 1/3 of the pedal threads had a lot of fine
metallic powder on them. I suspect that I must have neglected to grease the
pedal when I first installed it.... but all this fretting in only 5000 miles
seems a wee bit scary. I weight less than 195 these days and no one would
call me a strong rider... so what gives?

The cranks on there are 7700 Dura-Ace, and the chainrings also seem to have
a lot of blistering on the surface. Did Shimano change anything for 7701?
Are Ultegra cranks any different, other than about $80 cheaper for 30 grams
heavier?

Cheers, Shawn

PS: I have found one reference to speculation that Ultegra cranks may use a
softer alloy with perhaps less precise teeth cut in the octalink, any
experience with this?

Old August 30th 04, 05:23 AM
Trevor

Shawn Amir wrote in message ...
My bike had developed a strange ticking noise which I finally traced to my
right crank/pedal interface. At 3 O'clock the pedal would get "set" and at
around 11 it would click to "unset" itself--these were imperceptible
movements of the pedal axle in the crank. So I removed the pedal, greased,
and re-installed it.

I also noticed a lot of fretting at the face of the crank arm where it
attaches to the pedal. The last 1/3 of the pedal threads had a lot of fine
metallic powder on them. I suspect that I must have neglected to grease

the
pedal when I first installed it.... but all this fretting in only 5000

miles
seems a wee bit scary. I weight less than 195 these days and no one would
call me a strong rider... so what gives?

Install pedal with a pedal spanner. Oil is sufficient for assembly, grease
will slowly migrate from area of high pressure leaving attachment not quite
as tight as envisaged.

Trevor

Old August 30th 04, 08:23 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Shawn Amir wrote:

I also noticed a lot of fretting at the face of the crank arm where it
attaches to the pedal. The last 1/3 of the pedal threads had a lot of fine
metallic powder on them. I suspect that I must have neglected to grease the
pedal when I first installed it.... but all this fretting in only 5000 miles
seems a wee bit scary. I weight less than 195 these days and no one would
call me a strong rider... so what gives?

They all get chewed up like that (TA recommend the use of a washer
between the pedal and their cranks). The only broken cranks that I've
seen both went at the pedal end.

Old September 2nd 04, 12:15 AM
Trevor

Zog The Undeniable wrote in message 4132d56d.0@entanet...
Shawn Amir wrote:

I also noticed a lot of fretting at the face of the crank arm where it
attaches to the pedal. The last 1/3 of the pedal threads had a lot of

fine
metallic powder on them. I suspect that I must have neglected to grease

the
pedal when I first installed it.... but all this fretting in only 5000

miles
seems a wee bit scary. I weight less than 195 these days and no one

would
call me a strong rider... so what gives?

They all get chewed up like that (TA recommend the use of a washer
between the pedal and their cranks). The only broken cranks that I've
seen both went at the pedal end.

Quality pedals have the thread taper out,leaving a gap between pedal axle
boss and thread so removing the stress raiser which would otherwise exist at
the face of the crank at the pedal eye. A taper on the pedal eye will
reduce the stress raiser.

I wonder when and why TA recommended this practice of fitting washers, it
should have no significance with normal materials. I think it would have a
detrimental effect, because it would be taking the axle thread to the face
of the crank so negating the advantageous thread form of the axle.

Trevor