odd saddle sore, sorta

Old May 14th 05, 05:42 PM

Default odd saddle sore, sorta

After yesterday's ride, just under 50 miles, I ended up with two odd
saddle sores, which are more like welts. Initially they were pretty
much the outline of the seat on my butt cheeks, but now they have
receeded to just red crescents more or less at the saddle/butt contact
points.

I did this exact same ride just six days ago, in the same shorts (Pearl
Multisensor bibs) and had no problems. The only difference was I had
thermafleece tights over the shorts that time as it was 30F cooler.
However, this was only my third or fourth time wearing these shorts. I
have a pair of Descente shorts with less padding and they never give
troubles and I rode a pair of Pearl Ultra sensor bibs 150 miles one day
last year, along with lots of training rides, without any similar
problems. Anyone else had sores of this sort before? Could it be the
extra padding in the chamois?

As for the usual suspects, the shorts were clean, the saddle is well
over a year old and is a model I've been riding for several years, I
ride four or five days a week, but as far and hard only once or twice a
week.

I've had the run of the mill saddle sores before, but nothing like
this. I've ridden longer, harder, more frequently, and never got welts
on my cheeks.

Bradley in rainy (among other things) Spokane

Old May 14th 05, 10:54 PM
Claire Petersky

wrote in message
ups.com...
Could be a yeast infection. Try hand cream or other remedies for
saddle chafing. If this does not work, see MD for a cream with anti
biotic.

If it is a yeast infection, the best treatment is an airing, ideally in
sunlight, but this may not be practical, depending on your climate and
living situation. The second best treatment is an over-the-counter
anti-fungal (not antibiotic), which should clear up the problem immediately.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

See the books I've set free at:

Old May 15th 05, 04:35 AM
dkd

Go immediately to the local health clinic and get a dose of
penicillin. You have a dose of the clap!
Old May 15th 05, 01:13 PM

Old May 15th 05, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the thoughts (not just Paul, but Claire and Mike as well). I
can be pretty sure it's not the clap! I'll have to ask my wife about
yeast infections. I just found it odd that I had never, 20 plus years
of riding, ever had gotten such an "irritation," whatever it might be.
I've had the traditional saddle sores, but never in a seat/chamois
outline. Sounds like the anti-fungal would be athlete's foot sorts of
creams. Thanks.

Bradley

Old May 15th 05, 09:20 PM
Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip) Sounds like the anti-fungal would be
athlete's foot sorts of creams.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Right. That would be "athlete's butt," but that is not likely to be listed
on the squeeze tube.

Old May 17th 05, 02:00 AM

I was fighting armpit and crouch yeast infections for 3 years with over
the counter treatments (Medicated power) with poor results. My MD gave
me anti fungal cream cleared it up, and he recommened hand cream to
keep it clear. When it comes back, a few days with hand cream clears
it up without having to use the prescription.

saddle sore!!!! juggling_unicyclist_joe Unicycling 6 April 3rd 05 07:07 PM
Saddle sore Sb083459 General 4 April 9th 04 04:45 AM
Saddle Sore Question Brandon Sullivan General 4 December 13th 03 09:53 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM