Problems w/ KH/onza hub and crank set

Old September 6th 05, 11:20 PM
j45peterson

Default Problems w/ KH/onza hub and crank set

I have a KH/Onza 05 hub and crank set and I was cleaning it. Everything
went fine until I got to the inside of the crank.

1. There is that big bolt inside keeping me from cleaning the splines.
Any ideas how I can clean in there? (I also need to put grease back
in)

2. The "split washer" is inside the crank and I want to get it out to
clean it. Any ideas on how to do this?

3. The "ring-shaped bolt", pinch bolt or what ever that piece on the
end of the crank is called won't come off. How do you take this off? I
putting allen/hex keys in the holes and tried to “turn” (more like pull
with all my strength) the doughnut shaped “bolt” in a clockwise
direction. I couldn’t get it to turn.

4. This 'site' (http://www.krisholm.com/techsupport/hubassembly) tells
the order that the pieces go on the hub. I took off all these pieces. I
also took off a small metal washer/shim/spacer. This piece is really
small. I don't remember where it went on the hub (I.E. after the bearing
but before the thingamajig) and the site doesn't say as far as I can
tell. Do you guys know where it goes?

5. I’ve taken off all the grease. When I put the grease back on I want
to put it on all the surfaces that touch another surface right?

6. Do I put grease on the outer rim of the bearing that sits in the
bearing holders and frame?

7. Any other tips on greasing, cleaning, reassembly, and pinch bolts
would be nice.

Thanks j45

--
j45peterson
j45peterson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10760

Old September 7th 05, 02:31 AM
Nioate

I'm unsure about any of the other questions, but I think I know the
answer to question 4. From memory, the really thin spacer goes in
between the cranks and part F of the diagram. It sort of rests on the
splines and is the last thing to go on before the cranks.

I'd be interested in an answer to question 3 as well. Previous
unicyclist.com posts indicate that the ring thing on the end is a dust
cap and can be removed with a pin spanner. Its threads are left-handed
(opposite of normal). (That was also from memory.) I assume the answers
to 1 and 2 are obvious once you solve 3. In my case, a cursory effort
did not remove it and I haven't cared enough since then to try harder.

--
Nioate
Nioate's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9858

Old September 8th 05, 05:25 AM
jagur

jeez man, how did this get so burried? this forum was once full of tech
help, now its mostly boasting of personal drama, sarcasm then
applause.

anyway, i got my crappy camera and went the inlaws house to post some
help for you.

what you do in fact need is a pin spanner, the one i have is made by
Park Tools.

Kris needs to change what he says about using a allen wrench to tighten
the caps. it is both the wrong tool for the job and wont get it tight
enough.

| Attachment filename: hub 1.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/358427|

jagur - Look Ma, No PC

Posting From Your In-laws House.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Old September 8th 05, 05:30 AM
jagur

here is a link to what you need.

http://tinyurl.com/bdlpx

they come in differant sizes. read is the small one and the one you
need.

----------------------------

you just put the pins in the holes and twist. (see pic)

| Attachment filename: hub 2.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/358430|

Old September 8th 05, 07:22 AM
S_Wallis

This is a good diagram someone posted before. I think it was Roger at
UDC.

| Attachment filename: khhubexplanationsml.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/358446|

S_Wallis - Unsafe at any speed

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old September 8th 05, 07:37 AM
wogri

That's what Kris says about getting off split washers:

As you say, the split washer is stuck inside the crank when you take the
crank off. After you unscrew the ring washer on the outside of the
crank arm, just take a flat-head screwdriver and use it to gently tap
the split washer out of the crank.

Though: Mine seems to be stuck.

wogri

--