What's The Deal with Titanium Chain Locks?

Old September 8th 05, 09:33 PM
NYC XYZ

Default What's The Deal with Titanium Chain Locks?

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Jasper Janssen" wrote: (clip)And of course 'reactive' armour, which is
basically explosives slapped all over the outside, though I don't believe
that's in actual use yet, just research.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now we're getting somewhere. When do you think we will be able to get chain
with this "reactive" stuff on it? I can just picture the look on the guy's
face as it blows the jaws off his bolt cutters.

ROTFLMAO!

Thing is, it's illegal to booby-trap your property. Seriously, there
was some case in the Midwest where some guy booby-trapped his house and
permanently disabled a burglar...the guy had to pay money and got sent
to prison -- despite warning signs about deadly traps!

Old September 9th 05, 12:48 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

IMKen wrote:
Titanium is not as hard as steel. It will cut with tools easily
available to a thief. It is strong on a strength to weight ration
only.
Russians build Nuclear Submarines from the stuff so you can see that
is not even rare.

How many ended up at the bottom of the ocean?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old September 9th 05, 12:49 AM
Jasper Janssen

On 8 Sep 2005 13:33:51 -0700, "NYC XYZ" wrote:

Thing is, it's illegal to booby-trap your property. Seriously, there
was some case in the Midwest where some guy booby-trapped his house and
permanently disabled a burglar...the guy had to pay money and got sent
to prison -- despite warning signs about deadly traps!

Hell, you get sent to prison and fined for the entire productive working
life's worth of earnings if some drunk kid climbs over your fence marked
"warning, empty pool!" and uses your dive board to dive into 6 feet deep
air.

Jasper
Old September 9th 05, 01:21 AM
Jim Bianchi

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:48:57 -0400, Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
IMKen wrote:
Titanium is not as hard as steel. It will cut with tools easily
available to a thief. It is strong on a strength to weight ration
only.
Russians build Nuclear Submarines from the stuff so you can see that
is not even rare.

It should be noted that the old Soviet Union possessed the largest
workable supply of titanium ore in the world. So much so that they could
easily afford to use it for submarine hulls as well as whole aircraft
fuselages, while the 'western' nations had to muddle along with alloys of
steel for its hulls, saving the precious Ti for *some* aircraft and rocket
parts.

The proliferation of titanium for eg, firearms, jewelry, watches,
and so on, has only happened since the fall of the old USSR as a political
entity, releasing vast supplies of the stuff to entrepeneurs of the west.

--

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Old September 9th 05, 02:24 AM
none

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
How many ended up at the bottom of the ocean?

And of those, how many have been stolen by submarine thieves? I rest my
case.

-Mike
Old September 9th 05, 05:30 AM

My lock is made of depleted uranium.

--Keven.

Old September 9th 05, 07:09 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

NYC XYZ wrote:
Hi, All:

It occurred to me that a chain and lock made out of titanium would be
the lightest and strongest of all...but I don't seem to see any purely
titanium chain locks for sale, only "titanium reinforced" steel chain
locks.

Dumbass -

Titanium costs $50-100/lb. (probably more now, those are 3 years ago
prices)

Steel costs something like $1.50 lb. (cold rolled was $.38/lb. 3 years
ago).

There are a variety of commonly available steel alloys that are harder
to machine than titanium. Anti-theft chain was/is/will be a very poor
application for an relatively expensive material like titanium.

Only for commercial applications though. You should spend a grand or so
of your own money and make your own custom titanium anti-theft chain.
The girls in your neighborhood will be way impressed - you'll get laid
for sure.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Old September 9th 05, 12:38 PM
jbuch

NYC XYZ wrote:
Hi, All:

It occurred to me that a chain and lock made out of titanium would be
the lightest and strongest of all...but I don't seem to see any purely
titanium chain locks for sale, only "titanium reinforced" steel chain
locks.

What's up with that? Surely there are those who would pay premium
dollar for a lightweight but extremely strong chain lock made of
titanium. If I understand things correctly, titanium should be
unbreakable, right? I mean, it's the stuff tank armor is made of! But
I read instead that ti locks aren't as strong as steel, actually!

WTF?!

TIA!

Titanium makes a light knife, but it is quite poor in edge holding
capability, unless it is titanium carbide coated.

The hardness of titanium and metallic alloys (not the carbide) is poor
and being half the weight of good steel is not enough to make the world
hunger for a lightweight, expensive poor performing knife. Hardness is
pretty essential to edge holding in a knife. Half the weight and 1/2 or
2/3 of the hardness is a disaster as a knife.

Don't believe the popular press articles on much about technology.
Articles written by the technically illiterate are just that.

--
1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book
Old September 9th 05, 01:11 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 07:38:09 -0700, NYC XYZ wrote:

It occurred to me that a chain and lock made out of titanium would be
the lightest and strongest of all...but I don't seem to see any purely
titanium chain locks for sale, only "titanium reinforced" steel chain
locks.

And that "reinforcement" is marketing. Titanium is not magic. It is
neither stronger than steel nor lighter than aluminum. It is, however,
stronger than aluminum and lighter than steel.

What's up with that? Surely there are those who would pay premium
dollar for a lightweight but extremely strong chain lock made of
titanium. If I understand things correctly, titanium should be
unbreakable, right? I mean, it's the stuff tank armor is made of!

Not really. Though there seems to be interest in titanium-alloy armor,
your basic tank uses steel. Steels can be much harder than titanium, and
for a bike chain, that is vital -- as long as it doesn't become brittle.

The main military applications for Ti are where weight is vital and they
can put up with the cost, such as certain pieces of aircraft structures.
Most of an aircraft structure, though, is made of aluminum. The
Russians use it for some submarine pressure hulls, because the weight
savings means they can put more stuff in a physically smaller hull.
They also have about 90% of the world's Ti reserves, so it's a lot
cheaper for them than for the rest of the world.

newsgroups if possible).