Adjustable rubber rack straps, where to buy?

Old September 13th 18, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Adjustable rubber rack straps, where to buy?

Does anyone know where to buy ESGE bicycle rack straps like this in the
US without costing more than the whole rack?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uIcAA...Bv/s-l1600.jpg

They are rubber which the blistering sun has now shot. In Europe these
used to cost $4-5. Adjustment is without any excess rubber dangling into
spokes and stuff.

Or maybe something similar that has such seamlessly adjustable rubber
straps. Bungees or Arno straps are not so cool for sensitive loads.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 13th 18, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 16:19:00 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Does anyone know where to buy ESGE bicycle rack straps like this in the
US without costing more than the whole rack?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uIcAA...Bv/s-l1600.jpg

They are rubber which the blistering sun has now shot. In Europe these
used to cost $4-5. Adjustment is without any excess rubber dangling into
spokes and stuff.

Or maybe something similar that has such seamlessly adjustable rubber
straps. Bungees or Arno straps are not so cool for sensitive loads.

Adjustable Flat Bungee Cord? See Amazon, about $3.50 each.
https://www.amazon.com/Keeper-06119-.../dp/B0044FPNIG
Old September 13th 18, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Does anyone know where to buy ESGE bicycle rack straps like this in the
US without costing more than the whole rack?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uIcAA...Bv/s-l1600.jpg

They are rubber which the blistering sun has now shot. In Europe these
used to cost $4-5. Adjustment is without any excess rubber dangling into
spokes and stuff.

Or maybe something similar that has such seamlessly adjustable rubber
straps. Bungees or Arno straps are not so cool for sensitive loads.

Adjustable Flat Bungee Cord? See Amazon, about $3.50 each.
https://www.amazon.com/Keeper-06119-.../dp/B0044FPNIG

That won't work for Joerg.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 13th 18, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

Does anyone know where to buy ESGE bicycle rack straps like this in the
US without costing more than the whole rack?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uIcAA...Bv/s-l1600.jpg

They are rubber which the blistering sun has now shot. In Europe these
used to cost $4-5. Adjustment is without any excess rubber dangling into
spokes and stuff.

Or maybe something similar that has such seamlessly adjustable rubber
straps. Bungees or Arno straps are not so cool for sensitive loads.

Adjustable Flat Bungee Cord? See Amazon, about $3.50 each.
https://www.amazon.com/Keeper-06119-.../dp/B0044FPNIG

That won't work for Joerg.

--
- Frank Krygowski

That is correct. NOTHING works for Joerg.

Arno straps can be adjusted almost infinitely as far as pressure goes. I wonder what "sensitive" loads he's carrying on his bicycle? Liquid nitroglycerin perhaps?

Joerg's posts are quite entertaining though.

Cheers
Old September 13th 18, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Does anyone know where to buy ESGE bicycle rack straps like this in the
US without costing more than the whole rack?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uIcAA...Bv/s-l1600.jpg

They are rubber which the blistering sun has now shot. In Europe these
used to cost $4-5. Adjustment is without any excess rubber dangling into
spokes and stuff.

Or maybe something similar that has such seamlessly adjustable rubber
straps. Bungees or Arno straps are not so cool for sensitive loads.

Adjustable Flat Bungee Cord? See Amazon, about $3.50 each.
https://www.amazon.com/Keeper-06119-.../dp/B0044FPNIG

Bingo! I didn't know they made adjustable bungees which is exactly the
function I was looking for. It's on our Amazon shopping list now.
Thanks, John.

Frank and Sir: This does work for me. Reason why Arno strap won't work
well for this particular job is that I often carry softer materials and
sometimes even a large fruit or vegetable. A bursting plastic malt syrup
jug would be real fun on a bike. Arno straps or cinch-down straps can be
adjusted but their pressure comes on hard so I'd have to carry buffer
material. For the rack I need something with flex that can be adjusted
in tension, no extra buffer material needed.

Old September 13th 18, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Meantime your rubber bungee cord expands on bumps and thus you risk it coming off if the hook lets go. Then you might lose your load.

Cheers
Old September 14th 18, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I am not using it for heavy loads, just for sensitive ones. For heavy
loads I have cinch straps and heavy duty bungees.

Old September 14th 18, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

You should put your delicate cargo in a pannier. If you need more capacity, buy a trailer. I'm sure your wife would allow you to buy a bicycle trailer, maybe.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 14th 18, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Internet tip-
Don't do an image search for 'rack' & 'cougar' at work.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 14th 18, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/13/2018 9:06 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 4:21:10 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

I am not using it for heavy loads, just for sensitive ones. For heavy
loads I have cinch straps and heavy duty bungees.

You should put your delicate cargo in a pannier.

Grant Peterson recently publicized an interesting trick. In his example,
the delicate cargo was an expensive camera of some kind.

He was using a bike with a metal front basket. He used two cargo nets.
One he stretched across the top of the basket to form a sort of
trampoline. The camera sat on top of that net, suspended above the baset
floor. The other net went above the camera to hold it down and keep it
from bouncing out.

It seemed to me that would work pretty well, assuming you had a basket
on your bike.

(It wouldn't work for Joerg, of course.)

If you need more capacity, buy a trailer. I'm sure your wife would allow you to buy a bicycle trailer, maybe.

Maybe...

--
- Frank Krygowski

Toe Straps [email protected] Techniques 17 April 6th 09 08:39 PM
fs: Toe-Straps Mike Marketplace 0 July 28th 06 06:24 PM
Yakima roof rack: No rear tire rubber road adapter? Dave Smith Techniques 17 April 25th 05 01:45 AM
Bike rack straps and spoilers Tim Lapin General 2 August 25th 03 02:33 AM
Bike rack straps and spoilers Tim Lapin Techniques 2 August 25th 03 02:33 AM