Ride Report - 146 miles of back roads and huge skies.

Old July 19th 11, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Ride Report - 146 miles of back roads and huge skies.

Journo's account of his experiences around my neck of the woods.
I'll be doing some of those roads a week on Saturday - can't wait :-)

QUOTE:
For someone who does a lot of his cycling in a city, such quiet roads
provide something of a head rush. A couple of miles from Beverley I found
the road not just quiet but deserted. A glide through Market Weighton and
Pocklington warmed my legs for the climb into the Wolds proper. Fairweather
cyclists will be relieved to learn that the Alps this ain't. A long but
quite leisurely hill drew me up to the village of Huggate, where Hockney
spent two summers as a youth, stacking corn, cycling and "falling in love
with this part of the world".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...-route-cycling

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old July 19th 11, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 19/07/2011 12:26, Simon Mason wrote:

Journo's account of his experiences around my neck of the woods.
I'll be doing some of those roads a week on Saturday - can't wait :-)

QUOTE:
For someone who does a lot of his cycling in a city, such quiet roads provide
something of a head rush. A couple of miles from Beverley I found the road
not just quiet but deserted. A glide through Market Weighton and Pocklington
warmed my legs for the climb into the Wolds proper. Fairweather cyclists will
be relieved to learn that the Alps this ain't. A long but quite leisurely
hill drew me up to the village of Huggate, where Hockney spent two summers as
a youth, stacking corn, cycling and "falling in love with this part of the
world".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...-route-cycling

"[Your] neck of the woods"?

Beverly is renowned as a desirable place to live, well away from 'Ull (10
miles minimum). It is one of the places where that latter city's professional
classes aspire to live (and preferably, if ever possible, to work as well).

Pocklington is nowhere near 'Ull. It's closer to York and over 25 miles from
your Humberside stamping ground. Market Weighton is about halfway to York
from 'Ull (c. 20 miles away). Huggate is about 25m from the former
constituency of The Mouth of The Humber by the nearest route.

Calling these places your neck of the woods is like a Brixton resident
insisting that Mayfair is their neck of the woods. Only they'd be less
unjustified, given the relative distances.

Old July 19th 11, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Reed[_5_]

On 19/07/11 17:55, JNugent wrote:
[...]

So, given that the route described is 146 miles, how much of it would
need to be within a 10 mile radius of Hull for you to allow it to be
described as his neck of the woods? When doing a ride of this length,
anything in the London area could be described as a Brixton resident's
"neck of the woods", comparable to the overall distance cycled. Perhaps
Simon gets out and about more than you, and doesn't think in such quite
small terms?

Colin
Old July 19th 11, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jul 19, 6:20*pm, Colin Reed wrote:

So, given that the route described is 146 miles, how much of it would
need to be within a 10 mile radius of Hull for you to allow it to be
described as his neck of the woods? *When doing a ride of this length,
anything in the London area could be described as a Brixton resident's
"neck of the woods", comparable to the overall distance cycled. *Perhaps
Simon gets out and about more than you, and doesn't think in such quite
small terms?

Well, when I was a 13 year old boy I used to cycle all over that area
along with my friends, so can quite rightly call those East Yorkshire
villages my "neck of the woods". I now live in such a village, so
doubly so.

--
Simon Mason
Old July 19th 11, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 19/07/2011 18:20, Colin Reed wrote:
[...]

No-one could describe a 146 mile route as being within their neck of the woods.

When doing a ride of this length,
anything in the London area could be described as a Brixton resident's
"neck of the woods", comparable to the overall distance cycled. Perhaps
Simon gets out and about more than you, and doesn't think in such quite
small terms?

Or perhaps not. That's because I would not describe most of the places I get
to regularly as being in my neck of the woods.

Colin

Old September 16th 11, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Another report from part of the same route.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...ail/story.html

--
Simon Mason