113 or 118 bracket /// SRAM vs. Shimano

Old July 3rd 03, 01:12 PM
Constant

Default 113 or 118 bracket /// SRAM vs. Shimano

Thanx Nelson,

the supplier helped me too: if a XT-2003 crack is mounted, a 118mm
bracket is the one to use.

So two votes say 118mm will do...

cj

Nelson Binch wrote:
"Constant" l wrote in
message . nl...
| ...and the front derailleur is top swing, down pull Ø31.8mm
| Maybe it makes a difference.

You can use either on that bike. The 113 is required for 28.6 (1 1/8 inch)
FDs. The 118 is required for 34.9mm (1 3/8 inch) FDs. I generally tend to
lean toward the shorter one.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com

Old July 3rd 03, 08:18 PM
Sheldon Brown

A shy person asked:

I've a K2-1998 bike with 8 speed LX front. The current bracket has size
73-114 measured. (I suppose it should be 73-113) As you may expect it
has the square axle to mount the crack on. I want to mount a 9 speed XT
which has octalink. What new octalink bracket should I fit 113 or 118mm??

When Shimano recommends two different BB spindle lengths for the same
crankset, it mostly has to do with the diameter of your seat tube.

If you have a typical older steel frame with a 1 1/8" (28.6 mm) seat
tube, you want the shorter BB, for a 47.5 mm chainline.

If your bike has a fat seat tube, however, this means that the front
derailer mechanism is going to be farther out from the bike's
centerline, and the cage might not be able to travel far enough inward
to downshift reliably. For such bikes go with the longer option, for a
50 mm chainline.

More on this at http://sheldonbrown.com/chainline

My guess is that your bike probably would be best off with the longer size.

Sheldon "By The Numbers" Brown
| Life is made up of sobs, sniffles, and |
| smiles, with sniffles predominating. |
| --O. Henry |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Shimano delays Kaputnik General 5 June 28th 04 01:07 PM
Doable - a 9 gear Shimano Cluster on a 7 speed Shimano Exage hub? Peter General 4 April 29th 04 09:52 AM
Shimano upgrade question kj General 10 November 24th 03 04:20 PM
SRAM DualDrive Shifter? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 3 October 18th 03 07:55 AM
Sachs gear on shimano wheel? Paul Southworth General 1 August 22nd 03 10:19 AM