Vuelta-a-Espana stage 7 summary

Old September 1st 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Martin

Default Vuelta-a-Espana stage 7 summary

Changes in stage 7 compared to stage 6

Biggest gainers by position :
+74 Dmitriy Fofonov
+65 Stéphane Goubert
+61 Staf Scheirlinckx
+57 Pierre Drancourt
+57 David Loosli
+52 Jérémy Roy
+51 Nacor Burgos
+51 Jorge García
+51 Florian Stalder
+47 Mikel Astarloza

Biggest losers by position :
-34 Kevin De Weert
-28 David Millar
-23 Fabian Cancellara
-20 Daniele Nardello
-20 Erik Zabel
-20 Joan Horrach
-20 Raúl García De Mateo
-19 Denis Menchov
-19 Inaki Isasi
-19 Iñigo Landaluze
-19 José Antonio Garrido

Biggest gainers by time :
+0:31 Alejandro Valverde
+0:19 Carlos Sastre
+0:13 José Ange Gomez Marchante
+0:04 Manuel Beltran
+0:04 Janez Brajkovic

Biggest losers by time :
-20:48 Fabian Cancellara
-20:38 Aaron Kemps
-20:38 Addy Engels
-20:38 Alberto Benítez
-20:38 Alberto Ongarato
-20:38 Alessandro Petacchi
-20:38 Alexandre Usov
-20:38 André Greipel
-20:38 Anthony Charteau
-20:38 Assan Bazayev
-20:38 Aurélien Clerc

Favourites by position :
+19 Dario David Cioni
+12 Michael Rasmussen
+12 Davide Rebellin
+11 Pietro Caucchioli
+11 Michael Boogerd
+10 Haimar Zubeldia
+9 Alexandre Vinokourov
+5 Iban Mayo
+4 Alejandro Valverde
+2 Vladimir Karpets
+1 Manuel Beltran
+1 Carlos Sastre
-2 Andrey Kashechkin
-3 Vladimir Gusev
-4 Samuel Sánchez
-8 Danilo Di Luca
-9 Iñigo Cuesta
-11 Markus Fothen
-14 Leonardo Piepoli
-16 Oscar Pereiro
-19 Denis Menchov
-20 Daniele Nardello
-23 Fabian Cancellara

Favourites by time :
+0:31 Alejandro Valverde
+0:19 Carlos Sastre
+0:04 Manuel Beltran
-0:01 Alexandre Vinokourov
-0:05 Andrey Kashechkin
-0:27 Michael Boogerd
-0:28 Iban Mayo
-0:59 Davide Rebellin
-1:35 Vladimir Karpets
-1:47 Danilo Di Luca
-2:29 Samuel Sánchez
-3:17 Vladimir Gusev
-3:17 Pietro Caucchioli
-3:51 Haimar Zubeldia
-4:05 Dario David Cioni
-4:30 Leonardo Piepoli
-5:16 Michael Rasmussen
-7:56 Iñigo Cuesta
-10:21 Denis Menchov
-12:34 Oscar Pereiro
-20:38 Markus Fothen
-20:38 Daniele Nardello
-20:48 Fabian Cancellara

Top 3 and favourites standings :
1 Janez Brajkovic 26.48.27
2 Alejandro Valverde 0.05
3 Carlos Sastre 0.10
5 Andrey Kashechkin 0.23
6 Manuel Beltran 0.51
9 Danilo Di Luca 1.47
10 Alexandre Vinokourov 2.28
11 Iban Mayo 2.37
15 Samuel Sánchez 3.33
19 Vladimir Karpets 4.21
20 Michael Boogerd 4.29
26 Leonardo Piepoli 5.59
27 Davide Rebellin 6.08
30 Vladimir Gusev 7.10
39 Haimar Zubeldia 10.26
40 Pietro Caucchioli 10.33
42 Iñigo Cuesta 12.17
49 Denis Menchov 14.23
58 Oscar Pereiro 18.26
59 Michael Rasmussen 18.34
61 Dario David Cioni 19.23
81 Daniele Nardello 30.21
138 Fabian Cancellara 48.58
141 Markus Fothen 49.03

Retirements to date :
Davitamon-Lotto Robbie Mcewen
Française des Jeux Christophe Detilloux
" Freddy Bichot
Liquigas Charles Wegelius DNF 5
Phonak Hearing Systems Miguel A. Martín Perdiguero DNF 5
" Steve Zampieri DNF 7
T-Mobile Team André Korff DNS 5
Team Milram Volodymyr Dyudya
Total retirements : 8

Old September 2nd 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bounty Bob

Bob Martin wrote:

Top 3 and favourites standings :
2 Alejandro Valverde 0.05

I like Valverde, he seems much less cold and calculating
than the GT contenders like Armstrong Ullrich and even Basso.
More fun. Too many riders seem to be happy to sit and wait
and finish 3rd than try to finish 1st.

9 Danilo Di Luca 1.47

Was the road not steep enough for him today?

49 Denis Menchov 14.23

Pretty dissapointing.
Old September 2nd 06, 08:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

in message , Bounty Bob
') wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:

Top 3 and favourites standings :
2 Alejandro Valverde 0.05

I like Valverde, he seems much less cold and calculating
than the GT contenders like Armstrong Ullrich and even Basso.
More fun. Too many riders seem to be happy to sit and wait
and finish 3rd than try to finish 1st.

9 Danilo Di Luca 1.47

Was the road not steep enough for him today?

49 Denis Menchov 14.23

Pretty dissapointing.

Two great performances yesterday. David Loosli and Vino. I don't warm to
Vino; he's selfish and a loose cannon. But he really tried yesterday and
to be caught so close to the line - especially on a mountain-top
finish - is cruel. And Loosli's long break staying ahead of the big
climbers for so long was epic. It's performances like that that make
bike racing worth watching, even if they come to nothing in the end.

Sastre rode a very controlled race; early on the climb I thought he
hadn't got it, that he was going to crack. But he did just as much as he
needed to and no more. CSC, even without Basso, remain the most
interesting team in the peloton.

;; Drivers in the UK kill more people every single year than
;; Al Qaeda have ever killed worldwide in any single year.
Old September 2nd 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bounty Bob

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Bounty Bob
') wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:

Top 3 and favourites standings :
2 Alejandro Valverde 0.05

I like Valverde, he seems much less cold and calculating
than the GT contenders like Armstrong Ullrich and even Basso.
More fun. Too many riders seem to be happy to sit and wait
and finish 3rd than try to finish 1st.

9 Danilo Di Luca 1.47

Was the road not steep enough for him today?

49 Denis Menchov 14.23

Pretty dissapointing.

Two great performances yesterday. David Loosli and Vino. I don't warm to
Vino; he's selfish and a loose cannon. But he really tried yesterday and
to be caught so close to the line - especially on a mountain-top
finish - is cruel. And Loosli's long break staying ahead of the big
climbers for so long was epic. It's performances like that that make
bike racing worth watching, even if they come to nothing in the end.

I was going to mention Vino as a guy who does more interesting
things than the calculator types and he goes and does something
interesting again today. Probably not good enough to win one
of the GTs but way more interesting than the sit on someones
wheel unless 2k from the top of one stage.

Sastre rode a very controlled race; early on the climb I thought he
hadn't got it, that he was going to crack. But he did just as much as he
needed to and no more. CSC, even without Basso, remain the most
interesting team in the peloton.

I'm on the Valverde bandwagon for this race but Sastre is looking
a lot like he's safely in the calculator position.