14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

Old May 7th 17, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Robert Latest

Default 14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

....after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert
Old May 7th 17, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 7 May 2017 19:53:26 GMT, Robert Latest wrote:

...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert

Just came back from a ride on my 30 year old Shimano 18 speed
equipped Raleigh Century. (all original including the tires -)
Old May 8th 17, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 1:21:03 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On 7 May 2017 19:53:26 GMT, Robert Latest wrote:

...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert

Just came back from a ride on my 30 year old Shimano 18 speed
equipped Raleigh Century. (all original including the tires -)

Nice to see how many miles you put in.
Old May 8th 17, 12:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 3:53:29 PM UTC-4, Robert Latest wrote:
...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert

It's pretty amazing how well a lot of the 1980s (or a lot earlier) stuff still works if it's maintained reasnonably well rather than abused. I have a bicycle with the old Shimano 600 EX stuff on it including the scallop headset and I never have problems with it. I even have a number of NOS Uniglidge cassettes for it. I also have another bicycle with Duara Ace AX on itthat's still going strong. I just adore the stopping power of those brakes. Plus those brakes are the absolute easiest brakes to center if they should ever get knocked off center = just hold the center section of the brake caliper and move it to the centered position = no fuss no bother. My bicycle with the New 600 groupset still shifts flawlessly to. I think thatthe old stuff had a lot less that could go wrong with it in the shifting department.

Cheers
Old May 8th 17, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 08/05/2017 7:26 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

There's a lot to be said for some of the older bikes, especially the
well made ones. I just gave my old Bianchi to someone who needed a bike
and it's still working quite well for them. That said, a lot of the
changes have been improvements in performance or function in my opinion.

My current bike is lighter and handles better, the brifters blow off the
bar end shifters on the Bianchi (at least they were index shifters) and
the gearing is much more suited for the riding I'm doing now on the
current bike. I agree that sometime simpler is easier to maintain but
not always equivalent in function.
Old May 8th 17, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 4:26:18 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

The old groups only had to shift five or six speeds and the downtube shifters had a straight shot at the derailers. Everything was built very strongly in comparison to what we have today and all of the parts were metal without sections of them being made out of plastic and then covered with carbon cloth and entitled "Carbon Fiber".

It's no surprise that not only have they survived but they still work almost as well as new.