pinch flats 180 degrees out of phase

Old February 5th 08, 08:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
meb[_58_]

Default pinch flats 180 degrees out of phase

I recently hopped a curb from a parking lot to a paved trail into a
woods on a road bike-I mistook the curb for a ramp. I had 27x1 1/4 on
the front and 27 x 1 on the rear. In addition to the wider front, I
pulled up on the front handlebars to unload the front wheel whilst
traversing onto the trail. The rear received 2 pairs of pinch flats,
each pair of fang marks 180 degrees apart on the wheel. Any idea what
phenominon might pinch the tube twice?

i.e., might the rear have bounced or was something else likely going
on?

--
meb

Old February 5th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
catzz66[_2_]

meb wrote:
I recently hopped a curb from a parking lot to a paved trail into a
woods on a road bike-I mistook the curb for a ramp. I had 27x1 1/4 on
the front and 27 x 1 on the rear. In addition to the wider front, I
pulled up on the front handlebars to unload the front wheel whilst
traversing onto the trail. The rear received 2 pairs of pinch flats,
each pair of fang marks 180 degrees apart on the wheel. Any idea what
phenominon might pinch the tube twice?

i.e., might the rear have bounced or was something else likely going
on?

My guess would be that you may have just gotten lucky once before and
crimped the tube, but not enough to cause a failure. I top off my tires
every time I get ready to go out and still have hit some pretty mean
potholes that caused me to worry about pinch flats.
Old February 5th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 19:53:11 +1100, meb
wrote:

I recently hopped a curb from a parking lot to a paved trail into a
woods on a road bike-I mistook the curb for a ramp. I had 27x1 1/4 on
the front and 27 x 1 on the rear. In addition to the wider front, I
pulled up on the front handlebars to unload the front wheel whilst
traversing onto the trail. The rear received 2 pairs of pinch flats,
each pair of fang marks 180 degrees apart on the wheel. Any idea what
phenominon might pinch the tube twice?

i.e., might the rear have bounced or was something else likely going
on?

Dear Meb,

You could get a second pinch flat by hitting something a moment or two
after the first pinch flat let the air out of the tube.

A much smaller impact and obstacle can pinch the deflated tube.

Where the second pinch occurred would be pure chance.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Slime and pinch flats [email protected] UK 5 December 14th 07 11:46 AM
Are the new KH drilled rims more susceptible to pinch flats? unicyclistjoe Unicycling 9 October 26th 06 06:41 AM
pinch flats gds General 14 October 10th 05 04:46 PM
27 vs. 700 pinch flats meb Techniques 1 May 8th 05 06:53 PM
the next phase tracksterman Mountain Biking 5 January 11th 05 02:53 PM