broken spring on Record brake caliper

Old June 25th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default broken spring on Record brake caliper

I recently broke the return spring on one of my campy record brakes
(for the second time!). These brakes are maybe 5 years old. Is this
common? Does anyone have any idea why in the world this spring should
break?

BTW, I have a 30 year old set of Nuovo Record brakes, still working fine.

Alan

Old June 25th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Alan Gabrielli wrote:
I recently broke the return spring on one of my campy record brakes (for
the second time!). These brakes are maybe 5 years old. Is this
common? Does anyone have any idea why in the world this spring should
break?

BTW, I have a 30 year old set of Nuovo Record brakes, still working fine.

Alan

are you using aggressive cleaning agents like simple green?
Old June 25th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2006-06-24 20:40:17 -0400, jim beam said:

Alan Gabrielli wrote:
I recently broke the return spring on one of my campy record brakes
(for the second time!). These brakes are maybe 5 years old. Is this
common? Does anyone have any idea why in the world this spring should
break?

BTW, I have a 30 year old set of Nuovo Record brakes, still working fine.

Alan

are you using aggressive cleaning agents like simple green?

actually, yes, but not frequently (I wipe it clean much more often than
I clean it under the hose), but I never heard of Simple Green being a
problem

Old June 25th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2006-06-24 20:40:17 -0400, jim beam said:

Alan Gabrielli wrote:

I recently broke the return spring on one of my campy record brakes
(for the second time!). These brakes are maybe 5 years old. Is this
common? Does anyone have any idea why in the world this spring
should break?

BTW, I have a 30 year old set of Nuovo Record brakes, still working
fine.

Alan

are you using aggressive cleaning agents like simple green?

actually, yes, but not frequently (I wipe it clean much more often than
I clean it under the hose), but I never heard of Simple Green being a
problem

well it is - it's a stress corrosion agent. google for threads on what
it does to chains. i have a set of rims with all the [plated] steel
eyelets corroded out because of it too.

solution: replace your spring and keep s.g. the heck away from your
bike! be careful of other steel componentry, especially critical stuff
like brake cables. replace where possible.
Old June 25th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2006-06-24 20:40:17 -0400, jim beam said:

Alan Gabrielli wrote:

[...]

thanks for the advice!