What does Ed Dolan know?

Old June 1st 10, 04:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bruce Jensen

Default What does Ed Dolan know?

On Jun 1, 12:02*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Bruce Jensen" wrote in message

On May 31, 11:14 pm, Bruce Jensen wrote:

On May 31, 5:07 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
Dilettantes like me know
things that most folks do not know. Of course an awful lot of what we
know
is of no interest to anyone else.

Define "dilettante."

OOH, look, I found a definition from Princeton :-)

dabbler: an amateur who engages in an activity without serious

intentions and who pretends to have knowledge showing frivolous or
superficial interest; amateurish; "his dilettantish efforts at
painting"...

Forgive me if I chuckle to myself...

The above is exactly what I meant and I pride myself on my amateur knowledge
of many and diverse subjects. Experts are seldom needed for anything, except
rarely. Depth of knowledge of a narrow subject is for scholars, none of whom
I have ever found worth spending any time with, whether in person or via
their books.

Remember, the hedgehog only knows one thing whereas the fox knows many
things.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

I saw the words "pretends to have knowledge" - maybe you missed this
part. If you are proud of that, then I am worried for our world.
Some fox.
Old June 2nd 10, 03:39 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Bruce Jensen" wrote in message
[...]
[...]

A self-confessed (honest) dilettante is someone who dabbles in knowledge,
not pretending to be an expert. Tom Sherman is the opposite of me. He
pretends to be an expert and seems proud of it. I abhor expertise and think
it is tantamount to a confession of guilt for never having the guts to say
.... I don't know!