ARBR RIP

Old November 29th 05, 05:21 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Bottom posters, bottom feeders, whatever

"Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic" wrote in message
ups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
The execrable French would not know good humor if it jumped up and bit
them
in the elbow. Hells Bells, they even think Jerry Lewis was funny and a
great
comic!...

The French prefer overdubbing to subtitles [1]. One can only think that
whoever overdubbed Jerry Lewis was a much superior vocal actor than the
original.

[1] Normally a questionable practice.

I can't stand overdubbing. It will ruin any movie. Subtitles are the only
way to go. After awhile it is second nature to follow the subtitles without
missing anything. I have seen literally many hundreds of European films, all
with subtitles, when I was in New York, the film capital of the world for
art movies. It got so bad that after awhile I could no longer stand to watch
American movies. Even the good ones seemed very inferior compared to the art
films from Europe. This was back in the 60's.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old November 29th 05, 08:28 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Edward Dolan wrote:

Actually I have moved on a bit and am now using Mozilla Firefox, but I find
that I still need IE for various things. However, I do not see any reason to
give up OE as my newsreader as it works just fine (most of the time). Maybe
those of you who are paying good money for a newsreader could explain to me
what are the advantages of doing so.

Perhaps having made the step to Firefox you might like to try their
sister product Thunderbird which is also FREE and does a much better job
and is less vulnerable than OE as a mail and news client. It even
automates the import of all your OE stuff when you install it so you are
up and ready to go with no fiddly setting up.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old November 29th 05, 06:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Edward Dolan wrote:

I don't think anyone ever did look at those volumes, but that was
beside the point. The OED is one of the glories of the English
language and the English nation. But my efforts on behalf of
civilization were not appreciated by the patrons and the board of the
library, and so we soon came to the parting of the ways. Excellence
like mine is not easy to live with.

I'm not surprised. I bet the volumes you put out were out of date. Now
if you had gone and put the current version on the shelves rather than
some old obsolete volumes you found lying around I'm sure your efforts
would have been appreciated. But insulting the local population's
intelligence with out of date volumes - well what do you expect?

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old November 30th 05, 04:22 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

Actually I have moved on a bit and am now using Mozilla Firefox, but I
find that I still need IE for various things. However, I do not see any
reason to give up OE as my newsreader as it works just fine (most of the
time). Maybe those of you who are paying good money for a newsreader
could explain to me what are the advantages of doing so.

Perhaps having made the step to Firefox you might like to try their sister
product Thunderbird which is also FREE and does a much better job and is
less vulnerable than OE as a mail and news client. It even automates the
import of all your OE stuff when you install it so you are up and ready to
go with no fiddly setting up.

Thanks Tony. I have now received several good alternatives to my OE
newsreader. But still I wonder why anyone would pay for a newsreader when
there are so many good ones available for free.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old November 30th 05, 04:49 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

I don't think anyone ever did look at those volumes, but that was
beside the point. The OED is one of the glories of the English
language and the English nation. But my efforts on behalf of
civilization were not appreciated by the patrons and the board of the
library, and so we soon came to the parting of the ways. Excellence
like mine is not easy to live with.

I'm not surprised. I bet the volumes you put out were out of date. Now
if you had gone and put the current version on the shelves rather than
some old obsolete volumes you found lying around I'm sure your efforts
would have been appreciated. But insulting the local population's
intelligence with out of date volumes - well what do you expect?

There are some things in life which do not need to be up to date. The OED is
one of them. You go to that work to look up the history of words primarily.
New words are not worth bothering with and do not interest me. I will admit
I spent several days trying to get the dust off of those moldy old volumes.

I feel the same way about encyclopedias. I have the 1910-1911 onion paper
Eleventh Edition of the Encyclopedia Brittanica in my living room and I
refer to it all the time. Frankly, I am not much interested in anything that
has occurred since 1911. The scholarship back then was as good as it ever
got and Western Civilization was also as good as it ever got. W.W.I ruined
everything and W.W.II was the coup de grace. No thanks, I will take the 19th
century and you can have all the succeeding centuries.

As a former college librarian I will admit I love books. I mean I love the
physicality of books. I like to flip though them and smell them and even
taste them. Whereas my relationship with the computer is essentially one of
unadulterated hatred. It is good that I am getting on in years and will be
leaving this world in the not too distant future. Truth to tell, I am an old
dog and I am damned if I am going to learn any new tricks.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old November 30th 05, 07:45 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

Feel free to live in the past but I prefer a dictionary that has
sections of DNA and genetics, nuclear power, quantum electronics, female
emancipation and the many other features of the 20th century that
changed our lives

As a former college librarian I will admit I love books. I mean I love the
physicality of books. I like to flip though them and smell them and even
taste them.

Please don't eat the books.

Whereas my relationship with the computer is essentially one of
unadulterated hatred.

And yet you persist. Give in to you hatred and throw it in the bin. Or
rather get you "below stairs" servants to throw it out for you. You'll
feel better for it.

You don't know Gertrude Blovius by any chance? I think you would get on
well together.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old November 30th 05, 06:01 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

I would like to have been a Roman aristocrat from the Empire period and had
many slaves at my beck and call. What is this female emancipation thing that
you mention? Never heard of it! Everyone knows it was a colossal mistake to
allow women to vote. Only property owning male individuals like myself
should be permitted to vote, let alone hold high office.

If the Muslims have their way, the 20th century will be totally repealed and
we will all revert to the good old days of the Roman Empire. I shudder to
even think about what might happen in the 21st century if the Muslims do not
prevail, surely nothing good!

As a former college librarian I will admit I love books. I mean I love
the physicality of books. I like to flip though them and smell them and
even taste them.

Please don't eat the books.

I once found a fried egg between the pages of a book. I wonder if the reader
was using the fried egg as a book mark.

Whereas my relationship with the computer is essentially one of
unadulterated hatred.

And yet you persist. Give in to you hatred and throw it in the bin. Or
rather get you "below stairs" servants to throw it out for you. You'll
feel better for it.

My computer is going to go belly up one of these days and then I will be
done with it forever. Anything that doesn't work with a simple On and Off
switch is beyond the intelligence of the average man.

You don't know Gertrude Blovius by any chance? I think you would get on
well together.

I am way too lazy to look up who this character might be. Nice try though.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old November 30th 05, 08:54 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Edward Dolan wrote:

I would like to have been a Roman aristocrat from the Empire period and had
many slaves at my beck and call. What is this female emancipation thing that
you mention? Never heard of it! Everyone knows it was a colossal mistake to
allow women to vote. Only property owning male individuals like myself
should be permitted to vote, let alone hold high office.

Dream on as you sit there in front of your computer screen in the frozen
lands of Minnesota - the prime location of choice for people of property
and power.

--
Tony

right."