'Rolling Roads'

Old May 30th 05, 12:04 PM

Default 'Rolling Roads'

I want to get hold of a 'rolling road' for cycles (i.e. where you place
your bike in a frame, the front wheel is stationary on the ground, and
the rear wheel moved on two cylinder). Could someone provide me with
the correct name for this piece of equipment, and where I could buy
one?

Many thanks...

Old May 30th 05, 12:22 PM
Tony Raven

JohnB wrote:

Prepare of hours of mind-numbing boredom if you get one though.

That's rather misleading. I got one and didn't have hours of mind
numbing boredom. I gave up on it from boredom after less than half an
hour's total use ;-)

--
Tony

"Don't argue the matter, the difficulties will argue for themselves"
-W.S. Churchill
Old May 30th 05, 12:52 PM
JohnB

Tony Raven wrote:

JohnB wrote:

Prepare of hours of mind-numbing boredom if you get one though.

That's rather misleading. I got one and didn't have hours of mind
numbing boredom. I gave up on it from boredom after less than half an
hour's total use ;-)

LOL

That reminds me I need to clear the shed out, including the lump of
rusting turbo trainer cluttering the far corner...

John B
Old May 30th 05, 03:15 PM
m-gineering

Simon Brooke wrote:
The
second is what's called a 'turbo trainer', where the bike is clamped
(usually by the rear skewer) into a sturdy frame which keeps it
upright, and the rear wheel rests on usually only one roller. This is
much easier to use, and much safer,

~~~~~~~~

it can be pretty lethal for the rear traingle of a modern lightweight
frameset
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old May 30th 05, 06:41 PM
Zog The Undeniable

m-gineering wrote:

it can be pretty lethal for the rear traingle of a modern lightweight
frameset

How is carrying the weight of the bike on the skewer in this way any
different to riding on the road?
Old May 30th 05, 08:32 PM
JLB

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
m-gineering wrote:

it can be pretty lethal for the rear traingle of a modern lightweight
frameset

How is carrying the weight of the bike on the skewer in this way any
different to riding on the road?

I was wondering that. If the rider's centre of mass is fixed relative to
the bike, I cannot think of any difference. However, if the rider's
weight shifts from side to side while pedalling, a normal bike will
simply lean to compensate, while one fixed in a trainer remains upright
and the stresses on the right and left sides of the rear triangle will
oscillate. I've done no sums to find out if this could possibly be
significant.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap
Old May 31st 05, 02:04 AM
Vincent Wilcox

JLB wrote:
Zog The Undeniable wrote:

m-gineering wrote:

it can be pretty lethal for the rear traingle of a modern lightweight
frameset

How is carrying the weight of the bike on the skewer in this way any
different to riding on the road?

I was wondering that. If the rider's centre of mass is fixed relative to
the bike, I cannot think of any difference. However, if the rider's
weight shifts from side to side while pedalling, a normal bike will
simply lean to compensate, while one fixed in a trainer remains upright
and the stresses on the right and left sides of the rear triangle will
oscillate. I've done no sums to find out if this could possibly be
significant.

I can't see how the axle pivoting in the clamps of a turbo trainer
would cause forces that would not be seen during general
riding/cornering? So what if the axle is loosely held.

Mind they are expensive in terms of rear tyres, you're best bet are the
cheapest tyres money can buy.

dangers of rural roads wafflycat UK 48 May 18th 05 10:25 AM
Rolling Trials Competition Results HardcoreCokerRider Unicycling 24 February 22nd 05 06:07 PM
Northern Spain (Santander) trip advice needed Andy Lewis Rides 3 February 22nd 05 12:27 PM
Rolling Trials HardcoreCokerRider Unicycling 46 January 28th 05 03:33 AM