Frame suitable for fixed wheel bike?

Old September 23rd 04, 04:06 PM
Sheldon Brown

Peter S wrote:

I've been looking for a cheap frame suitable to build up into a fixed w=

heel
bike. I've been given an old Kojima Condor with downtube shifters, whic=

h I
know nothing about. The frame is marked 'Tange 900' double butted. I th=

ink
it=92s a lugged steel frame. Does anyone here know if this is a reasona=

ble
frame to dress up into a fixed wheel bike? I've googled but can't find =

much
info. The other bits of this bike show signs of neglect so I'm thinking=

if I
start with this frame it will need to be cleaned up, repainted and pret=

ty
well have a lot of work done.
=20
I want to use a fixed wheel bike for fun and training but also as a bui=

ld
project to learn more about how to do assembly and get some basic know =

how.

This sounds promising, but the most important detail is whether it has=20
horizontal dropouts or not.

My onlin article on Fixed Gear Conversions has a section on frame=20
considerations.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

Sheldon "Coasting Is Evil" Brown
| The wayfarer |
| Perceiving the pathway to truth, |
| Was struck with astonishment. |
| It was thickly grown with weeds. |
| "Ha," he said, |
| "I see that none has passed here |
| In a long time." |
| Later he saw that each weed |
| Was a singular knife. |
| "Well," he mumbled at last, |
| "Doubtless there are other roads." |
| --Stephen Crane |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old September 23rd 04, 06:06 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Peter S wrote:

I've been looking for a cheap frame suitable to build up into a fixed wheel
bike. I've been given an old Kojima Condor with downtube shifters, which I
know nothing about. The frame is marked 'Tange 900' double butted. I think
it’s a lugged steel frame. Does anyone here know if this is a reasonable
frame to dress up into a fixed wheel bike? I've googled but can't find much
info. The other bits of this bike show signs of neglect so I'm thinking if I
start with this frame it will need to be cleaned up, repainted and pretty
well have a lot of work done.

I want to use a fixed wheel bike for fun and training but also as a build
project to learn more about how to do assembly and get some basic know how.

Any help about the frame is welcome.

There is one essential and one desirable:

Essential: horizontal dropouts.

Desirable: either a high bottom bracket or slightly shorter cranks.
Old September 23rd 04, 09:06 PM
Lewis Campbell

You can pretty much run a fixed gear in any bike frame, even one with
vertical dropouts.

Here is a link to a newsgroup which can help you:-

Hope this helps you.

Lewis.

*********************************

"Peter S" wrote in message ...
I've been looking for a cheap frame suitable to build up into a fixed wheel
bike. I've been given an old Kojima Condor with downtube shifters, which I
know nothing about. The frame is marked 'Tange 900' double butted. I think
it?s a lugged steel frame. Does anyone here know if this is a reasonable
frame to dress up into a fixed wheel bike? I've googled but can't find much
info. The other bits of this bike show signs of neglect so I'm thinking if I
start with this frame it will need to be cleaned up, repainted and pretty
well have a lot of work done.

I want to use a fixed wheel bike for fun and training but also as a build
project to learn more about how to do assembly and get some basic know how.

Any help about the frame is welcome.

Thanks

Peter S

Old September 24th 04, 12:49 AM
Jeff Wills

"Peter S" wrote in message ...
I've been looking for a cheap frame suitable to build up into a fixed wheel
bike. I've been given an old Kojima Condor with downtube shifters, which I
know nothing about. The frame is marked 'Tange 900' double butted. I think
it?s a lugged steel frame. Does anyone here know if this is a reasonable
frame to dress up into a fixed wheel bike? I've googled but can't find much
info. The other bits of this bike show signs of neglect so I'm thinking if I
start with this frame it will need to be cleaned up, repainted and pretty
well have a lot of work done.

There's only one detail to be concerned about- does it have vertical
or horizontal rear dropouts? If they're horizontal, it's an easy
conversion, if vertical it gets somewhat more difficult. I wouldn't
bother repainting it unless it's some sort of restoreable collector's
item. Just ride it ugly.

Good reference: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

Jeff

Old September 26th 04, 02:21 AM
Luke

In article
, Peter S
wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. I've checked the pics on Sheldon's site. My
frame has 'short horizontal dropouts' so I'll proceed with this project.

On another note, is there any reason to NOT use the 39 tooth inner ring as
the chainwheel for a fixed wheel conversion so long as the appropriate rear
cog is used? I'd like to not blow the budget on this project while I build
and learn!

Thanks

Nothing wrong with the 39t chainring.

I'm running 48/17 chainring/cog combination. At times this is a bit
much for me - even living in relatively flat Toronto.

Regarding the relation between chainring and cog: I prefer a
combination whereby the number of chainring teeth are not evenly
divisible by the number of teeth on the cog. (For instance, I avoid a
48/16 ring/cog setup.) This more evenly wears the ring, cog and chaing
as, with each wheel revolution, the position of the cog vis-a-vis the
chainring changes, allowing different cog teeth to bear the force of
each downward pedal stroke.

luke