campagnolo victory or triomphe ?

Old December 21st 06, 10:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mariusz

Default campagnolo victory or triomphe ?

hi there,
I have just bought this bike for 169 $.
http://www.allegro.pl/item152091129_bianchi.html
I`m just wondering which campagnolo group is in that bike.
My guess - campagnolo victory from 1987 -1988 ? (except rear deralileur
- shimano 600)
Does anybody know what is "TUBI RINFORZATI FORMULA ONE BIANCHI
PRODUZIONE COLUMBUS" - I have read somewhere that 3 main tubes - from
that kind of frame - are made from columbus SL - is that true ?

regards
Mariusz

Old December 21st 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ventourist

Does anybody know what is "TUBI RINFORZATI FORMULA ONE BIANCHI
PRODUZIONE COLUMBUS" - I have read somewhere that 3 main tubes - from
that kind of frame - are made from columbus SL - is that true ?

Hi,
quite an amount for such an old bike. And what a size! You must be more
than 2 meters tall.
The italian phrase says that the tubes are made from reinforced steel
by Columbus. No Columbus stickers? Usually chrom-molybdenum steel.
Group determination: not for me. Good luck.

Sjef

Old December 21st 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

mariusz wrote:
hi there,
I have just bought this bike for 169 $.
http://www.allegro.pl/item152091129_bianchi.html
I`m just wondering which campagnolo group is in that bike.
My guess - campagnolo victory from 1987 -1988 ? (except rear deralileur
- shimano 600)
Does anybody know what is "TUBI RINFORZATI FORMULA ONE BIANCHI
PRODUZIONE COLUMBUS" - I have read somewhere that 3 main tubes - from
that kind of frame - are made from columbus SL - is that true ?

regards
Mariusz

Tough to say which group it is since both were almost identical.
Columbus chro-mo steel butted tubing. If it were SL, the sticker would
have been blue. Nice find for $169..it'll work well, for a long
tome...Just get a period RD, so that the bike isn't sullied by the one
that's one there...

Old December 21st 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Diablo Scott

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
mariusz wrote:
hi there,
I have just bought this bike for 169 $.
http://www.allegro.pl/item152091129_bianchi.html
I`m just wondering which campagnolo group is in that bike.
My guess - campagnolo victory from 1987 -1988 ? (except rear deralileur
- shimano 600)

Tough to say which group it is since both were almost identical.
Columbus chro-mo steel butted tubing. If it were SL, the sticker would
have been blue. Nice find for $169..it'll work well, for a long
tome...Just get a period RD, so that the bike isn't sullied by the one
that's one there...

Definitely a Victory or Triomphe crank but definitely not the shifters
and I don't think the brake levers either.

Old December 21st 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

ventourist wrote:
Does anybody know what is "TUBI RINFORZATI FORMULA ONE BIANCHI
PRODUZIONE COLUMBUS" - I have read somewhere that 3 main tubes - from
that kind of frame - are made from columbus SL - is that true ?

Hi,
quite an amount for such an old bike. And what a size! You must be more
than 2 meters tall.

Phoo. It's probably a 62 or 64 cm, which is the size I ride, and I'm
only 6-foot-4 (195cm).

Jeff

Old December 21st 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Thompson

On 2006-12-21, mariusz wrote:

I have just bought this bike for 169 $.
http://www.allegro.pl/item152091129_bianchi.html
I`m just wondering which campagnolo group is in that bike.
My guess - campagnolo victory from 1987 -1988 ? (except rear deralileur
- shimano 600)

Here are pictures of the Triomphe and Victory groups:

http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/triomphe.pdf
http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/victory.pdf

HTH...

--

John )
Old December 21st 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mariusz

thank you for this pdf files

Old December 21st 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

"ventourist" writes:

Does anybody know what is "TUBI RINFORZATI FORMULA ONE BIANCHI
PRODUZIONE COLUMBUS" -

Butted Tubes
Bianchi One
product of Columbus

(custom-drawn tubes - bianchi named them.)
(it's pretty easy to get custom-drawn tubes
from reynolds or columbus, if you're willing to
buy 100+ pieces.)

The partial grouppo is Campagnolo Victory. The way you can tell is by
taper on the right crank spider. Lower-end Triomphe spider tapers in
a bowtie shape. Victory spider is a pure Trapezoid taper. The bad
news is that you will have the weirdo reverse threads on the left
crank arm or on both crank arms. Luckily, you seem to have
self-extracting bolts. I wouldn't remove & reinstall these bolts too
often, if they get stripped. you're totally screwed ...

The bicycle in my office right now (1985 Trek #510) is campy triomphe
(the lower model grouppo).

These grouppos were supposed to replace Nuovo Record (Triomphe) and
Super Record (Victory). It didn't stick. These two grouppos - which
were almost identical - almost killed campy - they were so plain and
downright ugly - in the early 1980's. The work great, however. Also,
the cranks are not anodized, which was a first for campagnolo, so they
can be polished to a beautiful shine without damaging the finish.

You appear to have the campagnolo retrofriction levers. These are an
upgrade from Victory/Triomphe (does it make them C-Record or Croce
D'aune ? I don't know.)

Someone has put a Shimano 105 arabesque derailleur on the back of this
bicycle, and they also did something to the front brake bolt and brake
pads.

The first thing i'd do is to put a chromed dome nut on that front
brake, it looks horrible with the nut that's on there right now.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA

Old December 22nd 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:03:51 -0800, mariusz wrote:

hi there,
I have just bought this bike for 169 $.
http://www.allegro.pl/item152091129_bianchi.html
I`m just wondering which campagnolo group is in that bike.
My guess - campagnolo victory from 1987 -1988 ? (except rear deralileur
- shimano 600)

The cranks are either Victory or Triomphe (indistinguishable -- I had a
victory crank, and a friend had a triomphe, and the parts were
interchangeable). Very nice, IMO; they were the "compact" cranks of the
day.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you
_`\(,_ | killed all of us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds,
(_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places. Even Nazis can't
kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).
Old December 22nd 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:03:51 -0800, mariusz wrote:

hi there,
I have just bought this bike for 169 $.
http://www.allegro.pl/item152091129_bianchi.html
I`m just wondering which campagnolo group is in that bike.
My guess - campagnolo victory from 1987 -1988 ? (except rear deralileur
- shimano 600)

The cranks are either Victory or Triomphe (indistinguishable -- I had a
victory crank, and a friend had a triomphe, and the parts were
interchangeable). Very nice, IMO; they were the "compact" cranks of the
day.

--

I believe the Victory and/or Triomphe chainring's bcd is 116mm. 52t
chainrings amd 53t chainrings are still available, but anything smaller is

What looks interesting in the photos are the shifters. They look like the
old Campy C-Record retrofriction shifters. Otherwise, its probably Victory
or Triomphe from the late 80s era.

WTB: Campagnolo Triomphe or Victory Front Derailleur David Marketplace 0 January 22nd 06 04:58 AM
Victory (Of sorts) Jon is Away! UK 3 September 10th 05 04:00 PM
Victory!! Sigurd Unicycling 7 April 17th 05 01:45 PM
Hollow Victory crit PRO Racing 8 March 14th 05 11:22 PM
Victory Mandell Unicycling 3 February 8th 04 10:03 PM