The buffer is empty

Old June 12th 20, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default The buffer is empty

http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/LINKS/TEXT/MISSALOT.TXT

I was fiddling around in my files and found some how-to-write advice
as relevant to Usenet as to mailing lists.

It's ancient, but about the only thing out of date is the notion that
a newsgroup might have newbies.

I'm exausted today, and can't think why. The nearest to stressful my
follow-up got was the news that I'm due for a colonoscopy. At least
now you drink Gatorade instead of barely-diluted saccharin.

When I was a small child, saccharin came in teeny pills that Mom would
dissolve in Kool Aid. Mom put a lot of stuff in her "drink" besides
Kool-Aid powder -- I was shocked the first time I tasted straight Kool
Aid at a party -- and it tasted so good that I thought the tiny pills
must be the essence of yum. When Mom wasn't looking, I put one into
my mouth.

I really, really didn't like re-living that experience on my previous
prep day!

At least it will be another ten years before I have to do it again.
Perhaps by then colonoscopies will be obsolete.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old June 13th 20, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/11/2020 11:04 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I'm exausted today, and can't think why.

My last scary day of exhaustion was just a few days ago. When a fever
arose I was quite scared, even though we've been quite diligent about
isolation, masks, etc. I phoned my physician's office, and they sent me
for a COVID test.

Only while waiting for the test did I remember that we'd gotten our
second Shingrix vaccine the day before. I looked up the possible side
effects of Shingrix and - guess what? They're identical to the symptoms
of COVID.

Got one test result yesterday. All clear of COVID. It will take a few
days to get antibody results. I'm hoping I previously had a mild version.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 13th 20, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/11/2020 11:04 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

About the empty buffer: Got any wisdom about bikes for little kids? The
candidates are 6, 7 and 8.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 13th 20, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
jOHN b.

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 13:22:05 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/11/2020 11:04 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

About the empty buffer: Got any wisdom about bikes for little kids? The
candidates are 6, 7 and 8.

Should one use "training wheels" on kids bikes?

Back in the dim and distance past there was no such thing as training
wheels and kids seemed to learn to ride bicycles. Today my neighbor's
kids have bikes with training wheels and they've been riding the bikes
for at least a year and so far, it appears, have not yet learned to
ride without the outriggers.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 15th 20, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

wrote:

On 6/11/2020 11:04 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

About the empty buffer: Got any wisdom about bikes for little kids? The
candidates are 6, 7 and 8.

Should one use "training wheels" on kids bikes?

Back in the dim and distance past there was no such thing as training
wheels and kids seemed to learn to ride bicycles. Today my neighbor's
kids have bikes with training wheels and they've been riding the bikes
for at least a year and so far, it appears, have not yet learned to
ride without the outriggers.

I'm pure Sergeant Shultz on the topic of children, but training wheels
have always struck me as a device to prevent children from learning
how to balance.

Remembering the time we mislaid a pair of Boy Scouts in Saratoga and
found them in Mechanicsburg, perhaps training wheels are a good idea.

----------

I heard a rumor once that a very low top gear is a good idea on a
child's bike is a good idea because it teaches him how to spin.

It would also prevent excess strain on growing knees.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

In case of cultural confusion, Sgt. Shultz's trademark line was
"I know nothing, nothing!"
Old June 15th 20, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
jOHN b.

wrote:

On 6/11/2020 11:04 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

About the empty buffer: Got any wisdom about bikes for little kids? The
candidates are 6, 7 and 8.

Should one use "training wheels" on kids bikes?

Back in the dim and distance past there was no such thing as training
wheels and kids seemed to learn to ride bicycles. Today my neighbor's
kids have bikes with training wheels and they've been riding the bikes
for at least a year and so far, it appears, have not yet learned to
ride without the outriggers.

I'm pure Sergeant Shultz on the topic of children, but training wheels
have always struck me as a device to prevent children from learning
how to balance.

I learned to ride a bicycle by coasting down my neighbor's driveway.
This was back in the days of "coaster brakes" and I got the hang of
balancing pretty well but pedaling backward to stop was a bit
difficult and ultimately ran into a very large garbage can and
crashed.

Remembering the time we mislaid a pair of Boy Scouts in Saratoga and
found them in Mechanicsburg, perhaps training wheels are a good idea.

----------

I heard a rumor once that a very low top gear is a good idea on a
child's bike is a good idea because it teaches him how to spin.

It would also prevent excess strain on growing knees.

Single speed. When it gets hard to pedal get off and push :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 24th 20, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

wrote:

[...]

I recommend training wheels but up a little off the ground so they balance
on 2 wheels and only go to 3 when they aren't balanced. That way they feel
it a little and still need to use a kick stand when parking.

You'll also need to do a lot of running holding the seat and make sure they
have well fitting helmets.

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Old June 24th 20, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Two training wheels in back? That's insufficient. It's high time we
stopped ignoring the necessity of two training wheels in front. And
forget the fashion of having training wheels only a foot or so from the
main wheel of the bike! They should be much wider, at least three feet
out on each side, for real stability - and for safety!

Speaking of safety: Of course you're right, no child should ever be
allowed on any wheeled device without a helmet. Except for a car, that
is, because cars are very safe (even though they're one of the greatest
sources of serious head injuries). The lack of helmets is why so few
kids ever survived riding bicycles before the 1970s.

But not just any helmet! A kid's helmet must be a full face model,
because if your little girl should scratch her chin, there goes her
career as a model!

And don't stop there. Remember the most common bike injury is a skinned
knee. Knee scabs and scars have prevented many a modeling career! Don't
let your kid on any wheeled device without knee protection and elbow
protection. And don't forget those fingers! Gloves are a must!

It's really best to leave no skin exposed. We now know the dangers of
sunlight, not to mention scratches and road rash. With a full face
helmet, long-fingered gloves and a snow suit, your little darling will
be much, much safer.

But remember your water supply! Not only for drinking, but during those
hot summer days, soaking your child's protective snow suit can stave off
heat exhaustion for minutes at a time. Those summer temperatures can be
dangerous!

But for REAL safety? The kids should just stay inside.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 25th 20, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

In considering the "Safety Bicycle, if the two front "training wheels"
were attached to the front fork and therefore "steerable" there would
be no need for the center wheel and rather than a 6 wheeler it would
be a 5 wheeler... And, by using a solid axle between the rear training
wheels the "middle wheel" could be eliminated thus creating a
quadracycle.

Think of it a totally new method of traveling.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 29th 20, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

wrote:

[...]

At that point, just buy a battery powered hummer they can drive 2.5 mph on
the sidewalk and not let your child walk at all.

https://www.target.com/p/kid-motorz-...w/-/A-11600295

Then watch as kids slowly evolve to be like the people in the movie Wall-e
https://imgflip.com/memetemplate/193...fat-wall-e-guy

Runnin' on empty Dan O Techniques 102 June 10th 12 11:40 AM
Reverse rolls when empty [email protected] General 1 July 1st 08 12:50 AM
Riding on an empty stomach Ken C. M. General 17 January 30th 07 06:14 PM
Search for brake lines comes up (mostly) empty. [email protected] Techniques 9 December 31st 04 12:00 AM
Is rubber buffer between seatpost and CF base necessary? TheBadger587 Unicycling 2 July 29th 04 11:34 PM