A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old June 17th 20, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 154
Default Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 15:24:50 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 12:32:45 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

Go to Google Maps, measure the distance the cyclist travelled, divide by the time it took.
The numerical answer is left as a exercise for the student.


No need:

QUOTE:
GPS data included on the video footage shows the cyclist was travelling at 20mph at the time.
ENDS

There is video evidence that the driver overtook the cyclist on double unbroken lines when he was travelling at more than DOUBLE the legal speed. Plus it was also unsafe.


It's perfectly safe to overtake a narrow vehicle at only 20mph.

Nobody except those with OCD take those lines seriously, they're a guide telling you it's difficult to see oncoming traffic.
Ads
  #12  
Old June 17th 20, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 154
Default Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 15:24:50 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 12:32:45 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

Go to Google Maps, measure the distance the cyclist travelled, divide by the time it took.
The numerical answer is left as a exercise for the student.


No need:

QUOTE:
GPS data included on the video footage shows the cyclist was travelling at 20mph at the time.
ENDS

There is video evidence that the driver overtook the cyclist on double unbroken lines when he was travelling at more than DOUBLE the legal speed. Plus it was also unsafe.


Not evidence, or does the cyclist have a camera calibrated to police standards? Dashcam footage of me speeding while overtaking was handed in by one of my neighbours. The pigs ignored it. Home videos can be edited.
  #13  
Old June 17th 20, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,536
Default Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 6:49:38 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 15:24:50 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 12:32:45 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

Go to Google Maps, measure the distance the cyclist travelled, divide by the time it took.
The numerical answer is left as a exercise for the student.


No need:

QUOTE:
GPS data included on the video footage shows the cyclist was travelling at 20mph at the time.
ENDS

There is video evidence that the driver overtook the cyclist on double unbroken lines when he was travelling at more than DOUBLE the legal speed. Plus it was also unsafe.


It's perfectly safe to overtake a narrow vehicle at only 20mph.

Nobody except those with OCD take those lines seriously, they're a guide telling you it's difficult to see oncoming traffic.


Do the police have OCD?

QUOTE:
“The wheels of justice turn slowly,” the saying goes – but not in our latest Near Miss of the Day video, where a driver who had made a close pass on a cyclist was immediately pulled over and given a fine by a police officer travelling behind them who saw what had happened.

The officer told road.cc reader Liam, who filmed the footage last weekend, that he “though he was a goner” when he saw the driver overtake him, and immediately went full blues and twos as he went after the motorist, giving the cyclist plenty of room as he did so.

Liam told us: “Travelling along Lanark road in South Lanarkshire this driver decided to overtake on a solid white line with oncoming traffic.

“I had already suffered verbal abuse and impatient drivers on this ride (this was the first weekend all the garden centres on this road had reopened which probably explains why everyone was in such a rush).

“Couldn't believe my luck when I heard a police car go past me immediately afterwards with lights on.

“Was told by the police officer I gave my statement to who ‘thought I was a goner’ that the driver was receiving an on the spot ticket for careless driving.

“Nice bit of instant karma for a change!”

We agree. And it's also nice to have a Near Miss of the Day video that puts a smile on our face for a change.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...Gz6eeJU-xMWu_s
  #14  
Old June 17th 20, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 154
Default Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:28:18 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 6:49:38 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 15:24:50 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 12:32:45 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

Go to Google Maps, measure the distance the cyclist travelled, divide by the time it took.
The numerical answer is left as a exercise for the student.

No need:

QUOTE:
GPS data included on the video footage shows the cyclist was travelling at 20mph at the time.
ENDS

There is video evidence that the driver overtook the cyclist on double unbroken lines when he was travelling at more than DOUBLE the legal speed. Plus it was also unsafe.


It's perfectly safe to overtake a narrow vehicle at only 20mph.

Nobody except those with OCD take those lines seriously, they're a guide telling you it's difficult to see oncoming traffic.


Do the police have OCD?


Yes, it's a requirement for the job. Also they must have zero common sense. But it seems they don't need intelligence, due to the amount of times I've talked my way out of a traffic offence.

QUOTE:
“The wheels of justice turn slowly,” the saying goes – but not in our latest Near Miss of the Day video, where a driver who had made a close pass on a cyclist was immediately pulled over and given a fine by a police officer travelling behind them who saw what had happened.


Obviously had no real crimes to solve.

The officer told road.cc reader Liam, who filmed the footage last weekend, that he “though he was a goner” when he saw the driver overtake him, and immediately went full blues and twos as he went after the motorist, giving the cyclist plenty of room as he did so.


What we need is a law like in:

Bosnia and Herzegovina
Denmark
Italy
Malta
Netherlands
Serbia
Spain
Sweden

Dashcams are illegal. The cyclist would be arrested.

Liam told us: “Travelling along Lanark road in South Lanarkshire this driver decided to overtake on a solid white line with oncoming traffic.

“I had already suffered verbal abuse and impatient drivers on this ride (this was the first weekend all the garden centres on this road had reopened which probably explains why everyone was in such a rush).


What's in common with all these incidents of abuse? That's right, the cyclist.

Is he one of those that cycles slowly in the middle of the road? Most roads are wide enough for two cars and one bicycle. Very easy to overtake a bicycle when a car is coming the other way. I see it all the time without even a shaken fist from the cyclist. It would seem English cyclists must be more arrogant than Scottish ones.

“Couldn't believe my luck when I heard a police car go past me immediately afterwards with lights on.

“Was told by the police officer I gave my statement to who ‘thought I was a goner’ that the driver was receiving an on the spot ticket for careless driving.

“Nice bit of instant karma for a change!”

We agree. And it's also nice to have a Near Miss of the Day video that puts a smile on our face for a change.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...Gz6eeJU-xMWu_s


Get a life Simon.
  #15  
Old June 17th 20, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,536
Default Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 8:11:43 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:


Dashcams are illegal. The cyclist would be arrested.


In the UK, after a traffic incident, the police will invariably ask for people to send in any dashcam footage to assist with the investigation. Indeed, police forces often have a website where cyclists and drivers can send in evidence of crimes being committed.
  #16  
Old June 17th 20, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 154
Default Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 20:33:38 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 8:11:43 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:


Dashcams are illegal. The cyclist would be arrested.


In the UK, after a traffic incident, the police will invariably ask for people to send in any dashcam footage to assist with the investigation. Indeed, police forces often have a website where cyclists and drivers can send in evidence of crimes being committed.


But in the countries I listed, they're illegal, and for good reason.

Anyway, as I said elsewhere when I was not prosecuted for speeding, dashcams can only be used to observe something occurred, not the speed at which it occurred. Too easy to fake that.
  #17  
Old June 18th 20, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,548
Default Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines

On 16/06/2020 21:08, Simon Mason wrote:

GPS data included on the video footage shows the cyclist was
travelling at 20mph at the time.

The Star has contacted South Yorkshire Police.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/trans...ffield-2885345


Well, it's against the Highway Code.

Looks OK in that instance though. I've seen worse.
  #18  
Old June 18th 20, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,548
Default Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines

On 17/06/2020 20:11, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What we need is a law like in:

Bosnia and Herzegovina
Denmark
Italy
Malta
Netherlands
Serbia
Spain
Sweden

Dashcams are illegal.


They *are* legal in those countries.

The cyclist would be arrested.


In some countries, such a Germany, dashcams are legal so long as
material is not available to the public. Austria, Portugal and
Luxembourg are countries with an outright ban on *dashcams*.
  #19  
Old June 18th 20, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,536
Default Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 8:52:01 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 17/06/2020 20:11, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What we need is a law like in:

Bosnia and Herzegovina
Denmark
Italy
Malta
Netherlands
Serbia
Spain
Sweden

Dashcams are illegal.


They *are* legal in those countries.

The cyclist would be arrested.


In some countries, such a Germany, dashcams are legal so long as
material is not available to the public. Austria, Portugal and
Luxembourg are countries with an outright ban on *dashcams*.


I know they are banned in Austria as I was going to pass through this year and was warned that there were heavy fines for using one - Garmin Nuvicam.
  #20  
Old June 18th 20, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,548
Default Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines

On 18/06/2020 10:40, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 8:52:01 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 17/06/2020 20:11, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What we need is a law like in:

Bosnia and Herzegovina Denmark Italy Malta Netherlands Serbia
Spain Sweden

Dashcams are illegal.


They *are* legal in those countries.

The cyclist would be arrested.


In some countries, such a Germany, dashcams are legal so long as
material is not available to the public. Austria, Portugal and
Luxembourg are countries with an outright ban on *dashcams*.


I know they are banned in Austria as I was going to pass through this
year and was warned that there were heavy fines for using one -
Garmin Nuvicam.


As some say, it's completely daft. Austria have a heavy fine for just
possessing a dashcam but nothing to stop possession of any other camera
and using it to film the scenery. A Garmin is a satnav. Would they
really expect you to open it up and remove the camera?
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yellow Audi driver slaps cyclist after overtaking in Oxford Simon Mason[_6_] UK 0 May 26th 20 07:54 PM
Near Miss of the Day 414: Driver overtaking cyclist at speed almosthits another head-on Simon Mason[_6_] UK 2 May 23rd 20 11:37 AM
Madness: Driver almost hits oncoming vehicle while overtaking cyclist Simon Mason[_6_] UK 213 May 22nd 20 07:31 PM
Police Investigate Officer in Critical Mass Video Don Wiss General 43 August 14th 08 03:57 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.