A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Education 'better than speed limits' for cyclists



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 26th 20, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,520
Default Education 'better than speed limits' for cyclists

QUOTE:
A professional cyclist who lives on the Isle of Man believes better awareness rather than lower speed limits would help riders feel safer on the road.

The Isle of Man Cycling Association sent an open letter to Manx politicians this week calling for reduced speed limits to aid vulnerable road users.

Team Ineos rider Chris Lawless said issues such as "close passes" posed a bigger threat.

"It is not speed limits that are the problem it is education," he added.

The government's active travel strategy plan aims to increase the number of people walking or cycling to work to 20% by 2021.

A road safety strategy, which includes plans to implement education campaigns, was also approved by Tynwald in January 2019.

With more people potentially taking to the road on bicycles, education is needed "across the board" so everyone is "sharing the road together", Lawless said.

The Cycling Association's open letter called for limits in urban areas to be reduced to 20mph and 30mph for narrow rural roads as "a matter of urgency" to improve safety.

The Isle of Man currently has no national speed limit, which means many roads are derestricted.

Lawless, who is originally from Wigan, said many of his most dangerous moments were "not on unrestricted roads".

He added that there should be more "about how to overtake a cyclist" in a driving theory test than simply "make sure you give them room".

While many did try to leave sufficient room, some did not "accelerate quickly enough" to pass before encountering oncoming traffic, he said.

The government has been contacted for a response.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-eur...f-man-53182324
Ads
  #2  
Old June 27th 20, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 460
Default Education 'better than speed limits' for cyclists

On 13:43 26 Jun 2020, Simon Mason said:

QUOTE:
A professional cyclist who lives on the Isle of Man believes better
awareness rather than lower speed limits would help riders feel safer on
the road.

The Isle of Man Cycling Association sent an open letter to Manx
politicians this week calling for reduced speed limits to aid vulnerable
road users.

Team Ineos rider Chris Lawless said issues such as "close passes" posed
a bigger threat.

"It is not speed limits that are the problem it is education," he added.


If cyclists had to abide by special speed limits there would be fewer
accidents.
  #3  
Old June 27th 20, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,520
Default Education 'better than speed limits' for cyclists

On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 12:54:01 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 13:43 26 Jun 2020, Simon Mason said:

QUOTE:
A professional cyclist who lives on the Isle of Man believes better
awareness rather than lower speed limits would help riders feel safer on
the road.

The Isle of Man Cycling Association sent an open letter to Manx
politicians this week calling for reduced speed limits to aid vulnerable
road users.

Team Ineos rider Chris Lawless said issues such as "close passes" posed
a bigger threat.

"It is not speed limits that are the problem it is education," he added.


If cyclists had to abide by special speed limits there would be fewer
accidents.


The piece refers to motor vehicle speed limits on the unrestricted parts of the Isle of Man road network, not speed limits for cyclists, although there would be far fewer deaths if **motorcyclists** had speed limits.

260 deaths so far - and that's just the riders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rse_fatalities

  #4  
Old June 28th 20, 01:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 378
Default Education 'better than speed limits' for cyclists

On Saturday, 27 June 2020 12:54:01 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 13:43 26 Jun 2020, Simon Mason said:

QUOTE:
A professional cyclist who lives on the Isle of Man believes better
awareness rather than lower speed limits would help riders feel safer on
the road.

The Isle of Man Cycling Association sent an open letter to Manx
politicians this week calling for reduced speed limits to aid vulnerable
road users.

Team Ineos rider Chris Lawless said issues such as "close passes" posed
a bigger threat.

"It is not speed limits that are the problem it is education," he added.


If cyclists had to abide by special speed limits there would be fewer
accidents.


Is your real name David Bunny?
  #5  
Old June 28th 20, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 460
Default Education 'better than speed limits' for cyclists

On 01:29 28 Jun 2020, Mike Collins said:
On Saturday, 27 June 2020 12:54:01 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 13:43 26 Jun 2020, Simon Mason said:

QUOTE:
A professional cyclist who lives on the Isle of Man believes better
awareness rather than lower speed limits would help riders feel safer on
the road.

The Isle of Man Cycling Association sent an open letter to Manx
politicians this week calling for reduced speed limits to aid vulnerable
road users.

Team Ineos rider Chris Lawless said issues such as "close passes" posed
a bigger threat.

"It is not speed limits that are the problem it is education," he added.


If cyclists had to abide by special speed limits there would be fewer
accidents.


Is your real name David Bunny?


I suppose you will make your point eventually, if you have one.
  #6  
Old June 28th 20, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 378
Default Education 'better than speed limits' for cyclists

On Sunday, 28 June 2020 11:43:48 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 01:29 28 Jun 2020, Mike Collins said:
On Saturday, 27 June 2020 12:54:01 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 13:43 26 Jun 2020, Simon Mason said:

QUOTE:
A professional cyclist who lives on the Isle of Man believes better
awareness rather than lower speed limits would help riders feel safer on
the road.

The Isle of Man Cycling Association sent an open letter to Manx
politicians this week calling for reduced speed limits to aid vulnerable
road users.

Team Ineos rider Chris Lawless said issues such as "close passes" posed
a bigger threat.

"It is not speed limits that are the problem it is education," he added.


If cyclists had to abide by special speed limits there would be fewer
accidents.


Is your real name David Bunny?


I suppose you will make your point eventually, if you have one.


If you were really a veteran of this group you would know the answer.
Alternatively you could do your own reseaarch.
  #7  
Old June 28th 20, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 460
Default Education 'better than speed limits' for cyclists

On 12:54 28 Jun 2020, Mike Collins said:

On Sunday, 28 June 2020 11:43:48 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 01:29 28 Jun 2020, Mike Collins said:
On Saturday, 27 June 2020 12:54:01 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 13:43 26 Jun 2020, Simon Mason said:

QUOTE:
A professional cyclist who lives on the Isle of Man believes
better awareness rather than lower speed limits would help riders
feel safer on the road.

The Isle of Man Cycling Association sent an open letter to Manx
politicians this week calling for reduced speed limits to aid
vulnerable road users.

Team Ineos rider Chris Lawless said issues such as "close passes"
posed a bigger threat.

"It is not speed limits that are the problem it is education," he
added.


If cyclists had to abide by special speed limits there would be
fewer accidents.

Is your real name David Bunny?


I suppose you will make your point eventually, if you have one.


If you were really a veteran of this group you would know the answer.
Alternatively you could do your own reseaarch.


How about the facts? The lack of evidence in your reply is noted.
  #8  
Old June 28th 20, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 378
Default Education 'better than speed limits' for cyclists

On Sunday, 28 June 2020 13:53:51 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 12:54 28 Jun 2020, Mike Collins said:

On Sunday, 28 June 2020 11:43:48 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 01:29 28 Jun 2020, Mike Collins said:
On Saturday, 27 June 2020 12:54:01 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 13:43 26 Jun 2020, Simon Mason said:

QUOTE:
A professional cyclist who lives on the Isle of Man believes
better awareness rather than lower speed limits would help riders
feel safer on the road.

The Isle of Man Cycling Association sent an open letter to Manx
politicians this week calling for reduced speed limits to aid
vulnerable road users.

Team Ineos rider Chris Lawless said issues such as "close passes"
posed a bigger threat.

"It is not speed limits that are the problem it is education," he
added.


If cyclists had to abide by special speed limits there would be
fewer accidents.

Is your real name David Bunny?

I suppose you will make your point eventually, if you have one.


If you were really a veteran of this group you would know the answer.
Alternatively you could do your own reseaarch.


How about the facts?


Do your own research, all veterans of this group know David Bunny.

The lack of evidence in your reply is noted.


Evidence for what?



  #9  
Old June 28th 20, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 204
Default Education 'better than speed limits' for cyclists

On 28/06/2020 17:00, Mike Collins wrote:
On Sunday, 28 June 2020 13:53:51 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 12:54 28 Jun 2020, Mike Collins said:

On Sunday, 28 June 2020 11:43:48 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 01:29 28 Jun 2020, Mike Collins said:
On Saturday, 27 June 2020 12:54:01 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 13:43 26 Jun 2020, Simon Mason said:

QUOTE:
A professional cyclist who lives on the Isle of Man believes
better awareness rather than lower speed limits would help riders
feel safer on the road.

The Isle of Man Cycling Association sent an open letter to Manx
politicians this week calling for reduced speed limits to aid
vulnerable road users.

Team Ineos rider Chris Lawless said issues such as "close passes"
posed a bigger threat.

"It is not speed limits that are the problem it is education," he
added.


If cyclists had to abide by special speed limits there would be
fewer accidents.

Is your real name David Bunny?

I suppose you will make your point eventually, if you have one.

If you were really a veteran of this group you would know the answer.
Alternatively you could do your own reseaarch.


How about the facts?


Do your own research, all veterans of this group know David Bunny.


Until this very recent exchange, I for one had never heard or read the name.

Is it anything to do with Beatrix Potter?

The lack of evidence in your reply is noted.


Evidence for what?

  #10  
Old June 28th 20, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 359
Default Education 'better than speed limits' for cyclists

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 16:00:35 GMT, Mike Collins
wrote:

On Sunday, 28 June 2020 13:53:51 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 12:54 28 Jun 2020, Mike Collins said:

On Sunday, 28 June 2020 11:43:48 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 01:29 28 Jun 2020, Mike Collins said:
On Saturday, 27 June 2020 12:54:01 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 13:43 26 Jun 2020, Simon Mason said:

QUOTE:
A professional cyclist who lives on the Isle of Man believes
better awareness rather than lower speed limits would help
riders feel safer on the road.

The Isle of Man Cycling Association sent an open letter to
Manx politicians this week calling for reduced speed limits
to aid vulnerable road users.

Team Ineos rider Chris Lawless said issues such as "close
passes" posed a bigger threat.

"It is not speed limits that are the problem it is
education," he added.


If cyclists had to abide by special speed limits there would be
fewer accidents.

Is your real name David Bunny?

I suppose you will make your point eventually, if you have one.

If you were really a veteran of this group you would know the
answer. Alternatively you could do your own reseaarch.


How about the facts?


Do your own research, all veterans of this group know David Bunny.

Sorry, I don't. Issit a Judith Smith sock?

The lack of evidence in your reply is noted.


Evidence for what?







--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Education for California cyclists Frank Krygowski[_4_] Techniques 1 December 28th 18 09:02 PM
Liverpool considers speed limits for cyclists Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 6 June 25th 13 04:40 PM
Speed Limits Great Eastern UK 17 August 7th 10 10:26 PM
Speed limits again Eiron UK 27 June 1st 06 03:17 PM
Speed limits Paul D UK 59 May 17th 05 12:00 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.