Pedestrian died in hospital as result of collision with cyclistwhilst crossing the road

Old June 29th 20, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Pedestrian died in hospital as result of collision with cyclistwhilst crossing the road

Pedestrian was crossing the road and was hit by a passing cyclist.
QUOTE:
Police in Manchester are searching for a cyclist who collided with a pedestrian who later died in hospital.

The cyclist stopped following the accident in Didsbury, in the south of the city, on 20 June. But as the police were not called in the immediate aftermath no one took his details, Greater Manchester police (GMP) said, launching an appeal to find him.

The collision took place at 4.35pm, close to Didsbury library on Wilmslow Road. GMP believe the pedestrian, a 56-year-old man, was crossing the road when the incident occurred.

He suffered serious head injuries and died in hospital a week later, the force said.

“It is believed the cyclist remained at the scene when emergency services arrived, but police were not initially informed of the incident and so officers are now appealing to the cyclist to make contact with them to help with their inquiries,” GMP said in a statement on Monday.

Sgt Andrew Page, of GMP’s serious collision investigation unit, said: “This is a tragic incident and our thoughts and sympathies are with the loved ones of the man at this desperately sad time.

“We recognise the cyclist will be unaware of the sad developments since the collision occurred but we appeal to him directly to get in touch with us and help establish the circumstances so we can fully understand how this incident happened.

“Anyone who may have witnessed this incident or who could have dash cam footage of the incident should also contact police as this would significantly aid our inquiries.”

The incident happened on one of Manchester’s main cycleways, which runs from Didsbury to the city centre via Withington, Fallowfield, the “curry mile” in Rusholme and the university district.

Much of the route is segregated from traffic but the section outside Didsbury library is only green paint and runs between on-street parking bays and the main road.

According to the most recent figures available from the Department for Transport, 531 pedestrians were hit by cyclists in 2018. That year, 23,805 pedestrians were hit by motor vehicles.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ed-in-accident
Old June 29th 20, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 29/06/2020 18:19, Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

[TRANSLATION: The pedestrian was crossing the carriageway. It was not a
cycleway (WTMB) at all.]

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ed-in-accident

Anyone opening a book on the cyclist coming forward voluntarily?
Old June 29th 20, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 6:19:53 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

The incident happened on one of Manchester’s main cycleways, which runs from Didsbury to the city centre via Withington, Fallowfield, the “curry mile” in Rusholme and the university district.

Here is a photo of the cycleway where the pedestrian was hit after walking into the cycle lane. Visibility seems OK, so I can't understand why the man could not see the cyclist approaching.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ebs_me4W...pg&name=medium
Old June 29th 20, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 29/06/2020 20:31, Simon Mason wrote:

On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 6:19:53 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

The incident happened on one of Manchester’s main cycleways, which runs from Didsbury to the city centre via Withington, Fallowfield, the “curry mile” in Rusholme and the university district.

Here is a photo of the cycleway where the pedestrian was hit after walking into the cycle lane. Visibility seems OK, so I can't understand why the man could not see the cyclist approaching.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ebs_me4W...pg&name=medium

Or, indeed, why the cyclist could not see the man and jam on his
machine's brakes in order to avoid the risk of a collision.

Oh, hang on...

[Still claiming you aren't replying to my posts after you just tried to
obliquely answer my point about this being the carrigeway and NOT a
"cycleway"? ;-)]

Old June 29th 20, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

QUOTE:

According to the most recent figures available from the Department for Transport, 531 pedestrians were hit by cyclists in 2018. That year, 23,805 pedestrians were hit by motor vehicles.
ENDS

Hmmm - where is the greatest risk of being killed?
Old June 30th 20, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 20:19:59 GMT, Simon Mason
wrote:

QUOTE:

According to the most recent figures available from the Department for
Transport, 531 pedestrians were hit by cyclists in 2018. That year,
23,805 pedestrians were hit by motor vehicles. ENDS

Hmmm - where is the greatest risk of being killed?

I expect a lot of those car drivers were fully qualified cyclists (or
illegal drivers, as The Real World calls them).

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old June 30th 20, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 9:27:27 AM UTC+1, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 20:19:59 GMT, Simon Mason
wrote:

QUOTE:

According to the most recent figures available from the Department for
Transport, 531 pedestrians were hit by cyclists in 2018. That year,
23,805 pedestrians were hit by motor vehicles. ENDS

Hmmm - where is the greatest risk of being killed?

I expect a lot of those car drivers were fully qualified cyclists (or
illegal drivers, as The Real World calls them).

The courts also refer to them as drivers as they get points on their licences, whereas if they were cyclists, their licences would remain untouched.
Old June 30th 20, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 30/06/2020 10:30, Simon Mason wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 9:27:27 AM UTC+1, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 20:19:59 GMT, Simon Mason
wrote:

QUOTE:

According to the most recent figures available from the Department for
Transport, 531 pedestrians were hit by cyclists in 2018. That year,
23,805 pedestrians were hit by motor vehicles. ENDS

Hmmm - where is the greatest risk of being killed?

I expect a lot of those car drivers were fully qualified cyclists (or
illegal drivers, as The Real World calls them).

The courts also refer to them as drivers as they get points on their licences, whereas if they were cyclists, their licences would remain untouched.

What licences?
Old June 30th 20, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 6:19:53 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
Pedestrian was crossing the road and was hit by a passing cyclist.
QUOTE:
Police in Manchester are searching for a cyclist who collided with a pedestrian who later died in hospital.

There is some debate about the way the MEN has reported this incident.

QUOTE:
MEN draws criticism for coverage of fatal collision between cyclist and pedestrian.

The Manchester Evening News has been criticised for the way it covered the collision in Didsbury that we reported on earlier. Or, more accurately, the newspaper's been criticised for the way it covers other collisions, involving motorists and cyclists. The news editor replied to say people should email him with complaints.

Yeah, but #cyclists, let's play spot the difference at how @MENnewsdesk
report road traffic incidents.

Why does assumed guilt apply to cyclists while motorists are allowed to hide behind the anonymity of a vehicle?

Your reporter said "Man dies after cyclist crashes into him as he crossed Wilmslow Road"

That's not what the police said. How come you changed the police statement?
POLICE SAYS
At around 4.35pm on Saturday 20 June 2020 a pedestrian and a cyclist were involved in a collision, close to Didsbury Library.

It is believed that the pedestrian was crossing the road when the incident occurred.

The pedestrian – a 56-year-old man – suffered serious head injuries and sadly passed away in hospital a week later, despite the best efforts of medical staff.

It is believed the cyclist remained at the scene when emergency services arrived, but police were not initially informed of the incident and so officers are now appealing to the cyclist to make contact with them to help with their enquiries.
ENDS

The media love doing this. They publish inaccurate or deliberately divisive material but refuse to respond publically when called out. One local reporter round my way accuses any critics of trolling.
Old June 30th 20, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 30/06/2020 15:18, Simon Mason wrote:

On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 6:19:53 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
Pedestrian was crossing the road and was hit by a passing cyclist.

"A passing cyclist"?

What does that mean that would not apply to a passing HGV or army tank?

QUOTE:
Police in Manchester are searching for a cyclist who collided with a pedestrian who later died in hospital.

There is some debate about the way the MEN has reported this incident.

Really?

QUOTE:
MEN draws criticism for coverage of fatal collision between cyclist and pedestrian.

The Manchester Evening News has been criticised for the way it covered the collision in Didsbury that we reported on earlier. Or, more accurately, the newspaper's been criticised for the way it covers other collisions, involving motorists and cyclists. The news editor replied to say people should email him with complaints.

Yeah, but #cyclists, let's play spot the difference at how @MENnewsdesk
report road traffic incidents.

Why does assumed guilt apply to cyclists while motorists are allowed to hide behind the anonymity of a vehicle?

Your reporter said "Man dies after cyclist crashes into him as he crossed Wilmslow Road"

"Cyclist", eh?

OK...

That's not what the police said. How come you changed the police statement?

Hmmm...

*POLICE* SAYS
At around 4.35pm on Saturday 20 June 2020 a pedestrian and a *cyclist* were involved in a collision, close to Didsbury Library.

It is believed that the pedestrian was crossing the road when the incident occurred.

The pedestrian – a 56-year-old man – suffered serious head injuries and sadly passed away in hospital a week later, despite the best efforts of medical staff.

It is believed the *cyclist* remained at the scene when emergency services arrived, but police were not initially informed of the incident and so officers are now appealing to the *cyclist* to make contact with them to help with their enquiries.
ENDS

You do not identify the source of your quoted material, but it seems to
be claiming that the word "cyclist", used by the Manchester Evening News
in a prior report, had been used instead of some more ... er ...
"neutral" word used by the police.

But that is plainly incorrect, because the police are quoted as using
the exact same word - "cyclist" - *three times* (see above).

The media love doing this. They publish inaccurate or deliberately divisive material but refuse to respond publically when called out. One local reporter round my way accuses any critics of trolling.

It's such an unintelligent claim that the odds are that it has to be
from road.cc (where the writers are semi-literate at best).

But apart from that, what's the problem?

Did the Manchester Evening News, by reporting a story that should have
been hushed-up, fail to maintain the fiction that cyclists cannot harm
pedestrians when they run them down, whether on the footway,
carriageway, pedestrian-crossing or any other pedestrian-only area?

PS: Has the cyclist come forward voluntarily yet?

I bet you're not holding your breath on that one.