3 flat tires in a row??

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 17th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default 3 flat tires in a row??

On Apr 16, 4:10 pm, catzz66 wrote:
c wrote:

the recommendation about kevlar tires is pretty great, i'll be looking
into that next time i have a free hour

new wheels - bike's new, so not likely, but i will get them trued

i do carry a spare tube but it's for emergencies, such as when i'm in
a neighborhood i don't know or if i take a 5+ hr ride ... patch kit
too, multitool, universal-head double-action pump (no gauge on it
though, oh well), etc

side topic -- i've been borrowing a roadbike and it's a different
ballgame entirely, but i'm really digging it more and more ... sooo
efficient, but less "fun" than my hybrid ... i may become a "real"
bicyclist after all

I was one of the ones to recommend kevlar. They are a *lot* harder for
me to mount, and I did it on two bikes, but I want to say I have 1,100
miles on my main bike and 600 on my second bike since the last rainy
season and have had one flat. (Knocks on wood.) It was a presta tube
failure where the stem broke off of the tube from the daily flexing
airing it up.

Both my bikes are road bikes and I mostly ride in a big city and
occasionally ride in a very rural area a couple hundred miles away when
visiting relatives. I plan to stick with kevlar.

i went earlier this evening, on my way to the market, and asked about
kevlar - they told me they could do it right then and there, so it's
done

it was $35 per tire, but i only did the back one

i'm pretty excited =) the guys told me if i got a flat (that tire)
*again* they'd fix it free (which, in their language, means both
they're tired of fixing my flats and seeing my face and they took care
of the tire for real)

so thanks for the tip =)

(and the other guy who mentioned heavy-duty tires)

and FYI for the haters: it took 6 minutes, i looked at my phone

there was a hole almost the size of a pea in my old tube, but they
didn't find the culprit

Flat Resistant or Flat Proof Tires Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 9 February 3rd 07 05:35 AM
Mysterious flat tires Bob Newman General 22 June 3rd 06 02:37 AM
Run Flat tires Bert L.am Techniques 19 December 15th 04 10:27 AM
Kerry's flat tires Art Harris General 133 November 10th 04 12:13 AM
Flat Tires TRIKKE8 Australia 0 November 7th 04 02:39 PM