Max speed

Old December 10th 07, 07:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

Default Max speed

For anyone wondering, the max speed you can reach down a hill is
unrelated to what cassette you have on.

I inadvertantly replaced a 12-26 with a 13-26 (I could have sworn the
original had 13T written on it, but it's not like I had a choice given
I was mail ordering and the supplier didn't do anything else, 8-speed
wise). But it turns out you can do 87.45km/h on an Giant '05 OCR3
(2km/h faster than previously on that hill, and 5km/h faster than any
time I have actually bothered to record it in my logfile). I refuse
to confirm or deny whether I had a slightly hairy moment at the
bottom, wondering whether I could completely negotiate the slight
curve with the added nervousness of a truck coming up the other way.
No speed wobbles though -- for a cheap aluminium frame, I guess that's
something.

Considering I only ever got to 86km/h once, drafting Gags down the
warrandyte descent, I guess I can look favourably upon today's slight
wind.

Still missed my PB average by about 20 seconds. And today was with
the bus on my tail for a km or so through some twisty passages --
added some incentive to crack an average of 60km/h through that
section.

I also refuse to confirm nor deny whether I got to my front lawn,
struggled off the bike, poured the tap over me, and sat down on the
gutter for 5 minutes. Seems kinda pointless to save a few minutes on
the commute, then blow it all away by sitting on the gutter, but it
was fun

--
TimC
I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable then it's
Old December 10th 07, 08:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

TimC wrote:
For anyone wondering, the max speed you can reach down a hill is
unrelated to wha snip for space reasons

I would have thought max speed would have been an equation of rolling
resistance, wind resistance, gradient and friction. Perhaps a few other
things as well.
Assuming my computers were correct, I've reached 85 k/mh on three
separate occasions, once on a single bike, west coast Tassie, and twice
on a tandem, different locations Vic.
I found all three downright scary. Almost blind from wind tears, one
rock, pothole or twitch at that speed and you're dead. It's definitely a
hoot, but not one I seek out.
Cheers,
Ray
Old December 10th 07, 08:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

TimC wrote:

For anyone wondering, the max speed you can reach down a hill is
unrelated to what cassette you have on.

Provided you're not spun out before you hit the hill (ie, running way
too large a cluster). Also depends on the hill. If you really want to go
fast, accidentally leave the brakes in the "remove wheel" position,
which on a roadie still kind of works when you test squeeze and you're
used to the feel of a disconnected MTB brake. That was a brown trousers
moment at 60+...

I also refuse to confirm nor deny whether I got to my front lawn,
struggled off the bike, poured the tap over me, and sat down on the
gutter for 5 minutes. Seems kinda pointless to save a few minutes on
the commute, then blow it all away by sitting on the gutter, but it
was fun

So there was a point. I'm hoping for a Garmin 305 from Santa so I can do
that kind of thing more often, though on my old commute I knew all the
checkpoints. 30 minutes to the National Park was a good run...

--
Dave Hughes -
And you don't think the government lets you buy _real_ tinfoil do you?
Old December 10th 07, 09:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"TimC" wrote in message
[...]

Yesterday on my solo BR effort I decided to coast down the Warrandyte hill
and see what speed I could hit. I put my hands in either side of the head
stem, tucked my elbows in to either side of my knees (which I put in against
the top tube), arched my back and basically went "head down, bum up". I was
only doing about 30km/h or so as I rounded the bend at the top and I glud
from there. Didn't look at the speedo until after I had slowed down to
about 55km/h or so on the flat at the bottom and I discovered that I had hit
87km/h - not bad considering there was stuff all wind around.

From memory, I think the fastest I ever hit down that hill was 94km/h and
that was coming off of Blah's wheel when he was drafting Flying
Dutch.........it's certainly pretty exciting to get within a foot or so of
someone else's wheel at that speed!!!!

Gags

Old December 10th 07, 09:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-12-10, ray (aka Bruce)
TimC wrote:
For anyone wondering, the max speed you can reach down a hill is
unrelated to wha snip for space reasons

I would have thought max speed would have been an equation of rolling
resistance, wind resistance, gradient and friction. Perhaps a few other
things as well.

Having a slight tailwind behind you...

Oh, and that precarious crouch hanging onto the bars right next to the
stem.

Assuming my computers were correct, I've reached 85 k/mh on three
separate occasions, once on a single bike, west coast Tassie, and twice
on a tandem, different locations Vic.
I found all three downright scary. Almost blind from wind tears, one
rock, pothole or twitch at that speed and you're dead. It's definitely a
hoot, but not one I seek out.

Or 'roos in my case. I had sunnies on today, which saved the eyes.
The top part of the descent is hideous with potholes, but I'm doing
more like 60km/h through them.

This is my commute home, so I'll probably come a cropper one day, just
from the statistics (let alone my irresponsibility when on 2 wheels .
But I'll enjoy it up til then. Mind you, I have only ridden 7 hours
in the past almost 3 months according to my logs. That's the solution
to not hitting a roo - ride less. Damn it. Rarrgh, it's a pain
having cycling compete so much for limited time. At least I don't
drive to work

--
TimC
Using top down development, you never have any working code. Using bottom
Old December 10th 07, 10:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
blah

On Dec 10, 12:24 pm, "Gags" wrote:
"TimC" wrote in message

[...]

From memory, I think the fastest I ever hit down that hill was 94km/h and
that was coming off of Blah's wheel when he was drafting Flying
Dutch.........it's certainly pretty exciting to get within a foot or so of
someone else's wheel at that speed!!!!

Gags

I remember that one - good times...
I did 92.7 unassisted and 99 drafting a friendly tradie (they DO
exist) down that hill. You know, there are no hills here in Qatar. I
miss my bike...
Old December 10th 07, 10:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-12-10, Gags (aka Bruce)
From memory, I think the fastest I ever hit down that hill was 94km/h and
that was coming off of Blah's wheel when he was drafting Flying
Dutch.........it's certainly pretty exciting to get within a foot or so of
someone else's wheel at that speed!!!!

For brown knicks versions of "exciting"

--
TimC
The gedanken experiment failed. I couldn't reproduce the results -- TimC
Old December 10th 07, 12:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"Gags" wrote:

Yesterday on my solo BR effort I decided to coast down the Warrandyte hill

snip

From memory, I think the fastest I ever hit down that hill was 94km/h and
that was coming off of Blah's wheel when he was drafting Flying

Exactly which 'Warrandyte hill' is this :0

I know most of them, and this sounds something Xtr33m!!

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old December 10th 07, 12:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"PeteSig" wrote in message

"Gags" wrote:

Yesterday on my solo BR effort I decided to coast down the Warrandyte
hill

snip

From memory, I think the fastest I ever hit down that hill was 94km/h and
that was coming off of Blah's wheel when he was drafting Flying

Exactly which 'Warrandyte hill' is this :0

I know most of them, and this sounds something Xtr33m!!

I am pretty sure that it is Harris Gully Rd - as you come down the hill from
the Reynolds Rd end of it just after the fruit market and the left hand bend
in the road. The hill is fairly long and it gets steeper about two thirds
of the way down.

Old December 10th 07, 09:12 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-12-10, Gags (aka Bruce)

"PeteSig" wrote in message

"Gags" wrote:

Yesterday on my solo BR effort I decided to coast down the Warrandyte
hill

snip

From memory, I think the fastest I ever hit down that hill was 94km/h and
that was coming off of Blah's wheel when he was drafting Flying

Exactly which 'Warrandyte hill' is this :0

I know most of them, and this sounds something Xtr33m!!

I am pretty sure that it is Harris Gully Rd - as you come down the hill from
the Reynolds Rd end of it just after the fruit market and the left hand bend
in the road. The hill is fairly long and it gets steeper about two thirds
of the way down.

It's not as extreme as Pidgeon (? I remember it being spelled
"wrongly") Bank road. I only rode down it once, and so I was pretty
hard on the brakes. I don't think that's something that would change
subsequent times

--
TimC
Disinformation is not as good as datinformation. -- unknown