Light Up the Night

Old October 28th 03, 05:57 AM
lilschu

Default Light Up the Night

One thing that I tought would be great is to have a light built on to a
unicycle at the frame, so the light would be pointing where ever the
unicycle would be pointing. So I tried just that.

All over the web you can find great deals on lights, the one that I got
was the Vistalite Nightstick, having a battery that matches the unicycle
frame perfectly.

A friend and I both got one and looked for ways to mount this light to
the unicycle, and we finally found a great, cheap and easy way to mount
it! By using the same mount you use for a reflector you can attach the
light to it and clamp it onto your seatpost.

I do not own a digital camera, but will have a friend take some photos
of it so others can use the idea. At our unicycle club meeting tonight
we tried it out and it worked better then I thought it would.

I miight use a small headlamp as well to view things where I turn my
head, but having a light in the direction of travel is a great thing.

--
lilschu - MUni Rider
lilschu's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3898

Old October 28th 03, 07:36 PM
Mojoe

Brian,

I've tried bike mounted lights for bicycling off-road, but they never
seemed to point where I wanted them to. I bought my NiteRider Headtrip
three years ago and I love it. It's helmet mounted, so it is easy to see
where I want to.

Still, I'm interested to see what your set-up looks like. I don't always
(read seldom) wear a helmet when commuting to work, so a uni mounted
light would be ideal. There really has been a lot of cheaper lights on
the market since I bought my Headtrip.

Later... Joe

--
Mojoe - The Muni Militia

http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

Old October 28th 03, 08:29 PM
Rowan

It seems like an OK idea, but depending on the type of bulb you use,
maybe it would break prematurely since all the shocks the Unicycle takes
would transfer into the light, shaking it about. Household lightbulbs
are easy to break the filament, but I guess bicycle lights don't seem to
have that problem so nevermind. In the weekend I took my 3LED Petzl
light on a nightride. It was so weak next to the sun strapped to Tony's
helmet, that I ended up giving it to Ben and just rode in the beam of
Tony's headlamp. The Petzl is adequate for tracks you are familiar with,
but the more expensive headlamps with big battery packs and adjustment
switches are far superior when it comes to exploring new off-road
territory in the dark.

--
Rowan - •·.·´¯`·.·•
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Old October 28th 03, 08:59 PM
lilschu

Rowan wrote:
*It seems like an OK idea, but depending on the type of bulb you use,
maybe it would break prematurely since all the shocks the Unicycle
takes would transfer into the light, shaking it about.*

Ya, we also thought of that. But so far I have taken the uni with the
light attached around campus here, down stairs and hopped quite a bit
and it still works great. The one thing I have yet do do with it is
take a spill and have the unicycle smack the ground. I'll take that as
it comes, but I doubt that I will do as crazy at night as I do in the
day.

Pictures will be up soon, my friend has a digital camera so I will use
that tonight to get some good shots. Already I hace some ideas to make
the mount for the battery better, but I will also take care of that
later and post what works.

Old October 29th 03, 01:59 PM
lilschu

Klaas Bil wrote:
*Lilschu, don't you have a problem with your legs (knees) casting
shadows onto the trail? *

Actually the only place my knees cast a shadow is on the far side...off
from normal view. It actually doesn't bother me! If I had the light
placed somewhere else it might, but where it is located it is not bad.

Old October 29th 03, 07:14 PM
dazedNcontused

That sounds great! I've biked a lot at night, with two lights - one on
the bar and one on the helmet. The bar light is really nice, as it
casts shadows that you can see - you can't see the shadows from the
helmet light - and helps to spot bumps and hollows.

It would be cool to try mounting the uni light down near the crown to
get the most shadow. A helmet mounted light is good too (as Mojoe says)
since you want to be able to look ahead and around corners.

Tim

--
dazedNcontused - go play in the snow!

She was so impressed she didn't even roll her eyes. - Harper
dazedNcontused's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2147

Old October 30th 03, 04:52 AM
lilschu

Here is a link to some pictures I was able to take with a friends
digital camera...I hope these give a good idea of what the light setup
is like.

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/MUni-Light

| Attachment filename: muni light.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/169982|

Old October 30th 03, 10:02 PM
Mojoe

WOW, that is one pimp looking ride. That looks like it would work very
well.

Joe