stopping wheel theft?

Old May 21st 09, 07:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ablang

Default stopping wheel theft?

I guess the most obvious way to stop wheel theft is to actually loop a
cable or chain lock through both tires and locked to the frame and/or
the bike rack.

The other way, but not so easy, is to replace the quick release w/ the
screw & nuts.

I just recently learned that one can use a hose clamp to prevent the
quick release from working unless a thief is properly equipped w/ the
right tools.

What other ways can be done to prevent wheel theft?
Old May 21st 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Alan Hoyle

On Thu, 21 May 2009 02:03:07, Ablang wrote:
I guess the most obvious way to stop wheel theft is to actually loop a
cable or chain lock through both tires and locked to the frame and/or
the bike rack.

The other way, but not so easy, is to replace the quick release w/ the
screw & nuts.

I just recently learned that one can use a hose clamp to prevent the
quick release from working unless a thief is properly equipped w/ the
right tools.

What other ways can be done to prevent wheel theft?

There exist several options that replace the quick release skewers
with more secure locking skewers which require a compact, but
specialized tool to release or sometimes a normal hex key. For
example:

http://www.rei.com/product/732406
http://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=3071653
http://www.comcycle-usa.com/ProductInfo.aspx?id=3071870

A google search for "secure bicycle skewer" finds several of them.

-a

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Old May 21st 09, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

wrote:

In spite of many bicycles in the locked compound, a traffic jam of
SUV's and trucks deliver and retrieve what appears to be the majority
of seventh to ninth graders to David Starr Jordan middle school. What
will it take to bring communities back together so that parents do not
fear for their children's safety on the streets of their home town.

It's a self perpetuating process, since it's because of the traffic jam
of SUV's and minivans that parents fear for their children's safety.

One thing it will take is traffic calming designed to make it more
difficult for vehicles to deliver the child directly to the entrance of
the school. This is unlikely to happen, as the school boards and cities
have no interest in doing anything about the problem.

Another problem is the amount of stuff the kids take back and forth to
school. Probably when you were in junior high school you had a locker.
Lockers are now rare in junior high schools so you have to take
everything back and forth to school every day. I.e., I see a kid riding
his bicycle to the middle school carrying his trombone every day on a
specially constructed rear rack. Bravo for him, but if the school had
the large instruments to play at school, he wouldn't have to do this.
Old May 21st 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ben Pfaff

SMS writes:

Lockers are now rare in junior high schools so you have to take
everything back and forth to school every day. I.e., I see a
kid riding his bicycle to the middle school carrying his
trombone every day on a specially constructed rear rack. Bravo
for him, but if the school had the large instruments to play at
school, he wouldn't have to do this.

When I was in school, at least, the students owned their own
instruments, so this would require him to own two of them, one to
play at school, and one to use for practice at home.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org
Old May 22nd 09, 07:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
someone

On 21 May, 07:03, Ablang wrote:
I guess the most obvious way to stop wheel theft is to actually loop a
cable or chain lock through both tires and locked to the frame and/or
the bike rack.

The other way, but not so easy, is to replace the quick release w/ the
screw & nuts.

I just recently learned that one can use a hose clamp to prevent the
quick release from working unless a thief is properly equipped w/ the
right tools.

What other ways can be done to prevent wheel theft?

Use a shoulder strap and remove it from the rest of the bike, which is
then less desirable. Machines with mismatched wheels still get
stolen, one wheeled bicycles, rarely. And hang the remainder 8foot up
off a street lamp. You could use nutted axles with securing roll pins
through the nuts.
Old May 22nd 09, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Ablang wrote:
I guess the most obvious way to stop wheel theft is to actually loop a
cable or chain lock through both tires and locked to the frame and/or
the bike rack.

The other way, but not so easy, is to replace the quick release w/ the
screw & nuts.

I just recently learned that one can use a hose clamp to prevent the
quick release from working unless a thief is properly equipped w/ the
right tools.

What other ways can be done to prevent wheel theft?

I stopped using cable or chain locks after my last bike was stolen
(1969). I still have (and use) the original Kryptonite. If the
circumstances permit, I'll remove the front wheel & put the "U" through
it, the rear & frame. When I can't, I'll just take the front wheel (with
frame pump & saddle bag) along with me.
Old May 22nd 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:

In spite of many bicycles in the locked compound, a traffic jam of
SUV's and trucks deliver and retrieve what appears to be the majority
of seventh to ninth graders to David Starr Jordan middle school. What
will it take to bring communities back together so that parents do not
fear for their children's safety on the streets of their home town.

Same here (Boston area), good question. My impression is that street
safety is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Streets are deemed unsafe, so no
one uses them, so drivers come to expect no "impediments", speed and
carelessness go up, and then the streets really are unsafe.

Traffic calming is a very contentious subject. I'm a firm believer, not
in any one technique, but in the necessity for some mechanisms to
control vehicle speeds and access. Even my very progressive community
seems to be at best ambivalent, though.

More cars packed onto the same roads have increased congestion all over
the country. Since there's no room for new roads (often, and that only
postpones or relocates the inevitable), officials respond to complaints
by restriping more lanes in the same width (narrower lanes, shrunk
medians & shoulders) and turning a blind eye to speeding. Motorists,
frustrated by traffic jams, seek to bypass through residential
neighborhoods & back roads, and throttle up when the traffic thins to
make up for lost time.

I live in a suburb close to the city, and the last decade or two have
brought ever increasing volumes of commuters who use neighborhoods as
alternate highways and overflow parking lots. Officials (& many
residents) seem to just shrug and say that's just the way it is. In
reality, it's like an arms race, where the outcome is inevitable unless
you do the unthinkable -- disarm.

Our (Boston) mayor has had something of a recent epiphany when he began
bicycle commuting. He realized "this traffic is awful". Nothing like
cycling a few miles in the other guy's moccasins. Things look very
different on a bike than they do in the cocoon of today's vehicles. That
lovely purr of "performance" exhaust pipes jars you to the bone when not
attenuated by all that soundproofing. That delicious climate control is
not so comfortable when its waste heat spew is added to the tarmac
radiation on a steamy summer day. With GPS navigation, cell phone glued
to the ear and satellite radio ambiance, the pedal crankers in the road
are reduced to some dim abstraction, blurred by speed and tinted glass
until they're just part of your master of the universe video game.

It's a tragedy of the commons. People flee the congestion in suburban
sprawl, but bring the congestion with them, like smallpox. The costs,
both monetary and social, get increasingly externalized. The number of
apparent paradoxes multiply: lower the gas tax to compensate for higher
pump prices? But, won't that encourage more consumption? Or: traffic
makes it unsafe to walk/cycle, so I'll drive. It's a shell game where
nobody wants to tote up the actual costs (e.g. Iraq, childhood
diabetes). Competition for time and space have turned us into road
warriors, rage and scapegoating have become the social norm (much to the
detriment of cyclists). The change in public sense of what a road is
for, with zero tolerance for deviation, have made even local streets
follow the rules of limited access highways (no pedestrians, bikes,
horses). When there's an "incident", cops (while they've been trained to
respond with sensitivity) more than ever have the "what'd you expect"
bias -- as in the "Maybe it is legal (to bike here), but it shouldn't be".

To get us out of this chicken & egg dilemma, some eggs are going to have
to be broken. It reminds me of the auto emission wars of the 70's. There
was a huge outcry about the predicted negative consequences (expense,
efficiency, foreign competition, etc.). It takes but a brief ride behind
one of those antiques to appreciate what today's air quality would be
like if nothing had been done. The doomsayers were wrong. Now, much as
then, the preceding decades were times where values and policies
encouraged the very problem and precipitated the crisis. Switching
everybody to Prius clones won't fix things this time, though. We can't
pave our way out of it, either. America, having invented the car, now
needs to save the world from it. We have met the enemy, and it is us.

We have been sold on a seamless experience. We want the TV commercial
version -- empty streets (slightly wet for dramatic reflections), green
lights all through midtown, sultry model in evening gown riding shotgun.
Instead we get Tom Joad, bumper to bumper in rush hour logjams. It's no
wonder people are a bit testy. The deeper question is whether life is
really better fully carpeted, climate controlled and electronically
augmented. I don't know, just add the flowers and the mannered men in
the dark suits and you've got pretty much the opposite of life. Call me
a crank, but I need more sport and more utility in my world than that.
Old May 22nd 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"someone" wrote: (clip) You could use nutted axles with securing roll pins
through the nuts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Remember to add a drift punch and hammer to your tool kit. Sounds a little
"nuts." ;-)

Old May 22nd 09, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On May 22, 11:13*am, Peter Cole wrote:
Same here (Boston area), good question. My impression is that street
safety is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Streets are deemed unsafe, so no
one uses them, so drivers come to expect no "impediments", speed and
carelessness go up, and then the streets really are unsafe.

[snip]
With GPS navigation, cell phone glued
to the ear and satellite radio ambiance, the pedal crankers in the road
are reduced to some dim abstraction, blurred by speed and tinted glass
until they're just part of your master of the universe video game.

[snip]
We have been sold on a seamless experience. We want the TV commercial
version -- empty streets (slightly wet for dramatic reflections), green
lights all through midtown, sultry model in evening gown riding shotgun.
Instead we get Tom Joad, bumper to bumper in rush hour logjams. It's no
wonder people are a bit testy.

Tom Joad, at least, drove a HOV and/or hauled freight. It's all those
1.1 occupant cars that clog things up.

I like your video game analogy - well said.

Stopping rust Dan O Techniques 16 December 1st 08 09:58 PM
Are these secure bike 'bins' any good for stopping theft? [email protected] UK 25 July 12th 08 04:39 PM
Would like advice on preventing QR wheel theft David Lowther UK 21 January 1st 08 06:19 PM
Don't even think about stopping in a crash nash General 12 March 15th 07 08:49 PM
Thanks for stopping [email protected] Australia 4 December 9th 04 12:44 PM