When to honk at a bicyclist

Old October 17th 04, 02:33 PM
Fx199

Subject: When to honk at a bicyclist
From: (R.White)
Date: 10/17/2004 8:05 AM US Eastern Standard Time
Badger_South wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:22:31 GMT, "Fred Hall" wrote:

When to honk:

When you want to see how quickly a person can remove one hand from the

drops
and raise the middle finger of said hand high in the air...
---
But seriously...about a month ago while driving I came up behind four guys
probably my age (late forties) on a two lane country road, ambling along

at
probably 10 - 12 mph (no spandex to be seen), gabbing to each other, 4
abreast - 2 in each lane...they took their sweet time, gave me a dirty

look
for daring to be on the same road with them, then the two in the "wrong"
(passing) lane moved over so I had to go in the passing lane to get by
them...stretching out single file never seemed to occur to them. Being a
cyclist I didn't lay on the horn, but I sure wanted to...it's actions like
that that give us all a bad reputation.

Sounds like a troll. Did they impede you for more than, say 3 seconds tops?

Did they endanger you in your 2 ton metal cage? Poor thing.

Urge to beep isn't related to anything about reputation or justification;
it's just anger that something small and vulnerable asserted momentary
dominance.

Maybe it's that attitude that caused those truckers to harass you.
Keep asserting your dominance and you'll wind up dead.

Yep...really BAD advice to gve others as well. You can be right and dead at the
same time.
Old October 17th 04, 08:31 PM
VBadJuJu

"Fred Hall" wrote:

I've put a thousand miles
on my bike this season

Fredo es muy macho!
Old October 18th 04, 12:19 AM
Fred Hall

"VBadJuJu" none@ wrote in message
"Fred Hall" wrote:

I've put a thousand miles
on my bike this season

Fredo es muy macho!

But unfortunately I'll always be a Fred on a bike :-)

Old October 18th 04, 05:33 PM
neil0502

"Badger_South" wrote

Zoot Katz wrote:

(R.White) repeated:

and gives other cyclists a bad name. It's too bad someone
else in the area you ride may fall victim to some idiot driver that
you ****ed off earlier when you showed them who was in charge of
the road.

Do you idiots make up these kinds of stories just to scare yourselves
or because you're unable to take responsibility for your own actions?

How about because of your deplorable habits every White in the phone
book should start getting crank calls and letter bombs?

Maybe it's because you're ready to excuse murderous drivers assaulting
cyclists. "The way they were dressed they were just askin' for it"!

Substantiate your silly boogie man myth with documented cases or STFU.

I vote with STFU, and him changing his handle to car-lover which suits

his
trolling ass better. Idiot drivers don't need any 'reason' to act ****ed
off at bikers, and we've seen how they act with their own kids in the

car,
not paying attention, yakking on the cell, caring less if they run up a
telephone pole or into a semi.

Nice dose of venom here, boys (especially considering that most of us ride
bikes AND drive cars....)

I disagree with this position. Just look at your last post, Badger, and
perhaps you'll see that you've made my case for me. Didn't you just malign
several groups of people (parents with kids in car, cell-phone users) with
a broad brush based on your experience with only a small group of each???

In other words, it would *really* be jim dandy if people /didn't/ see a
single @sshole cyclist doing something inanely stupid and associate future
cyclists, even innocent ones, with that action to some degree.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen it work that way. We like labels and nice,
neat buckets. People make associations like this alllll the time, Zoot.

How many of you, when somebody finds out you're a cyclist, have been asked
something like, "Why is it all you guys seem to run red lights?" or "Why is
it that when a bunch of you cyclists go for a ride together, you take up
the whole road even when there's a perfectly good designated bike path?"
I've heard these comments puh-lenty, thankyouverymuch.

I can say this much with relative certainty: discourteous behavior on the
road--regardless of how many wheels you're piloting--rarely has a positive
effect. Courtesy is very much a two-way street.

(choosing not to 'STFU' in this case)

Old October 18th 04, 06:26 PM
Badger_South

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:33:07 GMT, "neil0502" wrote:

I can say this much with relative certainty: discourteous behavior on the
road--regardless of how many wheels you're piloting--rarely has a positive
effect. Courtesy is very much a two-way street.

(choosing not to 'STFU' in this case)

No need, I find your comments fair.

Generally, I'm -extremely- courteous on the road when biking, and always
wave to motorists that give me a few seconds to make make a turn, or avoid
right or left hooking me.

It's only when I'm at home ranting and raving g on the computer that I
express disdain for bad driving habits. On the road I'm much too focussed
on the ride, staying alive and enjoying myself.

However, I admit to being partial to bikers and allow them lots of leeway
to run stop signs, and take up the road, mostly b/c there are so few of
them, and they're probably not doing such things to annoy drivers - they
doing them to 'get by'. If I run a stop sign, it's b/c there are no cars in
sight, and it's at the beginning of a long steep section. There's a strong
urge not to unclip, so even stoplights or signs that would be simple to
stop at, I'll usually just slow to a momentary trackstand and then procede
as safely as possible.

However let me ask you this. Just how much discourteous behavior is
possible on a bike, fercrissakes? Not much. Maybe taking the road for a few
seconds too long, and running some stop signs, not just to get somewhere
sooner, but to keep from unclipping and to allow taking the next steep;
perhaps turning or weaving unpredictably. But the big thing is it's not
done in anger.

But imagine how much discourteous behavior is possible, and in fact
frequently seen in a car? Speeding, honking, buzzing, cell phoning, playing
with the radio, general inattention, eating, drinking, rapid lane changing,
tail-gating, running riders off the road, throwing things at ppl, running
stop signs, redlights. I could go on and on. The big thing here is that
most of it -is- done in anger, and b/c of immaturity.

So we all know who has to take the brunt of the suggestion to be courteous,
now, don't we? ;-)

For some drivers, just being on the road on a bike is considered
discourteous, after all bikers don't pay taxes, right? ;-D

-B