Time/Shimano SPD/SPD SL pedals and shoes compatibility

Old April 1st 04, 04:32 PM
VisionSet

Default Time/Shimano SPD/SPD SL pedals and shoes compatibility

I have an old pair of Shimano SPD flexi shoes c.10 yr old, but loads of life
in them. They have a recessed pull off sole patch. I'd now like to actually
use them clipless.
I'm going to buy a pair of pedals, but more with a view to using them with a
new pair of rigid shoes.
A LBS has a stack of reduced Time and NewWave shoes that all seem
comfortable and the right sort of thing.
Pedals I've seen I like are SPD SL R540 £30 and Time Challenge Pro which I
can get recon ones for £35ish. But the 540's are 330g a pair and the Time
are 480g!!!

1/ Will all of these be compatible?
2/ Does the cleat come with shoe or pedal?
3/ Are the drillings on the shoes compatible with both?
4/ Will my old SPD shoes take a cleat for either of these pedals?
5/ Any other advice?

Cheers!

--
Mike W

Old April 1st 04, 05:34 PM
Peter B

"VisionSet" wrote in message
I have an old pair of Shimano SPD flexi shoes c.10 yr old, but loads of

life
in them. They have a recessed pull off sole patch. I'd now like to

actually
use them clipless.
I'm going to buy a pair of pedals, but more with a view to using them with

new pair of rigid shoes.
A LBS has a stack of reduced Time and NewWave shoes that all seem
comfortable and the right sort of thing.
Pedals I've seen I like are SPD SL R540 £30 and Time Challenge Pro which I
can get recon ones for £35ish. But the 540's are 330g a pair and the Time
are 480g!!!

1/ Will all of these be compatible?

SPD R and Time cleats are incompatible. Old SPD shoes won't accept SPD-R
cleats.

2/ Does the cleat come with shoe or pedal?

The pedal.

3/ Are the drillings on the shoes compatible with both?

Sometimes nowadays, but check before you buy.

4/ Will my old SPD shoes take a cleat for either of these pedals?

Very unlikely. But check the soles, if they have only 2 short, parralel
tracks for fixings then SPD only.

5/ Any other advice?

Don't confuse SPD & SPD-R, the cleats are incompatible even if the shoe can
accept both.
I think Time pedals are more popular than SPD-R, most likely because they're
considered to be better.
--
Regards,
Pete

Old April 2nd 04, 08:45 AM
Peter Clinch

Peter B wrote:
"VisionSet" wrote in message

Pedals I've seen I like are SPD SL R540 =A330 and Time Challenge Pro wh=

ich I
can get recon ones for =A335ish. But the 540's are 330g a pair and the=

Time
are 480g!!!

So how much of a weight weenie are you? That weight difference is=20
likely about the same as a cycling jersey.

2/ Does the cleat come with shoe or pedal?

The pedal.

But note you can buy spare cleats separately, as they'll probably need=20
replacing eventually as they do wear with use.

Pete.
--=20
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/